Sutton

loyola

From this article it seems that Sutton has been called up for the next round.

Sutton wears down Battery

Bags 13th shutout. Impact 2, Battery 0 Goalie ties club record as Grande, Sebrango provide fireworks

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Coach Nick DeSantis wasn't worried when the Impact headed to the dressing room at halftime in a 0-0 tie with the Charleston Battery.

"We talked about it at halftime and I told the guys that you have to be patient against a team that's as well-coached as Charleston," DeSantis said. "I thought they were getting tired and I told our guys to keep pushing the ball wide."

The strategy paid off as the Impact scored twice in a six-minute span early in the second half en route to a 2-0 victory. The win enabled the Impact to open a six-point lead over second-place Rochester in the A-League's Eastern Conference.

The game opened up after Sandro Grande went wide and scored on a 45-yard drive to the opposite top corner in the 53rd minute.

"That was a world-class goal and that forced them to change their strategy a bit," DeSantis said. "They had to take more chances, but that also opened some opportunities for us.

And the Impact took advantage in the 58th minute as Mauro Biello made a strong run up the right side of the field and then found Eddie Sebrango in the box.

"I knew he was going to try to get the ball into the middle, and I just went to the spot where I thought the ball would be," said Sebrango, who showed no ill effects from the sore knee that forced him to leave Saturday's game in Atlanta at halftime.

While the Impact was putting two goals on the board, goalkeeper Greg Sutton claimed a share of a team record when he recorded his 13th shutout of the season. That ties the mark set by Paolo Ceccarelli in 1996.

"It's exciting, but it goes back to what I've been saying all season: we have a solid defensive club and I couldn't do it without a lot of help from the other guys on the team," Sutton said.

The 'keeper said his focus coming into this season was the same it has been throughout his career. "One of the things I've concentrated on is lowering my goals-against average, and it's something I've been able to do each of the four seasons I've been here," he said.

Sutton was credited with three saves and the biggest came with two minutes left in regulation time when he preserved the shutout by tipping a ball headed for the top corner.

"It was a strange game because you'd go 10, 15 minutes without any action and then have a flurry. It really got busy after we went up 2-0 and they started pressing.

"He deserves the record," DeSantis said of Sutton. "He's had a great season, which is why the national team has called him up for the next round of (World Cup) qualifying."

The announced attendance was 9,425, but the crowd didn't look as large as some previous games when fans lined the grassy areas in the end zone, a vantage point that was a trifle damp last night.

In other local soccer action, the expansion Xtreme blanked the Rochester Ravens in W-League women's playoff action. The Xtreme advances to the four-team conference final in New Jersey.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

Holy crap, Sutton is the chosen one to watch Onstand from the bench! Can't say anything too negative about Sutton, having the season he had, he does deserve it. But I still believe he isn't at the same level as Fernandes and Kenny S. Oh well, I guess this does confirm Yallop's decision.

I am really not surprised by this move given that Lars is still without a club. I am willing to guess that three players from the B squad will be added to the Guatemala roster. we now know that Sutton is one. The next two? well Yallop has to find a replacement for Hume who is suspended. My guess is that it will be Occean. The third one? I am guessing a defender who is experienced. this would be insurance for the yellow card that devos has.

so far two mdia reports of players who have been selected:

1- DeVos

2- Sutton

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

But I still believe he isn't at the same level as Fernandes

But Fernandes didn't impress Dale Mitchell enough to get considered for the the U20 team. Why should he be mentioned along side these otehr candidates. Plus our GK at the WYC did very well!

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Holy crap, Sutton is the chosen one to watch Onstand from the bench! Can't say anything too negative about Sutton, having the season he had, he does deserve it. But I still believe he isn't at the same level as Fernandes and Kenny S. Oh well, I guess this does confirm Yallop's decision.

To be fair Fernandes wasn't even included in the U-20 squad and 2 NCAA keepers were choosen in front of him. Also he wasn't good enough for the U-23 and Olivieri (Sutton back up with Mtl) was choosen before him. So saying that Sutton isn't at Fernandes level is a bit shocking considering what I just point out.

BTW I think that Fernandes may be one of the keeper for the future for Canada considering the clubs with who he trained but right now he doesn't seem to be good enough for Canada Senior team.

Yallop has made it clear to all players that they need to be playing regularly at their respective clubs to be considered for a NT spot. Although I think Lars is our best keeper, he does not currently meet that requirement. I do not fault Yallop for going with Sutton who is obviously "in form". This also sends a message to other players as to Frank's intentions.

