Serioux transfered to Millwall FC ?

Jarrek

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I disagree - why should the moderators delete this kind of stuff? People are intelligent enough to read what has been posted and decide for themselves if they believe it is true.
Yes, this forum is not a news service. Not everything that's posted needs to be completely supported with evidence; as Gian-Luca says, it's up to each person to decide what and how much to believe, or whether to even bother. But discussing rumours has always been part of what we do.

As a moderator, the only thing I've thought of doing is moving this thread to the other section, since it has much more to do with Canadian men's national teams than Canadian club soccer. But when a thread gets very active I hesitate to move it for fear of confusing people, unless it is completely off topic (eg. non-Canadian stuff in the MNT section).

Only if someone was very obviously trying to mislead us would I delete or lock such a thread. But there is no evidence that this is the case; in fact, as Gian-Luca points out, there is more evidence that the opposite is true (the newest such evidence being that the "rumour" now appears on the official Vancouver Whitecaps site).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

As far as info from one of the party's brother. Why doesn't he just say identify himself as a family member and say so.

He did admit who he is, in his very first post.

Guest Jeffery S.

I can confirm from what I know that Simpson was in talks with Millwall at least a week ago or more, and that the key question for the player was his non-pro status in NCAA as it would mean renouncing an attractive scholarship at Portland and perhaps losing his university degree, or at least seriously delaying it. Which is why certain discretion is necessary, an amateur cannot be negotiating a pro contract if he does not want to lose risk his amateur status.

It is true that it is no accident that Simpson, being Boulder Rapid's Reserve 2nd best scorer from the midfield, and an all-star I heard, is not playing in PDL playoffs.

I have no idea what the considerations were from the Millwall side of things.

And I have no idea of the current state of the negotiation, or what the final result may be.

Hello Canadians!

Im a British supporter of the mighty MILLWALL FC!

Me along with many other Millwall FC supporters are excited at the prspect of signing both Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson.

Can anyone tell me if they are definately to sign for Millwall, or is it just rumours?

Are they any good?

Where do they play?

PLEASE REPLY. Thankyou

quote:Originally posted by MILLWALL FC FAN

Hello Canadians!

Im a British supporter of the mighty MILLWALL FC!

Me along with many other Millwall FC supporters are excited at the prspect of signing both Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson.

Can anyone tell me if they are definately to sign for Millwall, or is it just rumours?

Are they any good?

Where do they play?

PLEASE REPLY. Thankyou

Harrison, please see following thread pages for more details.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3901

Goodluck, and if I come to see our Canucks play in yer part of London, I hope i'll be safe;)

Thankyou very much.

If they do both sign for Millwall, then il keep you regulary updated with their progress in South London. They'll have to put their hard hats on if they want to succeed at the Den. Millwall FC supporters thrive on players that give 100% effort and get stuck-in.

I'm sure that if they try and do this they will be a big hit at Millwall. Thankyou very much for your help.

P.S. Out of interest, are you aware of Millwall FC's reputation?

One of my best friend's is a Millwall supporter. He was there when you got relagated in '96. Yeah I think everyone's pretty aware of your reputation, but I think 04 FA Cup finalists would be the first thing about Millwall to come to mind these days for your average fan over here.

I think Simpson's a really, really exciting young talent. A left-sided mid with great skill and speed. Serioux is a steady player as a holding mid who plays in the back as well. He's got nice skill. I thought he was going to breakthrough to a higher level years ago and just didn't catch on. I'm curious at how he adapts to the first division, he'd not exactly a Denis Wise type player for a defensive midfidler, but he's skillfull and I have faith he can contribute.

Welcome and thanks in advance for any updates.

Here's a link to Simpson's golazo from the U20 World Cup quarterfinal: http://www.zaimuaemedia.com/movie/emirates_2003/04_081203_01.ram

cheers,

matthew

Oh yes, we have heard a thing or two about Millwall. Eagle-eared observers might even remember the time their reputation was discussed on national Canadian television during our most popular sports broadcast "Hockey Night in Canada".

