OT: Baby Leafs to play at Ricoh in 2005/06 ???

Jarrek

I think it's great. It will be nice to be a stone's throw away from watching the Leafs' future core in the flesh; especially after years of relying on sketchy reports from the rock. I never understood why farm teams wern't situated in the same city as their mother team. You'd think it would be common sense when you consider the practicality involved in calling up players.

Living in a city that has had AHL........EFF 'EM.

The carpet beggars . New Brunswick Hawks , Moncton Alpines , Moncton Hawks ......Chicago , Boston , Winnipeg......and others . Always wanted more from the city . Give me the Q and let the AHL take their unique brand of travelling around looking for hand outs and .......well you know.

The AHL is a joke T-O can have 'em.

EDIT :

I forgot the Moncton Golden Flames.

AHL lived here from '78-'94.

Every years it was give us what we want or we'll leave untill they did.

Got me looking up the teams though ;)

Go support the Ice Dogs , it's better hockey.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

The Alpines were in the Q not the AHL. But they only lasted a year I think (95-96?). I like that name though.

No THE ALPINES were in The AHL '82-84

Alpine is a popular Lager brewed by Moosehead Breweries ( my 1st choice :D )

Saint John of the New Brunswick Senior Baseball League still uses the name . Sponsorship , Sponsorship.

ALPINES was the first name of the team in the Q , before Robert Irving ( wonder what he does ? ) bought the team and changed the name to the WILDCATS.

But all that aside I'd rather see 4,500 pay to see juniors then pay to see mostly over the hill pros who are just putting in time sprinkled with some newbies.

The Oilers are doing the same thing, having announced that they are moving AHL Roadrunners from Toronto to Edmonton this year. Clearly insurance for the coming lock-out.

It would be interesting to know what came first, the decision to move the Baby Leafs or the Roadrunners, or whether it was a coordinated move to cover up and cut down on finacial losses from the lockout? Does anybody know if their are similiar moves afoot to NHL centres across North America?

The Oilers are doing the same thing, having announced that they are moving AHL Roadrunners from Toronto to Edmonton this year. Clearly insurance for the coming lock-out.

It would be interesting to know what came first, the decision to move the Baby Leafs or the Roadrunners, or whether it was a coordinated move to cover up and cut down on finacial losses from the lockout? Does anybody know if their are similiar moves afoot to NHL centres across North America?

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Sounds more like the Leafs are more concerned about keeping a revenue stream in place when the strike occurs.

If they thought having their AHL team in TO was good, why leave Newmarket?

Don't forget the St. Catherines Saints .

That's what bugs me about minor league hockey and baseball.

Give us all these consessions and we'll put a team in.

We won't be community based and we'll leave when we get a better offer . But hell support us 'cuz this is the best your gonna get .

Calgary Cannon , Edmonton Trappers , Ottawa Lynx , Nova Scotia Voyageurs thru Citadeles.

They take and give little back.

So support your little community based teams and watch them grow .

Because there will will always be the carpet beggars that will take the money and run when there's more $$ to be made else-where [V]

Considering that the Roadrunners got small crowds unless the baby Leafs wer in town it's a good move.

However the AHL has gone to permanently having those 2 foot wide blue lines for next season. That alone will make me not interested in watching the league. Hurts my eyes.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Sounds more like the Leafs are more concerned about keeping a revenue stream in place when the strike occurs.

If they thought having their AHL team in TO was good, why leave Newmarket?

That reminds me of the famous Homer quote;

"If you don't like your Job, you don't go on Strike! You just do your Job half-Assed! That's the American way!"

:D

Archived