Porto vs Liverpool (R)

JayWay

Porto 1 - Liverpool 0

I only caught the 2nd half, but it looked like an exciting game. Baros seemed to put on a show.

Announced attendance: approx 40,000 (I forget the exact figure).

The Dome looked fairly packed, but there were sections of empty seats scattered around the stadium. Wasn't this supposed to be a sell out?

How about some reports/thoughts from those who were there?

The crowd noise in the Dome was tremendous. It sounded like a Champions League Final, not some friendly exhibition with half starters/half reserves.

I think tomorrw's game will be close® to a sellout, as it was reported this morning in both the Star and the Sun that 30,000 tickets were sold for today's match (with the actual attendance ending up at 40k+) and 40,000 for tomorrow's match.

Good game, i was up in the media box, and it was full, so that says something about the level of media interest...The field was great too....i walked on it a couple of times, and it was fabulous...Only problem, was that its on concrete, so it was a little hard, and it got slippery, with the humidity in the building...

If they put some soil underneith, they could have *maybe* opened the roof...but those grandmothers who operate the Skydome dont want that...

oh and the reported 40k attendace was how shall i say it, somewhat 'inflated'...

there had to be 35k max, and thats being generous...

I'm looking forward to tomorrows game..if anyone is going to the game let me know, maybe we can get a pint...

Any time Liverpool has a midfield featuring Biscan, Diao, and Finnan (as they did in the second half) you can basically figure out that they're not gonna score... Kewell was as useless as he's been recently and Murphy couldn't seem to pick out a good pass to save his life. The kids in defence got exploited down the left all first half and all in all Liverpool didn't have any spark. I wish so much that the Reds could have at least got a goal - all those 'Pool fans were dying to have cheer. What the hell was Gerrard out on the right for in the first half?

Porto once again enhanced their reputation for theatrics - this was a friendly and they still need to roll fourteen times after a niggling foul. Disgraceful behaviour that will never win them any fans. I'll stick to my prior observation that Porto have lousy fans btw... one lame cheer (Pooor Tooo, Pooor Tooo) against the club with greatest song in football fandom? That's asymetrical warfare if I've ever seen it.

Mike.

I was at the game and I found it to be a exciting. The atmosphere in Skydome was pretty good, I was impressed by the field surface. I would really love to see Toronto get their own Stadium, 30 000 Canadian soccer fans packed in a game; Canada v. USA, all Voyageurs chanting... only in fairytales I guess!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The crowd noise in the Dome was tremendous. It sounded like a Champions League Final, not some friendly exhibition with half starters/half reserves.

I saw the first half (just to see what soccer in the SkyDome is like). It did sound very loud on TV, but it was that echo-y kind of noise created by the closed roof when the place isn't full but those who are there are very vocal (like at Argo games). I find that kind of noise to be irritating after a while when watching on TV. Even though they are typically quiet, it's not the same kind of noise as generated by 50,000 baseball fans when the Blue Jays were contenders. Perhaps it was different if you were actually there.

From what I saw on TV last night and read this morning, the reason that they couldn't open the roof was because the surface would be unplayable in the event of rain. And, there was a bit rain last night in the forecast.

On TV you could see some empty sections in the lower corners so yes, it certainly wasn't a sell out. Still, not a bad game, I thought, but Porto were the better side in my opinion and deserving of the win.

In todays paper, the playing surface got mixed reviews from the players and coaches. Benitez: " Not the best in the world, but OK". Del Neri:" The players didn't complain about the surface, but the humidity bothered them".

Watching on the game on TV compared to most big other matches we see on the tube, I realized what it is that I don't like about the facility. There are too many distracting objects, features, structures. etc. You don't notice crowds because all that catches your attention are things like the Jumbotron, the windows restaurant, the hotel rooms, the dividers for the different levels of seating( ie.: Luxury boxes). etc. Whereas, when you watch games in other facilities all that you notice ( outside the pitch ) are people or empty seats. Therefore, from an asthetics standpoint, all the colours of the game ( the banners, flags, painted faces, colours worn by fans, scarves) get lost or overlooked cause concrete and structure overshadows the people. In very many ways, the Olympic stadium faces the same problems. Whereas a facility like Commonwealth stadium doesn't appears have these problems.

It would have been unplayable because the grass was right on top of the concrete. If they had a way of draining the water away from the surface instead of just sitting in place, rendering the field a swamp, it would be ideal...I was at the news conference, and the italian translator for Del Neri was mangling almost everything he said...all told though, it was ok :)

I was at the game with a friend and left overall very impressed with the whole event. The fans were thunderous, and DJT nails it on the spot when he mentions that the sound of the fans is enchanced when the roof is closed in.

The 200 Level supporters sections were both full, I was suprised that the a lot of the west 200 level seats were not filled.

