Hirschfeld to Dundee United?

An Observer

From the Evening Telegraph

HIRSCHFELD FOR TANNADICE?

Dundee United’s search for a back-up goalkeeper has taken on an international flavour with Canadian Lars Hirschfeld arriving at Tannadice (writes Tom Duthie).

The 25-year-old is understood to have taken part as a trialist as the Tangerines beat local juniors Carnoustie Panmure 3-2 in a friendly last night.

With 16 caps to his name, he has been battling with ex-United man Pat Onstad for the No. 1 jersey in the Canadian international team and, at club level, has been on the books of Spurs for the last couple of seasons.

During that time, he has been out on loan to Gillingham and Luton and, with the Londoners signing Paul Robinson from Leeds this summer, is well down the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

As he tries to become a regular for his country, a move to the SPL would almost certainly suit Hirschfeld, though, at this stage, it is not known if his performance last night will be enough to earn him the offer of a long-term deal in the City of Discovery.

Also in United’s line-up again was ex-Leicester midfielder Tom Williamson, who trained and had a game with them last week, while Ayr United’s Aaron Black also made a return visit.

The 20-year-old had to cut short a trial last month because of illness, but has now recovered and played the full game.

The first-team squad was given today off by boss Ian McCall and they will complete their preparations for Saturday’s SPL opener on the plastic pitch at Dunfermline with training sessions at Gussie Park tomorrow and on Friday.

United won’t be exercising their right to have a workout at East End Park in advance of the game.

“The surface at Gussie is not that similar to East End Park, but we now know what to expect down there and I feel travelling through on a Thursday or Friday to train there just disrupts the normal routine,” explained Ian.

I am not so sure that its a bad move. Their starting keeper from last year Paul Gallagher has moved on and their current number one only played a handful of matches last year (he was the back up). I think if Lars signs with them, he will have had some assurances that he can compete for the number one job.

Guest Can. in UK

I was just thinking the same thing, after having read the other keeper's bio on the Dundee United web-site. Obviously I have never seen him play but considering his background (i.e. non-league) Hirschfeld may have a shot at starting.

From Dundee United web-site (in regards to current #1):

"Tony was not signed with the intention that he would be the first choice keeper nor as deputy..."

Guest Can. in UK

FROM SKYSPORTS:

Canadian international Lars Hirschfeld is currently training with Dundee United following his release from Tottenham Hotspur.

Hirschfeld was axed by Spurs at the end of last season after just over two years at White Hart Lane.

The goalkeeper failed to make the breakthrough with the Premiership club but undertook a loan spell at Gillingham last term.

He has now pitched up in Scotland in an attempt to convince Terrors manager Ian McCall that he can solve his goalkeeping dilemma.

After losing Paul Gallacher to Norwich City, McCall is bereft of cover in the shot-stopping department and has handed Hirschfeld the chance to clinch a deal.

Hirschfeld has been training with the Tannadice club this week and he also featured in a friendly against junior side Carnoustie Panmure.

The North American will now be waiting to discover if he has impressed McCall sufficiently to earn a deal in The SPL.

From the Daily Record....it seems he has a chance at the No. 1

FOOTBALL: LARS CHANCE TO IMPRESS UNITED Aug 5 2004

By Alan Marshall

DUNDEE UNITED have taken Canadian keeper Lars Hirschfield on trial as Tannadice boss Ian McCall tries to find a replacement for Scotland No.1 Paul Gallacher.

The 25-year-old, who is currently at Tottenham Hotspur, has 16 full caps with Canada and turned out for United in a midweek friendly against junior side Carnoustie Panmure.

Spurs' capture of Paul Robinson from Leeds this summer has forced Hirschfield further down the pecking order at White Hart Lane, while McCall only has Tony Bullock to call on between the sticks following Gallacher's move to Norwich.

The Canadian could be tempted by the prospect of regular first-team football in order to enhance his international prospects - ironically, Hirschfield vies for his national No.1 jersey with former United keeper Pat Onstad.

