De Serpa News

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Kevin has been training with Penafiel of top flight Portugal, though the coach insists they want to loan him out this season. The deal is pending. Though he was with the first team training as recently as Monday.

Not at all sure he can find a 2nd division team, may have to go lower.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think that a game between two lower first division teams and two mid-level 2nd division teams is quite similar. Meaning the real drop off is between the consistent top flight teams in Portugal (maybe between 6 and 10, top half of the table (Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Boavista lately, Braga, the teams from the isles Nacional and Maritimo lately, historically Vitoria Guimaraes) and the rest, including those moving up and down between divisions.

And yes, below 2nd is regional.

Playing and training conditions would probably also be a factor if you go too far down, as grass fields are a luxury in Spain and Portugal from what I've seen. Lower-level teams there play and train on fields of red clay. Not sure where the cutoff lies, but in Portugal, I saw some A-League sized stadiums with clay fields, including the one used by the regional team in the town I stayed in.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Of course if Jeffrey is in Barcelona, then I'm sure he knows more about this than I.

No Alan, that is fair. Every team in the top two divisions in Spain is on grass. Third tier there is either grass or field turf. I know of no teams on dirt at that level, in fact I think it is not allowed. Fourth tier, Division 3, after 2A and 2B, there are teams on dirt; my neighbourhood team just missed promotion to 3rd on the last day of 2002-03 season, and plays on a rather good dirt surface, smooth, large, but in the end not grass.

I would imagine that Portugal's top two divisions are also on grass, but below that you'd know better. You do get cases where a good stand around a grass field is built for a team, they relegate to lower levels and can't afford to maintain the grass (or are forced to share with other sides, kids), so they change it to dirt in spite of the nice stands.

Just would say that dirt does require a lot of skill, as ball control can be tough, and of course it is murder for keepers.

Guest Jeffery S.

No news is bad news. Kevin is still waiting for a loan opportunity and is no longer training with the team, along with about 4 others he is working our apart from the squad. This is reported the 29th. C'mon, Kevin you need to get a squad, you'll still draw your salary, and find some playing time to show what you can do.

Archived