Serioux transfered to Millwall FC ?

Jarrek

From USLDiscussions.com

Reports have confirmed that Toronto Lynx D/MF Adrian Serioux contract has been sold to Millwall FC of the English 1st Division after impressive showings with the Canadian National Men's Team in BC. Aparently it is a multi-year deal, term undisclosed. Stay tuned. Great for and Toronto Lynx, USL Soccer and CSA.

http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=55

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know what to say he is GREAT for the LYNX and the fans really like him but yeah it all makes sence now why would he sit in teh crowd on SUNDAY against CALGARY. He sat with us and we just though that he was getting his rest after the camp with Team canada nobody really asked him why he isent playing we were just happy to see him and wanted all teh best for him hopefully this move is the best for him !!!!! We'll miss you !!!!

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=16&style=2&forumId=6297&action=1&replytoid=2130247218

From a Millwall board, the poster mentions a pair of signings the club are planning from the Canada B Team, a "left winger who was apparently quality" and "another who can play both defensive midfield and right back."

Sounds like he'd be talking about Simpson and Serioux to me. How they get the work permits? Well thats something else entirely :)

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Great for and Toronto Lynx

I wish they wouldn't say that. Unless you get something really substantial in return (unlikely) or are really desperate for money (well...), losing one of your best players is rarely great for a club. [|)]

Why is this a great move for the Lynx, the CSA and Canadina soccer. OK, Its good a move for a player like Serioux who will be making more money and who is a little older and is probably at the peak of his development and he has been in the A-league for a while now. So there is no where else for him to go. But I am at a loss to explain the logic regarding the exitement of the prospects of Simpson pursuing the dead end career options of second divison football ( I guess it now called the championship). Especially considering some would have him starting on our MNT. I am also at a loss to explain why, as a Canadian soccer supporter, any move to these kind of clubs is good. Wouldn't the MLS be better?

Unless their clubs are promoted, players from second divison clubs never get transferred to the premiership clubs. Acquiring players in other European leagues sell more tickets. Plus there are plenty of pickings available from the demoted clubs ( See list of transfers so far this summer). Look no further than the case of Ian Hume. Heard any word of him moving anywhere lately? Yet his counterparts on the English side, who did not perform to Hume's level at the U20 WC, are all in better situations right now. Yet they played on the youth sides of the bigger clubs. International sides are composed if first Div players and although you can still do OK in Concacaf with these type of players, having international calibre players will determine how you play at the next WC, if Canada gets there. Your more likely to get a repeat of 1986 if the players don't have the confidence gain from playing against International calibre talent that is found in the First Divisions.

Odd isn't it that the only significant move to a better clubs this summer (involving canadian players) happens to be Radzinski. A player who was already in the premiership.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Unless their clubs are promoted, players from second divison clubs never get transferred to the premiership clubs. Acquiring players in other European leagues sell more tickets.

This assumption is fundamentally incorrect. Dozens of players from the lower divisions go up to the premiership. Indeed, Millwall is in the market in the first place, in part, because of Danny Cahill moving up a division. The truth is, much like the AHL in hockey, that significant portions of the 1st Division have reached their level and are no longer developing. They have found their level and they make a decent living playing there, and help their teams compete. But there are also numerous younger players on the way up. Who can, and do, move on to better things. Whether Serioux (whom I doubt will go higher) or Simpson move on further, or even manage to stay at this level will be up to their play. What is true, however, is that the overall quality of play is higher than the A-League or College ball. the MLS has not come calling for Mr. Serioux for whatever reasons. Simpson may get drafted, but has to contend with the MLS's import rules. As an attacking player, he is probably one who would keep his spot in the MLS, but if he qualifies for a UK passport he merely has to be one of the best 18 players as opposed to one of the top 3 imports.