McCall was keeping tight-lipped yesterday over the prospects of offering Hirschfield a deal - and was similarly non- committal concerning his other two trialists, ex-Leicester City midfielder Tom Williamson and former Ayr United defender Aaron Black.

Meanwhile, McCall has waived the right for his players to train on Dunfermline's artificial surface at East End Park ahead of Saturday's SPL opener.

He said: 'We now know what to expect there and I feel travelling through on a Thursday or Friday to train there tends to disrupt our normal routine.'

From the Daily Record....it seems he has a chance at the No. 1

FOOTBALL: LARS CHANCE TO IMPRESS UNITED Aug 5 2004

By Alan Marshall

DUNDEE UNITED have taken Canadian keeper Lars Hirschfield on trial as Tannadice boss Ian McCall tries to find a replacement for Scotland No.1 Paul Gallacher.

The 25-year-old, who is currently at Tottenham Hotspur, has 16 full caps with Canada and turned out for United in a midweek friendly against junior side Carnoustie Panmure.

Spurs' capture of Paul Robinson from Leeds this summer has forced Hirschfield further down the pecking order at White Hart Lane, while McCall only has Tony Bullock to call on between the sticks following Gallacher's move to Norwich.

The Canadian could be tempted by the prospect of regular first-team football in order to enhance his international prospects - ironically, Hirschfield vies for his national No.1 jersey with former United keeper Pat Onstad.

McCall was keeping tight-lipped yesterday over the prospects of offering Hirschfield a deal - and was similarly non- committal concerning his other two trialists, ex-Leicester City midfielder Tom Williamson and former Ayr United defender Aaron Black.

Meanwhile, McCall has waived the right for his players to train on Dunfermline's artificial surface at East End Park ahead of Saturday's SPL opener.

He said: 'We now know what to expect there and I feel travelling through on a Thursday or Friday to train there tends to disrupt our normal routine.'

More on Hirschfeld.....seems the gaffer is impressed by him (its at the bottom of the article)

RITCHIE FOR TANNADICE

Dundee United boss Ian McCall’s perseverance is set to pay off when he lands Scotland squad member Paul Ritchie tomorrow (writes Tom Duthie).

The former Hearts, Rangers and Manchester City defender trained at Tannadice today and, after initial signing talks went well, Ian expressed the hope that he would have his man fixed up in time for Saturday’s league opener at Dunfermline.

He has been monitoring Ritchie’s situation all summer and last weekend the 28-year-old was publicly linked with a switch to Tannadice.

The chances of that happening seemed dead when Ritchie started what was supposed to be an extended trial at Sheffield United at the beginning of the week.

However, he has decided to listen closely to what United have to offer and now looks set to make a return to his native land.

“He was in for training today and we’ve had a chat, which has gone well, and there’s a good chance something could happen tomorrow,” said Ian.

“I’m reasonably optimistic about the situation, although until a deal is done I will always remain cautious.”

The need to bolster the rearguard has increased with the news that Scott Paterson’s injury nightmare continues. The man who has completed just one competitive game since joining the Tangerines over a year ago is now facing another three weeks out.

The big centre-half has had a scan on the hamstring he injured during the warm-up for last month’s friendly against Bolton and that has revealed a tear.

“It’s high up on his hamstring and, while it is nothing too serious, he is going to be out for another few weeks,” confirmed the manager.

Meanwhile, Canadian international Lars Hirschfeld is still working at Tannadice after impressing during Tuesday night’s friendly win over Carnoustie Panmure. The 25-year-old keeper is a free agent after leaving Spurs and, despite only arriving a couple of days ago, has already gone a long way to earning a deal at United.

“He only played a half down at Carnoustie, but he did enough to show that he is worth having a look at,” added Ian.

I'm confused as to how this could be considered a bad move. Sure, I would've preferred it if he caught on with Gillingham or some such team, but I think fighting for the #1 spot on an SPL team is nothing to sneeze at.

I prefer hearing this news to hearing that he's going to be training with Calgary or Edmonton. Especially this close to the start of the season.