In spite of Daniel's current relative success, I think the decision would have been either Sutton or Stamatopolous.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But Fernandes didn't impress Dale Mitchell enough to get considered for the the U20 team. Why should he be mentioned along side these otehr candidates. Plus our GK at the WYC did very well!

Before I comment, bragging rights: I predicted -mmm, sort of- Sutton would be the man called in for Guatemala, though can't find where I did to show off to you guys.

Just to note, the three keepers who figured in the u-20s in the lead up to the World Cup, along with Alim Karim, were Rayner, Fernandes, and Djekanovic. Of them Simon had just started his season with Port Talbot, Srdjan was playing since the start of the season in Serbia, and Fernandes was not active professionally in the period before the cup came along (well he was active at least, but on a team in Vancouver's VMSL after getting out of his Celta Vigo contract). So Dale decided to choose Lindley as a back-up, convinced as he was that none of the others would see playing time unless there was a Karim fiasco.

I personally think this was unfair as at least one of the others should have gone just to honour their committment to the team in many tournaments where they sacrificed club opportunities. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity, a little bonus even if you are on the bench. Dale did not see it that way.

In the end, Alim Karim was excellent for us, stopping two critical penalties along the way and keeping us in there enough to allow qualification for quarter finals. It is odd, then, that noone talks about him or considers he'll be part of the picture after university, perhaps playing for such a mediocre NCAA team does not help give him a better image. I think he'll have to start his pro career from square one once out, we'll likely see him in CPSL sorry to say (not slagging the league, but the guy was in quarter finals at the youth World Cup and should be able to come in professionally at a higher level that he will in the end).

Meanwhile Daniel seems to have turned a corner after the Celta disappointment and figures to be at least top three and maybe back-up in the pecking order for PAOK, a strong team, and Rayner has just stepped up from Wales to England, a small step but an important one for his career. If either can get regular playing time, and especially Fernandes on team that was third in Greece, then that has to be a reason to consider Rayner or Fernandes if we are still waiting on Lars to find a team.

I think Yallop made a good decision here. Barring a late injury to Onstad, the 2nd keeper was most likely going to see no action anyway. Why fly Kenny S. around the world to sit on the bench. Lars needs to play first team football somewhere, and all the kids that everyone talks about should be left to secure spots on their clubs.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I think Yallop made a good decision here. Barring a late injury to Onstad, the 2nd keeper was most likely going to see no action anyway. Why fly Kenny S. around the world to sit on the bench. Lars needs to play first team football somewhere, and all the kids that everyone talks about should be left to secure spots on their clubs.

I agree with Massive Attack!!

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I think Yallop made a good decision here. Barring a late injury to Onstad, the 2nd keeper was most likely going to see no action anyway.

True, but it is a great boost a show of confidence for the a-league to have one their own named.

for comparaison to american politics, it would be like getting nominated to be on the vice presidential ticket. You don't do much but you are important because " The back up keeper is a groin-pull away from the rectangular office". [8D]

Sutton is a very good keeper

But...

He's bored of Montreal

No, he loves the city, the team, and so on

But this year, he has almost NOTHING to do !

I love him and, as an Impact Supporter, I would prefer he stays here

But he won't progress, maybe he would regress, so he needs to play at an upper level

Hope to see him in Europe next year, he deserves it

So, yes, Sutton very good choice for the national team

And, from what I have seen, I don't think Onstad is better than him

Regarding the "three" aspirants that will go with the A-team : Occean for sure, Sutton probably too, and the next one... Gervais or Pizzolitto (even if Serioux seemed to have impressed, so maybe him too)

Though I wouldn't take this as the gospel until the team is announced, it makes sense. He's a capable keeper and don't see any point in flying Stamatopolous, Fernandes, Rayner or anyone else (and has Frank even seen any of these guys?) to sit on the bench. For the same reasons I never understood why Holger flew Onstad over to backup Lars when we had perfectly capable backups in Europe to look at.

Sure it's qualifying and we want the best 18 possible, but given comparing our young Euro keepers to our experienced A-League guys is apples and oranges largely I'll give the nod to Sutton.

I agree with Massive Attack. Hopefully the young Euros can focus on club ball and maybe impress in a European friendly come winter.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Any basis for saying Sutton is the second GK after Onstad other than the offhand comment by the Impact coach?

Well. Yallop would have started calling players by now. We have seen this before where players will leak to their local media that they have been called. This usually comes out before the media release from the CSA. there would be no reason for deSantis to go on record stating: "the national team has called him up for the next round of (World Cup) qualifying" unless he knew.

Archived