Setanta Cup (ALL-IRELAND CUP) launched

argh1

IFA & FAI agree to launch an ALL-IRELAND CUP.

FAI announcement

The league's (IRISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE....Daily Mirror.... and LEAGUE of IRELAND.....Eircom.....) winners runners up and cup holders will participate starting in April '05.

2 groups of 3 will participate in home and away series with the winners of each group moving on to the final.There will be at least one club from each FA in each group.

Adding 13 games to the finalists schedule.

This can't be anything but good for Irish football :D

This is great. Half of me would love to be there and half of me would be way to terrified when and if Linfield ever has to play (Celtic-hoops wearing) Shamrock Rovers! Can an all Ireland league be seen off there in the distance?

Also, from a Republican political point of view this is also very good. Now that mainstream Republicanism has given up violence their main political strategy is to build all-Ireland institutions that will slowly convince Unionists in the north that their future lies with Eire not Britain. Football is a powerful force and with the succuss of the Republic team and the failings of the Northern team I can imagine that a lot of Northerners entertain serious thoughts of joining up just so that they can have a piece of that success.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Also, from a Republican political point of view this is also very good

Mike.

As the son of a man and a woman from Hollywood , County Down . Brought up Presbyterian . Married to an Acadian lady whose kids have alternatly chosen to go to English or French schools .

Let's leave politics out of this and just relish in the fact that the two Irelands have chosen to come to-gether on this one thing.

We in Canada have no understanding of the Irish political situation.

Let's leave the UNIONIST or REPUBLICAN cause to those whose lives are affected by Irish politics and enjoy the fact that we are CANADIAN

quote:

We in Canada have no understanding of the Irish political situation.

Bit of an overstatement don't you think? I would hardly claim to be an expert on Irish politics and would agree that the overwhelming majority of Canadians (even those of Irish descent) only understand Irish politics in a topical way but it's funny what a little bit of reading, especially from Irish sources, can do.

quote:

Let's leave the UNIONIST or REPUBLICAN cause to those whose lives are affected by Irish politics and enjoy the fact that we are CANADIAN

While I agree that I have very little investment in Irish politics I think we could both agree that the peace process can only benefit from all-Ireland institutions that respect the principle of Unionist consent. And really, who isn't on the side of peace other than those whose position in Irish society rests on continued violence?

Mike.

Politics smolitics, anyway it's mostly about religion, right? There's lotsa old wounds like that around the world, that may or may not heal in time. (Pakistan/India, Palistine/israel, Lions/Alligators)

What I really wanted to say is 'GO Ireland or Eire'. Of all the European countries that I have visited and not been adopted in, the Irish people were the best. (1. Norway, 2. Wales, 3. Ireland)

Luv ya, specially Cork City and the south coast (but that's Hurling country).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think you mean there will be 13 games in total. Each team will play 4, except the two finalists who will play 5.

Ofcourse you're right . How could playing 2 home and away series and a final add 13 games ooops [B)]

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

While I agree that I have very little investment in Irish politics I think we could both agree that the peace process can only benefit from all-Ireland institutions that respect the principle of Unionist consent. And really, who isn't on the side of peace other than those whose position in Irish society rests on continued violence?

Mike.

Sorry for my outburst .

Naturally you have the right to think and say what you feel.

The bottom line is this CUP is good for IRISH soccer . :D

Archived