Arsenal - Fans and Rivals Enter Here!

frostman

arsenal will finish third this year behind my very hungry manchester united - who i think will have recaptured there "we'll score 4 if you score 3" position of the past thanks to the best forward partnerships in england. who can argue? saha scores 8 in 12 and rvn scoring over 100 in less than 150! plus the feisty smith - who will lessen his cards. giggs will again have room to fly and ronaldo seems to have come of age - tho we won't have him till novemberish.

anyway,

1.mufc

2.chelsea

3.arsenal

expect liverpool to finish closely in 4th this year, but i think they still have problems in defence. similar to the problems mufc had 2 years ago, well, the year before they won the title, and again once ferdinand was suspended.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I hope Viera stays. I think his game is better suited for England and think he will be wasted a bit with Real Madrid. He would go a long way towards Real Madrid's problems however. But, I think if he looks at the staring 11 for each team, he will prefer the Gunners. Galactico's or not, I think only one of Raul or Ronaldo (pick your favorite), Zidane and Casillas would start for Arsenal, perhaps Roberto Carlos, although I really like Cole and Lauren on the outside. So, 7 or 8 Gunners versus 3, maybe 4, from Real. All subjective of course, and Jeffrey will probably come on with several good reasons why others should be considered.

The advantage Arsenal has over Madrid is that they have players who work. Madrid's advantage is pure talent that bails them out of many a situation. Vieira? I suppose he could work for Madrid, but I have never liked his ball handling and he is a step off of what would be required in a top Spanish club in this respect. Meaning I would not want him on Barça. I'd prefer a player like, let me see....Davids?

I think Casillas would have terrible problems in England in general, more a shot stopper and wonderful positioning, but weak in the air, fatal on the isles.

Ivan Helguera could play successfully for any team in the world, in the back line or in the middle. Michel Salgado is also good. But I agree that as things stand Cole is a better bet than R. Carlos, who had a weak year last time out.

Arsenal will have a strong chance of finishing on top again, although the Mourinho Chelsea squad, the always scary Man U, and even the Revamped Liverpool will provide the battle ground for the top four spots. As an Arsenal fan I truly love their offence in the box and from less than 35 yards. Let's face it Henry, Van Persie, Bergkhamp, and Reyes are scary. I think we'll all acknowledge that Viera is the Fulcrum of the whole team. He's the gateway from the D's to the offence in attack, and an extremely reliable first line of defense.

Now, let's talk about the left side. Is there a left back, left wing combo anywhere in the EPL like Ashley Cole, and Pires? Their give and get-back rushes up the left are exciting as hell! You know there is always a cross going in at the end of each left-side rush. I love it!

Lauren and Ljungberg are fun too on the right, but replaceable.

I do not want to see Viera go. It would require a Massive re-analysis of the team's offensive and defensive strategies. But, the revenue would be nice, and talks of Maniche are interesting, coupled with the prospects of Flamini. If Wenger chose Flamini, you know that somethings there. Look what he did with Henry and Viera when they were average.

Regarding pure defense? The Cole, Campbell Combo is a solid foundation of the back four. Lauren the converted mid-fielder is another nice redeploy by Wenger, but replaceable, same with Cygan. I agree that the back end could be firmed up a bit.

Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Vieira is going Nowhere, Van Persie will be the discovery of the Season, and Arsenal will still be Champions. With United second and Chelsea third.

I don't know much about Van Persie. What makes you think he'll be so effective?

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

He's always doing well in the Pre-Season games.

Pre-season is one thing, league play is another. Also, does he have the speed and agility of a Ljungberg, the target ability of a pires, or the touch and go instinct of a Bergkhamp? Arsenal's mid-field is loaded with unique and inspiring players. We know he isn't intended for a Viera replacement, so where is he intended, and what does he bring to the table? I haven't seen enough yet to decide. And, more importantly, I don't know that much about soccer.

