Canada vs Costa Rica to be played in Vancouver

Jarrek

CANADA vs COSTA RICA WILL BE PLAYED IN VANCOUVER

Final Home Semi-final Round World Cup Qualifying Game to Be Played At Swangard Stadium on October 13th

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced that Canada’s third home game of the CONCACAF semi-final round qualifications for 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany TM against Costa Rica will be played at Swangard Stadium in Vancouver on Wednesday, October 13th at 7:00 p.m. (local).

Grandstand tickets for all ages will be priced at $39.00 and $34.00, bleacher tickets at $27.00, and end zone tickets are $15.00.

Tickets will be available beginning Monday, August 16th at 9:00 a.m. PT through all Ticketmaster ticket centers, the Ticketmaster charge-by-phone centre at (604) 280-4444, and on the Ticketmaster website www.ticketmaster.ca. Tickets will be subject to handling & applicable taxes.

Group B Semi-Final Round 2004 (Three Groups of Four)

Game 1 - August 18 – Canada v Guatemala – Vancouver, BC

Game 2 - September 4 – Canada v Honduras– Edmonton, AB

Game 3 - September 8 – Costa Rica v Canada – San Jose, Costa Rica Game 4 - October 9 – Honduras v Canada - Honduras Game 5 - October 13 – Canada v Costa Rica – Vancouver, BC Game 6 - November 17 – Guatemala v Canada – Guatemala City, Guatemala

The top two in the group will advance to the final stage which consists of a group of six teams.

Match Dates: February 9, March 26/27, March 30, June 4/5, June 8, August 17, September 3/4, September 7, October 8/9 and October 12, 2005.

<mailto:natteams@soccercan.ca>

Please see the attached news release for details.

CSA Communications Department

Phone: (613) 237-7678 ext. 242

email: rivan@soccercan.ca

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I agree with this.

With the group that we are in, every game matters, and any possible advantage we can muster up must be used. Therefore, I would have much rather seen the Oct. 13 match played at a colder venue, such as Commonwealth, Winnipeg, Ottawa... pretty much anywhere in Canada except BC.

Perhaps the CSA did look into these options and nothing was available. Either way it's disappointing.

Here's to an unseasonable cold snap in the Vancouver area on that day.

I'm surprised by this. I thought we could draw a respectable crowd in Edmonton and we could have a little cooler weather.

Oh well, it looks like I'm going to wind up going to Vancouver anyway. I already have that week booked off.

cheers,

matthew

Edmonton Eskimos play a game at home on October the 11th, maybe they think thats not enough time to remove CFL lines and get the soccer lines up. Perhaps the field will be in too rough a shape.

Ottawa Renegades have a home game October 9th, perhaps the same reason above apply.

Winnepeg soccer complex is out of use this year, and Canad Inns has an AstroPlay surface, not FIFA approved.

I'm torn about this news: Love the idea that I can see the Nats play on my home turf, but I sort of wished we'd use the cold to our advantage. Still, Vancouver can get cool in October, and if the rains set in, then this will be a decent advantage for our lads. It won't be killer hot--not likely--and 7pm in the middle of October in Vancouver is not balmy by any means. Still, it isn't generally frigid either.

My biggest worry--making sure that we pack the house full of Canadian fans, and shutting the Tico fans out. Tickets go on sale really soon, which is a disadvantage for us--the Tico fans will be first at the gates in ferocious fashion while the non-Voyageur public for the most part will not even know about tickets until late September.

Time for the Voyageurs to start looking into piss-filled "water" baloons? Or maybe some rank cucumbers?

Maybe not.

Great news and yes it is cold in Burnaby in October especialy at Swangard becasue of the higher elevation and the trees it can be a mighty cold place even in the late summer at the Whitecaps matches I find I need a coat. Bring on the Ticos !

Probably the very very slow sale so far of the tickets at Commonwealth for the Honduras match, and the near sellout at Swangard for Guate, had a factor as well. The turnout on September 4 will go a long way to dtermine how many matches Commonwealth gets if we make the hex. Not much of a marketing drive here so far.