I think the attendance was about right, 40,027. That does make it 12,000 short of a sell out. I have pics of the game that I will post later on today.

Saw a lot of people with Canada Jerseys.

I didnt attend the game but my bro was a ball boy for the game. And after the match he managed to get Sammi Hyppia jersey, also players like Baros, Hyppia, Maniche autographs. I watched the game on tv and i have to say it was a pretty exciting game lots of action considering it was only a 1-0 game. I will be attending tonites game hopefully it turns out good.

Benitez said he was satisfied with his team and felt Liverpool started the match strongly playing some good football and creating good openings.

Benitez said: "It was a typical pre-season match. The two teams both worked hard and both sides had opportunities to score. I thought we played better in the first 30 minutes of the first half.

"Porto are champions of Europe and a very good team and like to play quick attacking football. We wanted to try a few things and in pre-season it was always my intention to make six changes at half time. I wanted to give the other players a chance and try different things and get to know them better."

The Reds boss also had praise for the Liverpool fans in Toronto who he said helped create a great atmosphere at the Sky Dome.

"I really enjoyed the atmosphere, said Benitez. "It is good to come over here and see the supporters and make them happy and it's very good. It's very important for Liverpool to come and see the supporters in a different country."

source: www.liverpoolfc.tv

===========================================================================================

Well atleast he really enjoyed the atmosphere!

That attendance figure is very good. If the tickets had been priced even close to reasonable for a meaningless friedly between two club team held during the pre-season, it would have sold out easily. Outside of one or two posters on this board, none of the many soccer fans amongst friends, extended family or colleagues went last night or are going tonight (and that includes myself), and the number one reason cited isn't lack of interest in the game but a lack of desire to fork out close to $60 for the worst seat in the house.

quote:game but a lack of desire to fork out close to $60 for the worst seat in the house.

I'll have to disagree on that one. The view from the 500 level was amazing. The atmosphere provided by the Celtic and Roma fans was incredible.

Worth every penny of the $60 ...

Gian-Luca is not talking about the views from various parts of the stadium, he's talking about the price of admission. You can't disagree with someone who thinks that $60 (or whatever price) is not worth it, because what something is worth varies from person to person. To Gian-Luca, as well as myself, $60 was not worth it for these games (and I don't know about him, but for me it wouldn't have been worth it even for the best seat in the house).

Personally I find that the return on most "one-time" forms of entertainment (ie. movies, shows, concerts, bars, clubs, restaurants, sporting events, etc.) is much too poor for my liking/budget, so I rarely spend on these things. Instead, I save my entertainment money for CDs, DVDs, books, etc. that keep on giving over and over again. I do tend to find that most people feel different from me, but that's nothing new. :)

Gian-Luca is not talking about the views from various parts of the stadium, he's talking about the price of admission. You can't disagree with someone who thinks that $60 (or whatever price) is not worth it, because what something is worth varies from person to person. To Gian-Luca, as well as myself, $60 was not worth it for these games (and I don't know about him, but for me it wouldn't have been worth it even for the best seat in the house).

Personally I find that the return on most "one-time" forms of entertainment (ie. movies, shows, concerts, bars, clubs, restaurants, sporting events, etc.) is much too poor for my liking/budget, so I rarely spend on these things. Instead, I save my entertainment money for CDs, DVDs, books, etc. that keep on giving over and over again. I do tend to find that most people feel different from me, but that's nothing new. :)

quote:Originally posted by Champs

I didnt attend the game but my bro was a ball boy for the game. And after the match he managed to get Sammi Hyppia jersey, also players like Baros, Hyppia, Maniche autographs. I watched the game on tv and i have to say it was a pretty exciting game lots of action considering it was only a 1-0 game. I will be attending tonites game hopefully it turns out good.

ur bro got such a nice job`!!!!!!

but is Maniche there??? damn, i only noe Deco, Nuno Valente and Postiga from Porto. too bad, i dunno any of them, Lol

I think next year, Cisse and Baros can play well in the front~!![8D]

I think Baros will be quite dangerous next year, with Cisse or anyone.

While Porto's diving won 't win them any fans I htought they displayed quite a bit of skill with their short passing and dribbling that went by the liverpool defence far to easily at times. They really should have had another goal or two, but that being said Liverpool should really have put one in as well.

I was sitting behind the Porto goal in the last five minutes and it looked like the section would explode if Liverpool scored. They were all over the net but somehow - to everyone's disapointement - the ball stayed out. Still the fans around me seemed happy with the effort.

I think the game was well worth the price, the game was intense enough to warrent hard takling and quite a few yellows. I was happy to see both Owen and Baros, and someone even pulled off a nice bicycle kick to clear the ball from Liverpool's end.

The liverpool fans were amazing, but really needed that one goal to get them going.

Archived