I don't know what you guys are getting all excited about. With Super Hoops in Div 2 ........no Div 1.......no Championship that's it! Along with Leeds & Wolves this Division should be the most interesting . Somebody should get Wednesday moving on up to join the fun.

R's forever

We know return you to normal Premiership discussions.

Although not a major Arsenal fan, I was lucky enough to visit their youth training academy in Hales End, London in April. My son was playing for an Edmonton U-15 academy select team and they actually played Arsenal U-15 boys. Arsenal treated the Canadian boys with absolute class. One of our minivans with half the team got lost en route to the match and the Arsenal U-15 coach drove for an hour all over East London to find them and guide them into the ground. I had a good chat with their academy director who was very complimentary about a number of our boys. The Arsenal boys played like a mini facsimile of the EPL first team though they couldn't finish terribly well. The final score was 4-0 (with a couple of cheesy goals). But it was a major thrill for our boys and those parents present. My son is now an Arsenal fan and wears the O2 red jersey religiously. However this could also be that the O2 logo seems to be cooler than Vodafone amongst the girls in his class.

quote:Originally posted by Ashton Gate

Although not a major Arsenal fan, I was lucky enough to visit their youth training academy in Hales End, London in April. My son was playing for an Edmonton U-15 academy select team and they actually played Arsenal U-15 boys. Arsenal treated the Canadian boys with absolute class. One of our minivans with half the team got lost en route to the match and the Arsenal U-15 coach drove for an hour all over East London to find them and guide them into the ground. I had a good chat with their academy director who was very complimentary about a number of our boys. The Arsenal boys played like a mini facsimile of the EPL first team though they couldn't finish terribly well. The final score was 4-0 (with a couple of cheesy goals). But it was a major thrill for our boys and those parents present. My son is now an Arsenal fan and wears the O2 red jersey religiously. However this could also be that the O2 logo seems to be cooler than Vodafone amongst the girls in his class.

Wow! Thats good for your son. You must have had an experience of a lifetime! It's good to see Arsenal recruiting fans the old fashioned way - through style and chick attention getting logos. I love it!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Actually it looks as though he'll be staying put. Madrid can't afford 30 million pounds plus Morientes.

I think Arsenal just want the 30 million pounds. I don't think that they need Morientes. They have enough fire power. I think If Viera goes, they turn up the gas and grab Maniche. But in the type of mid-field role that Wenger has Viera doing, there isn't much pickins out there at his level.

Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaa! Man U looked Shotty. Poor Defence. Lack of creative offence.

Arsenal were stellar without even Vieira. Even with a lot of substituted youth on defence, midfield, and offence. Wenger is a genius, starfinder, and tactician!

Go Gunners!

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

I'm a Saints fan.

Our keeper is better than your keeper.

So there.

I'll agree, Niemi is very good. He was rumored to be going to Arsenal last year. I think the courting is over now, the Gunners have signed some goal talent this year. So your precious Saints are safe - for now. Wanna know what's really interesting: Niemi, on the Finnish National Team held Germany goalless which allowed England to qualify for the world cup. I'll thank him for that one.

I really like Beattie too. Such power.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The Viera Saga continues...first Pires is quoted as saying Patrick is leaving then today he denies saying it. I am really looking forward to this season. I don't think Chelsea has the royal jelly and I don't think Man U has the horses.

I can't agree with you more. Chelsea is stacked with talent, and look very scary. They have subs that could be franchise players on most other teams in the world. They are however a less stable team in the midst of massive change.

Man U is in flux as well and they seem to have some up and coming talent, but I think it will take about a year to settle down and refine their squads roles.

Arsenal, with the exception of Vieira, are stable in the core with excellent up-side in their youth program. However, footie is often 11 guys against 11 guys on any given day. It'll be a challenging season, with higher expectations than last year. Fans seem to want another perfect season, as well as some silverware. I just wish Vieira would do his business, or get off the pot.

I love the new blue shirts.

Archived