Your example of Hume is flawed IMO. First, most of the English team were already at higher club levels, so to compare levels is specious. Who on the English team is setting the Prem on Fire? Hume may very well not have moved up yet because he is brilliant but inconsistent. He has had two good half seasons over the last two years. Maybe he needs anothe year to put it together. Secondly, he is most effective as a forward, but ends up getting played wide right frequently with Tranmere (where Canada plays him). Progress for young players often comes in fits and stops. Simpson, in UAE, looked to have potential but had a very naive game against Spain. Obviously he has made substantial progress since then.

Moving on to a higher level of Football is never a bad thing for a young player.

quote:

This assumption is fundamentally incorrect. Dozens of players from the lower divisions go up to the premiership.

But don't see it happening. Every couple of days for the past several weeks I have been checking the daily transfers in Europeans soccer. I cannot think of any moves that stand out in my mind being of the nature of a players moving from a lower div club up to the prem. I am sure that there must be some but if there are, its a very very small minority. There are many, however, involving players moving down.

quote:

Indeed, Millwall is in the market in the first place, in part, because of Danny Cahill moving up a division. The truth is, much like the AHL in hockey, that significant portions of the 1st Division have reached their level and are no longer developing. They have found their level and they make a decent living playing there, and help their teams compete. But there are also numerous younger players on the way up.

Over several years of following these things while starting off as neophyte, I have come to understnd that the comparaisons with the North american hockey are very valid.... That is why most europeans don't bother crossing the pond unless there is a nHL contract on teh horizon. The good NHL players spend no time or very little time in the AHL. Plus you will not find more than a handfull of NHL'ers who played any level below that. Once your branded an AHL player, your chances of becomes a ever-improving pro are finished. There are some good AHL'ers who have never gotten a fair chance in the NHL other than the odd cup of tea on the fourth line somewhere. I recall seeing a player names John Carter play in the AHL who was all over the ice, but did he get the same chance to shine in the show? In soccer, Hume may become one of these types. The youth sides and reserves are comparable to Junior hockey. That is where the stars and international talent are developed. Check the list of hall of famers in hockey and see what percent of them have played in the AHL (The answer vitually none).

quote:

Your example of Hume is flawed IMO. First, most of the English team were already at higher club levels, so to compare levels is specious. Who on the English team is setting the Prem on Fire?

Fwds on the english team like Michael Chopra ( Newcastle), Eddie Johnson ( Man Utd), Lee Croft ( Man city), Jerome Thomas ( Arsenal) are all in better situations than Hume, not because they are necessarily more talented. Heck Chopra was just transferred out to a tier 2 side which is still a level higher than were HUme is currently at. They are in a better situation because they will get a crack ate premiership football. Something that a player like Hume may never get. Much like the AHL, there is stigma to playing in the lower divisons. How else can one explain that he gets Hume gets on the fifa tournamnent all star and plays for senior teams while those other four do zilch at the U20 WC scoring no goals and yet they are more highly regarded.

The lesson to be learned in my opinion is that its better to follow the paths of players like Hargreaves, De Guzman, Klukowski, David Edgar, Julian Uccello, or even Bellotte rather than the path Hume took. Bellote was even offered quite a few interesting chances. Has Hume been offered the same?

http://www.sublimefootball.com/transfers.php

Gordon,

That is the site taht I have been checking quite often for the past several weeks knowing that we have had these kind of discussions in the past and I have been looking for clues to validate your points. But Honnestly, I still haven't seen any lower div players bought by high div players. The path that players like radzinski took ( Canada-Belgium first-Prem) or the one Klukowski, Belotte, deguzman ( Youths academanies of respected top sides - other first div clubs - Bundesliga/Premiership????)is the best one for canadian soccer as a whole. Odd isn't it Hume has more natural abilities than Rad did in his early twenties. Right now Canadian soccer would have been better off if hume would have started out with the Lynx.

I'm not coming down on either side of the argument, but I can think of a couple of recent examples of players going up (although this may still be in the minority - haven't really thought about it). Tim Cahill from Millwall to Everton, and Julian Gray from Palace to Birmingham. Palace also lost Clinton Morrison to Birmingham a couple of years back. Or how about Zamora from Brighton (2nd div) to Tottenham last year (now at West Ham)?

