U21 Tournament of the Americas (Basketball)

argh1

1st tune up game played in Moncton in front of 3,567 fans .

Canada 78-68 Brasil

2nd game to-night in Charlottetown last tune up Sunday in Saint John v U.S.A

Tourney starts July 28 in Halifax

www.basketball.ca/u21

Yeah I know this is on another thread ........but I thought I'd start another just incase there are any Canadian B-ball fans lurking about.

Go Canada in whatever sport :D

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

anything canada-usa is great ....:D

Except basketball.....

Otherwise, I hear ya... but when it comes to something where we are such big underdogs as is the case in basketball, I tend to shy away from a little. Soccer though is another story though. In basketball they will have 12 NCAA all-stars, whereas we might be lucky to have a handfull. I'll probably still watch but its still difficult to get up for it in the same way. Can v Bra might be more fun to watch.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

USA basketball youth teams tend to underachieve. They haven't won a youth world championship since 1994. Two years ago they had an U18 team with Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh that lost to Puerto Rico and Venezuela of all teams.......

There are certainly more stronger teams at the youth level which makes it a good competition.

Puerto Rico and Venezuela aren't pushovers by a longshot.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

argh1: Did Andrew Spaagrud make the Canadian team? Heard he was selected to try out, but never heard if he made it or not.

No , I don't see his name on the roster.

I'm sure all information can be found on the CANADA BASKETBALL site

www.basketball.ca

Canada Roster

Truthfully I'm really more of casual B-ball fan . This game happened to be in town and I feel these young men who chose to wear the MAPLE LEAF deserve our support. I also really enjoy being at games .

WARNING RANT FOLLOWS

Canadian basketball , baseball , & soccer teams all suffer from the same inferiority complex inflicted by Canadian fans . So if I'm able I will try to support any of these National teams .

I got hooked in the 10ish maybe '97? year ago time period when the world AAA junior baseball tournament was held in town Or one these I forget.

I'll be following the baseball team's progress at the olympics.

Sometimes we who follow and or play soccer should look at the attention our other national teams get .

Basketball and baseball are supposed to be major sports yet our national teams get way less coverage IMO than our national soccer teams. See how major league teams have helped raise the profile of our Canada teams?

How or when we can shed the if it's CANADIAN it ain't as good syndrome I just dunno......

Sorry for the nationalist rant it just came out :(

(who makes more really late edits than me [:o)] )

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Is this tournament on TV? (I'm not asking for myself, because I can't stand basketball, regardless of who's playing. [}:)])

Never thought of that. Maybe it isn't on anyways.. But if its played in Canada, it should be on TV. One would think

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Never thought of that. Maybe it isn't on anyways.. But if its played in Canada, it should be on TV. One would think

Don't count on it being on TV. When the senior national team plays games at the Tournament of the Americas to qualify for either the Olympics or World Championships we hardly ever see those games on TV except for when they play the US and ESPN shows the game with TSN or SN picking up that broadcast.

Tournament finally gets goin' :

Canada 84-66 Bahamas

Argentina 83-57 Dominican Republic

Puerto Rico 101-96 Brazil O.T.

U.S.of A. wins forfiet as Venezuela has yet to find Halifax .

" But there's nothing east of Montreal my buddy in Brandon said so..." [:o)]

"OKAY , now here's Boston ......see it. Look north-east ......that thing that looks like an alligator."

Canada defeats Dominican Republic 94-74 . Ensuring a top two placing in pool A along with Argentina.

As Argentina is the host of the World U21 next August this gives Canada one of the three spots Americas get for this tourney. "The first Canadian team male or female to qualify for an age specific FIBA world tournament "

Well done , now let's get a medal .

EDIT :

Venzuela found Halifax . But lost to Puerto Rico 93-80

Archived