Baby steps...

Guess there aren't any Dundee fans on this board.

Well if he dose get on, as the keep he can choose his own shirt and won't have to wear those God awful Dundee kits.

If he dose get on he'll spend a third of the season playing the likes of Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Killie. Yeah, what ****ty competition.

If I was Yallop I'd write him off right now.

Paul plea by Arabs

163 words

6 August 2004

The Express

English

© 2004 Express Newspapers

DUNDEE UNITED boss Ian McCall has lured Paul Ritchie to Tannadice - and the Scotland defender is set to sign for the Tangerines ahead of tomorrow's SPL opener at Dunfermline.

Former Hearts, Rangers, Bolton and Manchester City man Ritchie has been a free agent since severing ties with Walsall this summer.

Although he has been on trial with Sheffield United, the 28-year-old, at McCall's request, turned up at Tannadice yesterday to train.

"While I am reasonably hopeful things can be tied up, I would never be entirely optimistic until a deal is actually done, " said McCall.

"He has had offers from other places so there is still work to be done - but he would, without question, strengthen our defence."

Meanwhile, the Tannadice gaffer could be ready to table an offer to trialist goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld.

The Canadian, freed by Tottenham, has caught the eye during his guest spell on Tayside and a deal could be imminent.

Its beginning to sound more and more like Dundee United. I think its a good move...

FOOTBALL: THAT'S RITCH .. PAUL READY TO SIGN FOR ARABS Aug 6 2004

DUNDEE UNITED boss Ian McCall has lured Paul Ritchie to Tannadice - and the Scotland defender is expected to sign ahead of tomorrow's SPL opener at Dunfermline.

The former Hearts, Rangers and Manchester City man passed a medical yesterday and has agreed a six-month deal.

Ritchie has been a free agent since severing ties with Walsall this summer.

Although he has been on trial with Sheffield United in recent weeks, the 28-year-old turned up at Tannadice yesterday at McCall's request to train with the Arabs' first team squad.

And the United gaffer is now keeping his fingers crossed that Ritchie will agree to sign.

McCall said:'Paul is training with us and we have had a positive chat about the possibility of him signing.

'While I am reasonably hopeful that things can be tied up, I would never be entirely optimistic until a deal is actually done.

'He has had offers from other places so there is still work to bedone.

'But he has a great pedigree and would, without question, strengthen our defence, so I'll be delighted if we get him.' Meanwhile, the Tannadice boss could be ready to offer a deal to trialist goalkeeper Lars Hirschfield.

The Canadian, currently on Tottenham's books, caught McCall's eye during his guest spell on Tayside, and the manager admits that a deal could be imminent.

He said: 'Lars has been very impressive, and we plan to see him in another game.'

Injury-hit defender Scott Paterson has undergone a scan on his hamstring problem, and results show a tear in the affected area.

The former Partick Thistle and Morton man is expected to be out of action for at least three weeks.

Its beginning to sound more and more like Dundee United. I think its a good move...

FOOTBALL: THAT'S RITCH .. PAUL READY TO SIGN FOR ARABS Aug 6 2004

DUNDEE UNITED boss Ian McCall has lured Paul Ritchie to Tannadice - and the Scotland defender is expected to sign ahead of tomorrow's SPL opener at Dunfermline.

The former Hearts, Rangers and Manchester City man passed a medical yesterday and has agreed a six-month deal.

Ritchie has been a free agent since severing ties with Walsall this summer.

Although he has been on trial with Sheffield United in recent weeks, the 28-year-old turned up at Tannadice yesterday at McCall's request to train with the Arabs' first team squad.

And the United gaffer is now keeping his fingers crossed that Ritchie will agree to sign.

McCall said:'Paul is training with us and we have had a positive chat about the possibility of him signing.

'While I am reasonably hopeful that things can be tied up, I would never be entirely optimistic until a deal is actually done.

'He has had offers from other places so there is still work to bedone.

