Cost to install Grass at Dome ... $500,000

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Yeah, there's no interest in Montreal, a city that got 50,000 for selected NASL games, same for Vancouver.[xx(]

From what Daniel has told me, there really isn't much interest in the Canadian national team in Montreal. He says people there are more into the Impact. Part of the reason is that the national team hasn't played there in many years; I think they need to be reintroduced, but I wouldn't want to do that in a key match in the Olympic Stadium (start smaller).

Regarding where the grass was grown, Brantford was indeed the place, and I posted in another thread that it was transported by 20 tractor trailers at 3 AM on Thursday. I can also add that the whole thing was a three-month (or so) process, so Vancouver Fan's observation about the timing of the match is significant.

BC Place can seat over 60,000 for soccer which would make it larger. In fact I should post screenshots of Vancouver vs Seattle 1983 in which over 60,000 fans filled every seat. Looked every bit as impressive as those pictures of ChampionsWorld from Skydome pictures look. Also shows how great the stadium is for soccer, every seat has a good view of the action as like I said, it was built with soccer in mind.

quote:From what Daniel has told me, there really isn't much interest in the Canadian national team in Montreal. He says people there are more into the Impact. Part of the reason is that the national team hasn't played there in many years; I think they need to be reintroduced, but I wouldn't want to do that in a key match in the Olympic Stadium (start smaller).

Do we have any proof that it would be any different in Toronto or Vancouver for that matter? Just because a whole bunch of fans attended a couple of championsworld matches at Skydome do we really think Canada would draw the same amount? Soccer snobs are soccer snobs regardless of whether it's club or national teams playing.

I agree with you, Krammerhead. My comment wasn't meant to support a Canada match at SkyDome over Montreal's Olympic Stadium or Vancouver's BC Place. In fact, I don't think there should be a Canada match set up anywhere that would require the kind of money/organization we're talking about here.

Archived