"Nobody likes us and we don't care" is what was said.

quote:Originally posted by MILLWALL FC FAN

T

P.S. Out of interest, are you aware of Millwall FC's reputation?

Yes.. I once worked with someone who was a keen observer of english football. I recall him mentioning a few years ago that there were many whose biggest fears were that Millwall would get promoted to the Prem. because of their fans obviously:D

I wonder how a college educated guy wll fit in there ? :D:D

Thanks alot for your info.

I wasnt aware that millwall's reputation was known as far wide as canada, and certainly did not think that it was mentioned on a hockey night show programme.

Millwall's reputation stems back from the 70's, and most of the hooliganism aspect has beenkicked out and hopefully now, Millwall can be remembered for the 2004 FA cup.

Out of interest, what were they saying about Millwall's rep on the Hockey programme?

One of the intermission hosts (Al Strachan of the Globe & Mail paper) indicated he supported a team called Millwall in England (most of the audience wouldn't be familiar with them) whose team & fan's motto was "Nobody likes us and we don't care."

By the way, as a Toronto Lynx fan the loss of Adrian Serioux has meant the loss of a great number of our chants - we had several we used for him. Let us know if you need any.

It's official JOSH SIMPSON has won a 2-year contract with Millwall. He's expected to start on Saturday. This is according to the Millwall fan forum. However, as for Serioux, they don't mention his name. I assuming that Serioux is certainly 2 years too.

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=16&style=2&forumId=6297&action=1&replytoid=2130110832

quote:This is according to the Millwall fan forum.

And we all know that fan forums are never wrong. However, as per the Millwall site, http://www.millwallfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10367~547998,00.html it is official, as per below. I couldn't figure out how to rip the picture of Josh in the Millwall uni.

Josh's Joy

Josh Simpson is relishing the prospect of making his mark in English football after completing a two-year deal with The Lions, subject to international clearance.The 21-year-old, pictured here at The Den just minutes after signing, can't wait to meet up with his new team-mates at training on Thursday. Josh said: "This is just amazing for me. When Millwall came over to Canada for the tour a few of us were really keen to try and make a good impression."

That was clearly the case regards the left-sided player, and he jumped at the chance of joining up with The Lions, adding: "This is a dream come true for me. I'm really looking forward to the challenge and hope that I get a chance to play in front of the Millwall fans as soon as possible.

According to Josh's parents, they mentioned yesterday that Adrian Serioux is now in London, England with Josh. This is perhaps an indication that Millwall, together with Serioux's former club (Toronto Lynx), are still sorting-out the transfer deal. Serioux is still tied to a club, and for this reason his release will take some time.

From today's Toronto Star

Aug. 6, 2004. 01:00 AM

Lynx defender Serioux gets his big chance with Millwall

MICHAEL CLARKSON

SPORTS REPORTER

Defender Adrian Serioux of the Toronto Lynx has won a tryout with the English first division club Millwall in London.

Serioux, 25, is in his sixth season with the Lynx of the A-League and impressed Millwall when the Lions lost 1-0 to the Canadian national B team last month in Burnaby, B.C.

Millwall has also signed midfielder Josh Simpson of Victoria, who scored the only goal in that game, to a two-year deal.

"Both played very well for us," said Morgan Quarry, director of communications for the Canadian Soccer Association and off-field manager for Canada's World Cup team.

"Adrian is hard working, very athletic and a very good tackler. He's quite versatile as a defensive midfielder."

The 6-foot, 180-pound Serioux, a native of Scarborough, has never played for Canada's first team. Four years ago, he was an A-League second team all-star and Toronto's defensive player of the year.

Simpson has impressed Millwall's playing coach Dennis Wise.

"To be perfectly honest, Josh wasn't a player I was particularly aware of before we went on our Canadian tour," Wise said on the club's Web site.

"But he certainly caught our eye when we were there and really impressed me.... Josh is a young man with a bright future."

Simpson, 21, played this past season for the University of Portland. He'll join Millwall when it plays Plymouth tomorrow.

The Lynx host Vancouver tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Stadium.

› Buy the Saturday Star and get Sunday to Friday FREE!

Archived