Would people like S.American soccer on SPNET?

Dante79

I have access to both leagues on FSWC and they are not as exciting as the EPL IMHO and have little star power (excluding Robinho and Carlos Teves) to compete with the star power in the English top flight. Considering the best players from both leagues are generally sold to European clubs, I don't think it holds much interest for the average soccer fan unless you have a local rooting interest.

Sure more soccer :D

But has any-one heard if they will contine with La Liga this season.

Or Uefa Cup even though those GOL TV feeds were......shall we say unique....to be polite.

They also didn't show English tier 2 play-offs last year :(

If I had a vote . I'd vote to see some English Coca-Cola league soccer.SPL , FA Cup , League Cup, Scottish FA Cup oh hell just give me an all British Isles soccer fix . ( ouch don't yell at me [}:)] )

Let's replace the GOLF CHANNEL with the SOCCER CHANNEL and leave it on basic cable 'cuz I'm way to cheap to pay any-more for television.

But something tells me RSN & TV5 will have to satisfy my soccer wants.:(

EDIT : TSN keep showing Champions League PLEASE

Kinda surprised there isn't a Soccer Channel already. A lot of footie could be got on the super cheap if it was bought on the delay broadcast basis. Maybe get some SPL back on the air. A little English 1st or German 2nd division ball. All the good stuff.

Hard for me to watch SA football. Too used to the high octane, super intence, colder climate game. Can be pretty, though.

First, I for one would watch the Brazilian league, Argentinian league, or Mexican league. As for no name players, time resolves that with any league. Lack of star power is a matter of perception. There is no more star power in the Dutch league or scottish league if you ask me.

The top teams in Argentina Brazil or Mexico would be competitive in Europe's Champion's league. Maybe not win but they would be competitive.

As for the comments on corruption, I will put it down to naive ignorance because in recent times the Brazilian league has taken steps to clean up. The irony is that these comments are made at a time when the Scottish League is having its own relegation politics (in the developed world it's called being political, in the developing world it is called corruption). It is also funny how a single entity concept can be legal in the MLS and collusion in Major League Baseball corrupt.

I myself don't mind Brazilian and Argentinian soccer. Last season I watched a game between River Plate and Newell's Old Boys and I thought the game was great. Sportsnet showing more soccer of any major league is only a good thing.

As for the earlier comment that there aren't many Brazilian or Argentinians in Canada, you really need get your facts straight. A large part of the Portuguese communities in Toronto and Vancouver are Brazilian and I've also come across many Argentinians living in Canada. IRC, Winnipeg is home to a large Argentinian ex-pat community.

I just think it would be kool to watch those leagues as well I never said the EPL wasnt good I follow it too! but I still think that South American soccer is more exiting than EPL! as for the comment that there is no Argentinans or Brazilians here in my neighbourhood I know 3 Argentines families and 1 Brazilian family and many other south americans!

Damn straight K. I love Canada 'C' (Whitecaps) and the Mustangs now and and I couldn't name one Mustang eventhough I have met a few of them.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

As for the comments on corruption, I will put it down to naive ignorance because in recent times the Brazilian league has taken steps to clean up.

What the hell are you talking about dude. (insert raised middle finger here)

Didnt you follow the formation of the Barzilian League? Remember the first season only a few years ago with the 3 colour leagues and the ridiculous playoff scheme. Did you follow the collapse of the first World Club Cup and how the failure was due to the corruption of Brazillian sports marketing firms. Do you remember when the Brazilian goverment launched a probe into the corruption of the game, and recommended a large number of soccer official be sent to jail.

You'd better leave your house once in a while before you call someone else ignorant, ****. When did you join MENSA? I joined in March/03.

Yes I did not say it didn't have problems and I did say it has been cleaning up.

And it continues to evolve and mature like the rest of Brazilian society. Also for your information, the Brazilian government has about the same credibility as Brazilian League management.

I am sorry if I offended you with my comment about ignorance but my point still stands. The Brazilian league has improved and continues to do so. Two years ago when Palmeiras was relegated, the team's management tried in vain to overturn that season's outcome. The relegation was upheld (which would not have happened a few years before). Palmeiras was successful in getting promoted once again and plays at the top level this year.

Just so you know. I do get out of my house sometimes. I have in fact spent about one month out of the last 9 months in Brazil in two separate trips... But maybe I have had my eyes closed all the time while I was there? And no I don't need outside assurance of MENSA to comfort me.

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

wrong there are many plus not only Brazilians or Argentinians would watch the games!

Yes, but there's a STRONG correlation between the # of south americans living in a particular area and the # of people in that same area who would watch south american football.

