Voyageurs Cup Match 16: Montreal vs. Vancouver [R]

DJT

<center>Voyageurs Cup 2004

Match 16Montreal Impact vs. Vancouver WhitecapsFriday, August 6, 2004 - 8:00 PM EDT

Claude Robillard Sports Complex, MontrealTelevision: Live on FSWC and FSW; 11:00 PM EDT on RDS (French)

Radio/Audio Webcast: CKAC 730 AM Montreal (French)</center>

Scenarios

[*](Vancouver are already eliminated from the possibility of winning Voyageurs Cup 2004.)

Match Previews

[*]Montreal

» VC:  4-2-0  11-2  14  /  A-League:  14-4-4  32-11  46

» Impact media release

» The Gazette

[*]Vancouver

» VC:  2-1-3  8-11  7  /  A-League:  12-3-5  28-19  39

» Krammerhead

[*]Voyageurs Cup media release

[*]MatchNight!

[*]USL/FSW (through OurSports Central)

Voyageurs Cup

Final:

Montreal 0 Vancouver 0

Montreal got some good chances in that second half of extra time, including what was probably the best chance of the match when the ball was cut across into open space in front of the net but Biello couldn't get a shot away as the ball was a bit too far in front of him. Montreal seemed to be taking more and more control as the second half and extra time wore on.

Sandro Grande did very well again, and really should be looked at by Yallop while he's looking at other A-League players.

Thats the problem with back to back games. The Whitecaps were happy to sit a lot of regulars on the bench and play for a scoreless draw.

Luckily the local pub let us watch the game. Shame both teams had no finish. At least I learned one thing tonight. Carl Valentine doesn't like celery.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

After 57 minutes:

Montreal 0 Vancouver 0

Attendance: 11,019

Great attendance. Outside of the "Championsworld", that's a Canaidan record for a soccer match since the Women's friendly against Mexico last Labour Day Weekend (and will be the second highest until the end of the year for this year with the Honduras match first)?

Right?

Amazingly, this is the first scoreless draw ever in the Voyageurs Cup. It took 40 matches before we got one! (No match was 0-0 after 90 minutes, so the existence of extra time is not a factor in this stat.)

Another interesting fact: in the first two years combined (24 matches) there were a total of 2 draws, while this year alone (16 matches) there have been 5 draws.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Amazingly, this is the first scoreless draw ever in the Voyageurs Cup. It took 40 matches before we got one! (No match was 0-0 after 90 minutes, so the existence of extra time is not a factor in this stat.)

Another interesting fact: in the first two years combined (24 matches) there were a total of 2 draws, while this year alone (16 matches) there have been 5 draws.

do you still compile the goal scoring leaders? I didn't see that this year. what about all-time V-cup scorers

Still don't like overtime.

Thought the match was pretty well paced all things considered. Both sides looked a little lost around the attacking penalty areas but not completely wittless either.

Okay match by my standards. 'Caps strung together a few nice plays as the need arose. Impact were suitably aggressive enough. Few dodgy tackles, but nothing too sinister. Love those two-foot-spikes-first launched sliding tackles!

Thought the Impact were going to grab the points there a couple of times towards the end and into overtime. Nice away point for the 'Caps.

Seen on another thread Daniel warning us about the pitch at CCR but it looked pretty damn good to me. Certainly better than Richardson and I don't think I saw any rolling balls get hopping except for maybe once or twice. Looks a fair enough size too.

Wondering why they don't set up bleachers behind the nets? A lot of unused infield there.

P.S. Crowds keep coming, eh? I don't care what they charge for tickets. Some places you can give them away and people won't go. The Impact are onto something or they've found their niche. Either way, I hope the trend holds.

quote:Great attendance. Outside of the "Championsworld", that's a Canaidan record for a soccer match since the Women's friendly against Mexico last Labour Day Weekend (and will be the second highest until the end of the year for this year with the Honduras match first)?

Surely you don't think those championsworld attendances didn't set any kind of Canadian records for single game attendances in Canada?

quote:Wondering why they don't set up bleachers behind the nets? A lot of unused infield there.

They don't want to damage the track.

I forgot about the game last evening and just happened to catch the replay this morning.

All in all not a bad display. Have not watched an A-League game in quite some time but if this was the customary level I would watch more.

Agree with Krammerhead that it is a shame that neither team could finish.

After having read all of the posts concerning Grande and his "Italia v. Canada" etc. comments I was prepared to dislike him but thought he had a good, hard game. That late yellow card for Sulentic looked like payback for the knock Grande put on him in the first half. Grande can certainly strike a ball from the dead ball spot.

Nice crowd for the Impact organization. Is there public transit to CCR? I know when I played there years ago it was pretty much out of the way.

Another minor point that perhaps Krammerhead or other Whitecap fans can assist with. Your keeper Marquez. Is it pronounced like "Mark the spot" or as in rhymes with "Lopez"?

It's spelled Marques, actually his last name is really Marques-Delgado.

It's pronounced as "marks", as in he marks his man.

It's a shame that Dick Howard continued to perpetuate the myth, making it sound like the Caps went to Portugal to find Marques. Marques had moved to Canada, working as a concrete pre-fabricator (which he still does all season long) and was playing in the VMSL on the same team as Tony Fonseca plays for when Fonseca asked hom to try out for the team.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Nice crowd for the Impact organization. Is there public transit to CCR? I know when I played there years ago it was pretty much out of the way.

It's one block off the highway and surrounded by parking and has a metro station 5 minutes away. It is EXTREMELY accessible, although not central at all (North of the city, not much around).

Saputo has repeated that he rather wants 9,000 in a packed stadium than 9,000 in a 20,000 stadium (cough McGill cough). Although the whole point of McGill is to get bigger crowds. Anyways... we're just waiting for a new stadium because adding bleachers is NOT a permanent solution by a long shot.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Surely you don't think those championsworld attendances didn't set any kind of Canadian records for single game attendances in Canada?

He said since the Women's friendly against Mexico, so I'm sure the answer would be no.

Archived