Vancouver seems to be a preference for most of the players and the coaching staff, and keeping them happy is a very important element. For this reason we'll see no FieldTurf matches in Canada, period. The players, at least the current ones, hate it. If we make the hex, we may get the Trinidad match in Kingston or St. John's, but all the rest will be out west.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

It's also damn slippery what with the dew that starts forming in the early evenings on the Swangard pitch.

That would be great, as CR will have just got off their two previous matches on the FieldTurf at Saprissa, and hopefully the transition will hurt them.

quote:Originally posted by Footy

Great news and yes it is cold in Burnaby in October especialy at Swangard becasue of the higher elevation and the trees it can be a mighty cold place even in the late summer at the Whitecaps matches I find I need a coat. Bring on the Ticos !

Excuse me for asking but isn't Burnaby essentially at sea level?

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Excuse me for asking but isn't Burnaby essentially at sea level?

Swangard is located on a bit of a hill but I wouldn't confuse it with Azteca.It used to get pretty cold at night in mid October but the weather trend in recent years has kept the temps mild by Canadian standards.

quote:Originally posted by beacheslVancouver seems to be a preference for most of the players and the coaching staff, and keeping them happy is a very important element. For this reason we'll see no FieldTurf matches in Canada, period. The players, at least the current ones, hate it. If we make the hex, we may get the Trinidad match in Kingston or St. John's, but all the rest will be out west.

One of the reporters who was at the Kingston game was telling me that the players really don't like flying out West for games because of the added flight time and jet-lag. Supposedly, Radz said that coming back to NA to play WCQ is very hard and he think he might participate in 6-10 games (not something we want to hear).

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

CANADA vs COSTA RICA WILL BE PLAYED IN VANCOUVER

Final Home Semi-final Round World Cup Qualifying Game to Be Played At Swangard Stadium on October 13th

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced that Canada’s third home game of the CONCACAF semi-final round qualifications for 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany TM against Costa Rica will be played at Swangard Stadium in Vancouver on Wednesday, October 13th at 7:00 p.m. (local).

Grandstand tickets for all ages will be priced at $39.00 and $34.00, bleacher tickets at $27.00, and end zone tickets are $15.00.

Tickets will be available beginning Monday, August 16th at 9:00 a.m. PT through all Ticketmaster ticket centers, the Ticketmaster charge-by-phone centre at (604) 280-4444, and on the Ticketmaster website www.ticketmaster.ca. Tickets will be subject to handling & applicable taxes.

Lame and predictable.

quote:One of the reporters who was at the Kingston game was telling me that the players really don't like flying out West for games because of the added flight time and jet-lag. Supposedly, Radz said that coming back to NA to play WCQ is very hard and he think he might participate in 6-10 games (not something we want to hear).

Do you think they'd rather play in frigid temperatures?

quote:Lame and predictable.

So is your response.

Well, I am not sure how you would sell tickets in Commonwealth if nobody has heard a thing about it on radio, tv or newspaper. This must be the worst advertised game thus far in Edmonton coming on the heals of the fall of Aviators. It's very strange, but the crowd at Commonwealth is going to be terrible if things go the way they are going.

For Trinidad, we had a law firm that was taking control of the game's advertising. For this game, nothing! I wonder what has happened behind the doors in terms of advertising because this is terrible.

I now have a new concerned about canada's chances in WCQ. Never mind, injuries, suspensions, goalkeeping, pace on defence, defensive depth, or overall team depth. By far and away, the number one concern now will be performance due to jet lag and travel fatigue. I can understand the reasoning for the august date in the Pac time zone since afterall the players are still in preseason mode and it is one game only.

But Yallop is now asking players who live 8-10 time zones away to make three trips back in the span of three months. Due to required stop overs, a player in germany may have to spend 14-15 hour traveling and then will return to his club and likely not be in a game ready condition for their club ( who already hate to lose players for WCQ in the first place). Whereas the opposition will probably have less than half the distance to travel and may not even have to cross a time zone. Yet I thought that Yallop really wanted to create a home pitch advantage atmosphere?

There are tons of examples of travel fatigue affecting athlets performance. Look no futher than canada's medal counts n past olympics.

Should the unthinkable happened, I predict that the **** will hit fan over this one.

Archived