And, no, there are NOT alot of Brasilians or Argentinians living in Canada. I know the Queens suburb of New York City probably has more South Americans than all of Canada and yet over here those S. American football leagues are STILL only on NICHE channels like GolTV and Fox Espanol.

Based on those facts I'll let you figure out why these leagues won't be on MAIN Canadian TV channels anytime soon.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Yes I did not say it didn't have problems and I did say it has been cleaning up.

Sorry I flew off the handle a bit. Bad day at the cracker factory. I actually have close Brazilian friends, and one of them forced her mom to mail me a Flamenco jersey. I am a big Lula supporter.

As for my dislike of the football, I just tells it like I sees it. I had a subscription to World Soccer and was always stunned that the only 2 countries not listed in the League section in the wole world was Canada and Brazil. I got shafted in that World Club Cup fiasco. I would rather see support and TV money go toward almost any other league.

I grew up in a cowboy town, so I got called stupid a lot. Now that I found out I'm smart I don't konw what to think.

My best to you, Oranje. We'd probably get along if we met.:)

No offense taken.. But can't say I'm a Lula supporter (hard to imagine a leftist properly dealing with a government bureaucracy that is to big for the country). Most of my friends and business associates were supporters of Cardoso; but, he reached the two-term limit on his Presidency and his candidate wasn't successful.

As for the problems in Brazilian soccer, it largely centred on the National team if I remember correctly and its relationship with NIKE (using money to influence player selection).

Club management still has issues but really no worse than some of the issues with some clubs in Europe. For example, Palmeiras had links to Parma through Parmalat and there was a lot of talk that transfers of their best players were happening in a way that caused Palmeiras to slide. And that mess is being sorted out.

I will say again that when I traveled to Brazil, the people are wonderful and games that I watched were very enjoyable. In a separate thread I said I followed Sao Paulo FC. I kind of fell into that because the club seemed to be the most professional in its approach (and letting me onto field level at Morumbi Stadium helps too). Maybe too professional for some fans as they sell players at their maximum value.

Bottomline, I enjoy the style of play and yes, I would watch Brazilian soccer if it was shown on Sportsnet. Would there be enough of an audience, I don't know.

First though, I think Sportsnet should show more A-League soccer with Canadian teams as I think regional Canadian content was part of their mandate in getting a broadcast licence.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Sorry I flew off the handle a bit. Bad day at the cracker factory. I actually have close Brazilian friends, and one of them forced her mom to mail me a Flamenco jersey. I am a big Lula supporter.

As for my dislike of the football, I just tells it like I sees it. I had a subscription to World Soccer and was always stunned that the only 2 countries not listed in the League section in the wole world was Canada and Brazil. I got shafted in that World Club Cup fiasco. I would rather see support and TV money go toward almost any other league.

I grew up in a cowboy town, so I got called stupid a lot. Now that I found out I'm smart I don't konw what to think.

My best to you, Oranje. We'd probably get along if we met.:)

Just because you have many argentine friends it doesn't mean that Canada has a large hispanic community.

Amacpher is right, the hispanic community in Canada is small. In the 2001 census, the 213,000 people were listed as spanish in their ethnic background and 41,000 being from latin america. Campare that to the Italians, Germans, Chinese and Ukrainians (sp?) which were all over 1 million.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/ETO/Table1.cfm?Lang=E&T=501&GV=1&GID=0

Back to the question ...

I think enough Brazilian and Argentinian soccer is already shown on

Fox Sportsworld Canada. Frankly I don't find it as exciting as EPL

or the Bundesliga, but there were several great games as well.

So no, Sportsnet shouldn't show more Latin American games, they should

instead show ALL games involving all of Canada's national teams, ESPECIALLY if the game was held here. Couldn't believe the Canada B games against Millwall and Hearts weren't televised ...

As for a Soccer Channel, Fox Sportworld Canada has applied to the

CRTC to be licensed as a soccer-rugby-and-cricket channel. So you

all may get your wish.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Back to the question ...

I think enough Brazilian and Argentinian soccer is already shown on

Fox Sportsworld Canada. Frankly I don't find it as exciting as EPL

or the Bundesliga, but there were several great games as well.

So no, Sportsnet shouldn't show more Latin American games, they should

instead show ALL games involving all of Canada's national teams, ESPECIALLY if the game was held here. Couldn't believe the Canada B games against Millwall and Hearts weren't televised ...

As for a Soccer Channel, Fox Sportworld Canada has applied to the

CRTC to be licensed as a soccer-rugby-and-cricket channel. So you

all may get your wish.

The only thing I agree with you is the fact that Sportsnet should show more Canadian soccer!

Archived