Scolari was offered David Moyes' job

Timotas

Scolari: I was offered David Moyes' job

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari claims he was approached by Everton to take the manager's job during the summer.

The transfer budget at Goodison put off Scolari (MatthewAshton/Empics)

Scolari, who led his homeland Brazil to World Cup glory two years ago, did not mention the Merseysiders by name but his remarks to Portuguese paper A Bola left little room for doubt that it was the Goodison Park club that had contacted him.

Scolari, asked about the job offers he had before agreeing to extend his deal with Portugal until the 2006 World Cup, told A Bola: 'I had offers from Italy, England and Spain.

'I can even give an example. The team that finished 17th in the Premiership (Everton) contacted me but what can I do when a club invites me and tells me that the transfer budget is 15million euros (nearly £s10million).

'How can you compete with the big clubs when this will give no more than two good players?'

Scolari, known widely as Felipao (Big Phil), also admitted he held talks with Benfica who eventually appointed former Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni to succeed the Real Madrid-bound Jose Antonio Camacho.

O wow, seems like Everton are having HUGE problems with the club this season. No big summer signings and everything else is seeming to go wrong. Wouldn't be a suprise if they were relagted. Maybe Rooney will leave. Personally, I don't think Rooney will be as effective without a quality striking partner upfront anyways; ie, Radzinski.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=305457&cc=5901

What an ass. It's obvious Everton were having second thoughts about Moyes and were only prepared to part with him should they seal another target's signature. But why would he have come out and revealed their approach? This will only cause major problems in the Everton camp. Poor form by "Big Phill." He should have kept quiet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/3920985.stm

Everton deny Scolari claim

Everton have dismissed a claim by the Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari that they offered him their manager's job.

Scolari told Portuguese newspaper A Bola he was approached to replace David Moyes during the summer and that he would have a budget of £10m to spend.

But Everton spokesman Ian Ross told BBC Sport: "This is absolute nonsense."

Scolari's claim comes at a turbulent time, with striker Wayne Rooney yet to sign a new deal and Everton losing five boardroom members in five months.

Scolari recently signed a new contract that keeps him as Portugal coach until after the 2006 World Cup, but revealed he had been approached by several club sides.

He added: "I had offers from Italy, England and Spain.

"I can even give an example. The team that finished 17th in the Premiership (Everton) contacted me, but what can I do when a club invites me and tells me that the transfer budget is £10m?

"How can you compete with the big clubs when this will give no more than two good players?"

Guest Jeffery S.

Actually it made good sense, or maybe too much of what goes on at Everton is nonsense.

Since it is just one agent or rep contacting another, you can always deny what would otherwise seem logical.

Archived