Canucks on trial at Ipswich Town....

Winnipeg Fury

Don't have any idea what Peters' deal was in Kaiserslautern but it would be a long slog to the first team there from the Youth team. With his performance as member of Canadian Development Team, I sense he and Wilson may have benefitted from the added competition between clubs by Millwall immediate signing of Simpson and then announcing that they will dress him for their game against Plymouth.

I suspect some at Ipswitch are asking why they didn't get there first with their superior contacts to Canadian Soccer (Yallop, Forrest, and now DeVos).

I will also add that with the slight financial budgets in the "Championship" (Division 1 last year and for us old timers, Division 2), they will play if they can help.. There is no room in the budget for politics.

Guest Can. in UK

Ipswich have posted tonight's line-up for a reserves match on their web-site. It includes the name Peters, but no Wilson.

Guest Can. in UK

Apparently Peters played well enough to impress last night. Joe Royle said he'd like to sign him, but Peters is off to Derby first for another trial. (Interesting to note the Canadian connection at both clubs.)

In the same article, the Ipswich reserves coach mentioned that Peters has been called up for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers. Is this true?

yep from the website it seems they are keen to sign him and that he has been called up. It would be great to have a 17 year old playing in the Championship.

Here's the article (took it from the source code, so their is some html in it)

Canadian triallist Jaime Peters has impressed Town in his time at Portman Road and reserve team boss Steve McCall has revealed that the Club are keen on signing him.<BR><BR>The 17-year-old winger was in the reserves' side that beat Needham Market 5-0 in a friendly on Monday night and Steve told the Club website: "The lad has done well in his time here but he is going up to Derby as well for a trial and we will have to see how it goes.<BR><BR>"I know he has impressed people here and the manager is keen to sign him but we will have to see how things work out.<BR><BR>"He plays wide on the right or up front and is similar to David Johnson in some ways.<BR><BR>"Canada rate him and Frank Yallop has named the lad in his squad for their World Cup games, which given his age is some achievement."<BR><BR>Also on trial at the Club and on target in the win at Needham Market was Ludo Guentchev, son for former Town striker Bontcho.<BR><BR>"Ludo took his goal well last night and is doing okay here at the moment," adds Steve.<BR><BR>The other scorers for the reserves were Scott Mitchell with two, Ben Patten and Billy Clarke.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

"Canada rate him and Frank Yallop has named the lad in his squad for their World Cup games, which given his age is some achievement."

I wonder if this is true, which would mean that Peters has been named to our squad for next week's match against Guatemala, or if the Ipswich spokesperson was confusing the "B team" Peters was called up for in Vancouver with the "A team" competing in the World Cup qualifiers.

That is interesting, considering Yallop's connections to Ipswich. Maybe they know something we don't.

I've got no problem with handing senior caps to these youngsters and cap-tying them (not that I'm worried about Peters :D). Heck call a new u-20 player up for every official game and give them a run-out for a cap. Let's nail down Charowski next, just to be sure. :D:D

Guest Can. in UK

From Sky Sports:

Ipswich Town have revealed their interest in signing highly-rated Canadian youngster Jaime Peters.

The 17-year-old winger has impressed the Championship side after joining Town for pre-season training this summer.

Peters has been on the books of German Bundesliga outfit Kaiserslautern and will also be having a trial with Championship rivals Derby County in the near future.

The Pickering, Ontario native has an impressive international resume at such a tender age, with the midfielder having earned caps for his country at Under-17, Under-20 and Olympic Under-23 levels.

The player is poised to be named in Frank Yallop's full Canada squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers in the Concacaf region.

Ipswich reserve team manager Steve McCall stated their delight at watching the young North American talent in action with the club's second string.

"The lad has done well in his time here, but he is going up to Derby as well for a trial and we will have to see how it goes," McCall told the club's official website.

"He plays wide on the right or up front and is similar to David Johnson in some ways.

"Canada rate him and Frank Yallop has named the lad in his squad for their World Cup games, which given his age is some achievement."

Archived