'But he has a great pedigree and would, without question, strengthen our defence, so I'll be delighted if we get him.' Meanwhile, the Tannadice boss could be ready to offer a deal to trialist goalkeeper Lars Hirschfield.

The Canadian, currently on Tottenham's books, caught McCall's eye during his guest spell on Tayside, and the manager admits that a deal could be imminent.

He said: 'Lars has been very impressive, and we plan to see him in another game.'

Injury-hit defender Scott Paterson has undergone a scan on his hamstring problem, and results show a tear in the affected area.

The former Partick Thistle and Morton man is expected to be out of action for at least three weeks.

From my point of view, because he hasn't started anywhere, it will be very difficult to walk into any team as a keeper and be confirmed as the number 1. That's why I think Dundee United might not be a bad option. They don't have a proven number one so are probably looking for someone who can challenge for the role but are not willing to spring for the cost of someoone who would automatically take the starting roll.

Guest Can. in UK

DUNDEE UNITED boss Ian McCall last night completed the signing of Paul Ritchie - and revealed he wants more new faces.

The Scotland defender, who was also wanted by Kilmarnock, has agreed a deal that will keep him at Tannadice until January.

Now McCall wants to further strengthen his squad as Canadian internationalist keeper Lars Hirschfeld gets ready to play in tonight's reserve clash against Dunfermline.

McCall said: 'I'd be happy if we got another keeper and one more outfield player.'

Found the game report of Dundee United's reserve match with Lars in goal. In a capsule he didn't have much work but came through when he had to:

"Wilson hit a tremendous shot on the turn that the Hirschfeld tipped over brilliantly."

and this from Dundee United's assistant manager:

"Our keeper did not have a lot to deal with but what he did have to do he did very well and he looked very good."

the full report is at:

http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?tm=2&nid=1680&cd=2004&cd1=8

Here's the latest on Lars. It does appear that Dundee UTD are expected to extend a 6-month contract. This actually sucks big time. I don't see any benefits for Lars in a short term contract. It does not offer him any flexibility for him to manoeuvre himself to a starting role under such short period of time.

---------------

General Sport - 11 August 2004

IMPRESSIVE RITCHIE SET FOR DERBY CALL

Dundee United boss Ian McCall declared himself delighted with the performance of new signing Paul Ritchie after his impressive scoring display for the reserves last night (writes Bryan Kay).

Ritchie capped a fine 90 minutes for the second string with a goal in the last minute during the 3-0 win over Dunfermline at Tannadice.

“Paul played really well over the 90 minutes, but he needs a couple of games to get him up to match fitness,” said McCall. “He will be in the squad again for the derby on Sunday.”

The manager praised the general performance of the reserve team, playing their first game of the season.

“The team, in general, played well and they probably could have won by a lot more, and it was good to see the young guys play so well because we really want them to try harder.”

Also putting in a fine performance last night was Collin Samuel. The Trinidadian striker has struggled to nail down a regular starting berth since he signed for United from Falkirk at the end of McCall’s first season in charge.

Critics have said he looks to lack confidence, but McCall defended his forward, saying, “Collin put in a good performance last night, played really well and got a goal. He has a lot of good attributes, he just needs to be more consistent.”

On the signing front, United are still striving to sign up another two players and trialist keeper Lars Hirschfeld did his chances of securing a contract no harm with another fine display last night.

McCall indicated today that Hirschfeld is likely to be offered a six-month contract within the next couple of days.

Charlie Miller, who trained with the Tangerines yesterday, headed back to Norway today and the United manager insisted the midfielder had merely sought training facilities with the club while he was back in Scotland.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2004/08/11/gensport.shtm

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

personally....if i was Lars I might reconsider if they were only offering a six month contract.

I do think that Lars should say no</u> to this deal. The deal surely demonstrates that the club is not willing to invest in him under a long term basis. This is a sad deal that holds no value, and I personally feel that Lars will be wasting his time. How could Lars crack the 1st line-up of a squad under such short term conditions??? It's impossible, and for this reason Lars should say no. Lars you're getting ripped-off.

Archived