Jason Bent on trial with swedish premier side

Dandal

Jason Bent (ex-Plymouth, currently between jobs) is on trial with swedish premier side Halmstads BK, one of the three main contenders for this years swedish league title. Halmstad has just signed away their main star, swedish NT midfielder Mikael Nilsson, to Southampton and are looking for a replacement. Halmstad says bent "looks interesting" and will have tested him in a reserves match tonight. Haven't seen any news from that match yet. The word from Halmstad is also that Sheffield Wednesday and Motherwell has shown interest in Bent.

I always liked Bent, but it seems that the MNT is passing him buy (in skill level). It seemed like he was on his way up in England, but that has been stalled by a) poor performances B) injuries. Too bad as I do not think a move to Sweden at this point in his career is the best. It will be good if he gets to play, but he may now languish there or in another 2nd or 3rd tier league for the rest of his career.

Paul

Overall I've been dissapointed with Bent's progress internationally - loses the ball too often, too slow to pass. However, I thought he played a much improved game against Ireland last year. He may not yet be done with the MNT. He does, however, have to overcome his recent rash of injuries and play some club soccer.

I think the whole Preston ordeal where he left Colorado to wait for a work permit, played in the reserves for a while, didn't get one, and then left Preston right before he did get one probably stalled him quite a bit.

I dont think he's done with the MNT but he definitly won't be a regular...I could see him in the gold cup when lots of plyers have to be with their teams, or when we have some injuries. He'll definitly be useful during WCQ for some good depth

Jason Bent played 60 minutes in the reserves match last night and impressed local media: http://www.hallandsposten.se/dagenshp/artikel.asp?a=121778 . Halmstads BK's head coach thinks Bent is a good footballer and the type of player they've been looking for, but you can tell that he haven't seen any action for a couple of months. No offer to Bent from the club yet, though, at least not officially.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well I certainly warmed to Bent after the last friendlies I could see on video or tv. I think he had improved technically and in passing decisions. And this is after being one of his detractors for some time.

Regarding his being injury prone, we have to remember that lower divisions in England have a brutal schedule, well over 40 league games, two cups (LDVans, FA), pretty close to a team schedule in Champions in Italy. And they usually don't have the depth to compensate. So I would say that in Sweden, with just a game a week and few Cup ties (often single match, fewer rounds), he'll have time to recover. Because most of his injuries have been muscular, which is something rest and gym work, stretching, can certainly help solve.

Halfway through the season Halmstads BK is leading the swedish premier division. To celebrate this the local newspaper has a long interview with the club's head coach, who has this to say on possible new signings:

There are players on the squad to replace Mikael Nilsson (their star player, who played his last game for the club last tuesday before going to Southampton). We have only 19 players left on the squad, but there are a lot of factors to consider before signing a new player.

And on possibly giving an offer to Jason Bent:

"It is possible, but nothing is decided yet. I think he might be the right player, but the question is if this is the right time to spend money on a new player. There is a lot of us talking this through now and I seriously don't know what we will decide."

Certainly seems to have made a possitive impression with the Coach anyway. Dosen't sound like the bean-counters are too keen on opening up the purse any further though. With a squad of 19 you'd think there'd be a need for one more but I expect Halmstads has other clubs it can pull "guest" players from. But again, I'm guessing.

Nice to read some possitive Bents news for a change.

Like Bent. Smart player. Always a good effort. Skills lacking at the international level, but smart fellow.

Don't know that we'll ever see him in a Canada kit again, but we could on the odd chance.

Archived