Guatemala Ticket Prices

leekoo

Just wondering what people thought about these ticket prices. Are they acceptable or outrageous?

Source: BC Soccer Association

LET'S FILL THE STADIUM WITH FANS: CANADA vs. GUATELMALA

Date: August 18, 2004 at 7:00pm

Burnaby, BC

Canada

Contact Number: 604-299-6401

Canada's World Cup Team starts its campaign to qualify for the world cup in earnest against Guatelama in the friendly confines of Swangard Stadium, Burnaby. The National Men's Program is fresh off its victory in the International Pacific Soccer Series, in which it held Scottish Premier League side to a 1-1 tie and handed FA Cup Finalist's Millwall a 1-0 defeat.

All soccer fans can help by coming out and supporting the team on game day - pick up your tickets at Ticketmaster www.ticketmaster.ca <http://www.ticketmaster.ca/>

Grandstand tickets for all ages will be priced at $39.00 and $34.00, bleacher tickets at $27.00, and end zone tickets are $15.00.

Guest Jeffery S.

NB to Krammerhead: So it wasn't a P.I.S.S. tournament after all?

PS. Does the BC Soccer Assoc organize this, are they the official reps of the CSA in BC in a federated national organization, or do they just help the CSA?

They are quite expensive in my opinion both for the Edmonton and Vancouver legs....

Considering the success the CSA had with cheap ticket prices for the 2002 U-19 championships, I am surprised they resorted to hefty prices for the WCQ... I think they would have drawn a lot more people with tix in the $10, $20 and $30 dollar ranges and probably would have made more $ as well.

quote: NB to Krammerhead: So it wasn't a P.I.S.S. tournament after all?

Sure, if you want to get techincal.:D

I don't find the tickets for the game at Swangard to be too expensive. It's supply and demand. With only approximately 6,600 tickets to sell I don't think its a problem. Certainly cheaper than a CFL game.

They're maybe a shade high, but they're not bad. I paid $40 Cdn to see the Spurs/DCU kick about and I had the cheapest seat in the place and I didn't pay face value. I think our seats in Edinburgh for the Scotland friendly were more expensive than that even.

For a casual fan it might be a deterrent, but with 6,000 seats (or whatever it is exactly) they're at a premium and it should cost a premium. Within reason anyway.

Edmonton I'd like to have seen a little cheaper.

The variance between ticket prices is what I find so bizarre. Not that I minded cheap tickets in Kingston, but you fly all the way out there and then spend more on your coffee on the way there than you do on the ticket to get in.

I'm sure Swangard will sell out, so we might as well make some money off of it. As for Edmonton, hopefully we have a decent crowd (anything about 25,000 would be all right) and the ticket prices aren't a deterent.

cheers,

matthew

But the comparison is relative. I think the ticket prices are still stiff for most people who are not avid followers of the game which accounts for 95% of the fans.

I still think $10, $20, $30 would have been more justified for the Edmonton game and would have helped fill up the seats much better. With these prices, it would be hard to draw a lot of people into the stadium. I maybe wrong, but I think 10000 is the most we can look for.

Comparison to hockey just doesn't hold, because the fan base is so much larger and the number of serious fans so much higher and off course, the media exposure is so much greater.

I don't know how much were the tickets but Canada - T & T in Edmonton in the summer of 2000 draw something like 25,000. (Unless I'm wrong)

I expect a full house in Vancouver and if only 10,000 gets into the stadium for the game in Edmonton it will be a major dissapointment for me.

The ticket prices for Edmonton seem a tad high but I have an idea where that stems from. Chances are most people will be sitting in the best seats, the lower bowl, so $30-40 for those aren't outrageous. The same price for the upper deck is but chances are there won't be enough fans to fill the lower bowl. If the CSA charged $15-20 for an upper deck seat, most people would buy those and try to end up in the lower bowl. At least that's what I'd do:)

quote:Originally posted by ditty

The ticket prices for Edmonton seem a tad high but I have an idea where that stems from. Chances are most people will be sitting in the best seats, the lower bowl, so $30-40 for those aren't outrageous. The same price for the upper deck is but chances are there won't be enough fans to fill the lower bowl. If the CSA charged $15-20 for an upper deck seat, most people would buy those and try to end up in the lower bowl. At least that's what I'd do:)

The Aviators didn't bother trying to keep GA ticketholders out of the reserved seats because there were so few people. However, I believe the ushers for the Honduras match will be checking tickets at the entrance to the seats in the grandstands, at least the lower bowls. I expect that the $19 reserved ticket people would be able to move sideways into any better open seats after kickoff, but not those with GA or upper tier tickets.

If the lower bowl tickets are not sold out, any upper tier tickets will go as General Admission once the endzone tickets are sold out. However, I expect, sadly, that there will not be enough fans present to warrant opening the upper tiers, as I expect 35,000 to be the maximum that will be sold.

The interesting question will be whether the upper tier will be open to General Admission tickets if the GA's set out for the endzones are all sold out but the reserved seats in the lower bowls are still open. The organizers may decide to hold off to try to make money on the reserved tickets, at least until game day.

The feeling I got in dealing with the local organizers is that they have no overall plan, but are taking it day by day. Ticket sales remain agonizingly slow, with no indication yet that they will pick up. It will be interesting to see what, if any, substantial advertizing will be done the few weeks before the match.

Archived