I don't see Serioux as Premiership quality, so I think making Millwall would be a good step. He couldn't crack DC United or San Jose, so I don't see him making MLS with their import restrictions.

As for Simpson. If he's good enough (and I think he will be), he'll get attention from the top flight should he actually transfer to Millwall. At the same time, there's no shame in being a first div player in England and it's a nice step to bridge the gap between playing over here and the heavier schedule in England.

cheers,

matthew

I am certain, as I have stated, that there have been and there always will be some lower div players who move up. But when I say that nobody moves up I am stressing the point of how difficult it is and the stigmas that need to be overcome. I am questioning the relative percentage of player acquisitions by bigger clubs that comprises players from lower divisions. I don't think it sells as well to the the fans when your trying peddle ticket packages to show incomming players from lower div rather than players from other euro leagues or other prem clubs. I have noticed this phenomena while lurking over fan forums of clubs. There is a much different level of enthusiasm in regards to player transfers when comparing player acquisitions from lower leagues versus players from other first Div sides.

It may be right to say that if Simpson is that talented, teams will find him. But on the other hand, they may just view him as a talented second tier player. Much like hockey, there are many AHL'ers who fit that description.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

It may be right to say that if Simpson is that talented, teams will find him. But on the other hand, they may just view him as a talented second tier player. Much like hockey, there are many AHL'ers who fit that description.

First, if Simpson ends up a career 1st Dvision player the 1) he has had a pretty good career and 2) he may be just that: a talented second tier player. Lets keep in mind that the premiership is one of the top 4 leagues inthe world and can have their pck of players. But Div 1, or whatever it is called these days is still a pretty good league. Hell, Ireland dresses national team players from this league.

As for the Hockey analogies, there are plenty of young European players in Major Junior and the AHL. So while an established Euro player may not move w/o a guaranteed NHL contract, draft choices regularly do. You have to look at both Simpson and Serioux in this category as the both qualify as prospects.

Not counting the sell off of demoted Premiership players, there were a half dozen moves up June, more than a dozen since the end of May. There will also be more during the first inter season transfer window. There always is. It ain't easy getting to the Premiership, but First Division is as good a route as any for Canadian players. At the very least, they get six games against upwards bound teams.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I'm not coming down on either side of the argument, but I can think of a couple of recent examples of players going up (although this may still be in the minority - haven't really thought about it). Tim Cahill from Millwall to Everton, and Julian Gray from Palace to Birmingham. Palace also lost Clinton Morrison to Birmingham a couple of years back. Or how about Zamora from Brighton (2nd div) to Tottenham last year (now at West Ham)?

To add, John Stead went from Huddersfield in the third division last year to starting and scoring for Blackburn. Without his goals they likely would have been relegated.

Also Roy Carroll went from Wigan in Div II a couple of seasons ago to Man United. And since the Tranmere angle was used, Jason Koumas went from Rovers to WBA two years ago (when the Baggies were in the Prem) and was an exceptional player (and still is). Marcus Bent went from Ipswich to Leicester on loan last year and off to Everton permanently this year. As well, young Leigh Mills went from Swindon to Tottenham recently.

Also not taking sides in the discussion, just adding to the list of quality lower division players who have made the step. :D While it isn't the slam dunk it was before the Bosman and EU rulings, one can still move up from the basement to the penthouse.

If Serioux or Simpson make it to the Millwall first team, we will have added to our depth considerably in terms of more players at a high level for 10 months of the year - and only 3 Canadian players (Radzinski, Stalteri & De Guzman) would currently play at a higher level.

The Lynx ownership have very little ambition to actually win anything, they are more concerned about surviving year to year with a profitable franchise happening gradually, perhaps sometime in the year 2013. If they get some cash for Serioux's transfer that will help them in their goal. If Toronto's team was a serious contender with ambitious, deep-pocketed owners, they way it should be as arguably the biggest market in the A-league, then I might agree that it is bad news for the Lynx, but the present realities indicate that this would be good news for all concerned, the players, Canadian national team and even the Lynx.

Archived