Olympic Men's Football Tournament Thread (R)

beachesl

Results of the third set of matches:

August 17

Greece 2 Mexico 3

South Korea 3 Mali 3

Argentina 1 Australia 0

Serbia & Montenegro 2 Tunisia 3

August 18

Japan 1 Ghana 0

Paraguay 1 Italy 0

Costa Rica 4 Portugal 2

Morocco 2 Iraq 1

the quote from Alex Ferguson:"We'd have to give Ronaldo two-months off when he returns so we wouldn't have him until November. It's ridiculous,"

I don't understand this at all . Why can't the player(s) in question play the same week that they return. Or a week later if they are a little tired. I have been hearing more and more of these stories. Example, about a week or two ago I read on the La louviere web page that Kluka was ready to train with the team after his stint in WCQ. The WCQ match was in June!!! and I am at a total loss why it must take 2 months. Are the clubs trying to punish the players!!!!! Anyone have an answer?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

No bloody way Saviola should have been called, and he should decline. He is missing the entire Barcelona pre-season, will end up being like two months with Argentina, and who's paying his salary?

Saviola is well-liked here, but if he doesn't react to this one the tide could turn against him. Minimum committment to your club.

But would the fans feel the same if it were Carles Puyol, Iniesta, Gabri or any other player off to represent spain intead of Argentina? You have to say: "Yes". or it would be hyprocritical to hold it against Saviola for wanting to represent his country but have double standard when it comes to domestic players. Admit it, the problem is not that barca is losing a key player, its that he is off to represent another national side.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Two losses means Japan is out already- look at Iraq...wow!!!

Don't forget this is pretty much the same U20 team that beat Canada

in 2001 (3-0), and played well against Germany and Brazil.

They're no pushovers ...

Last night, Radio Canada showed some highlights of the soccer games including Arg-Aus. One of the goals that Argentina Scored was one for the highlight reels whereby several players touched the ball leading up to it. Their team sounds very similar to the Copa squad.

Some wild results on the last day of the group stage, especially in Group D where Los Ticos beat Portugal 4-2, after the Portugese were up by 2-1 late. That fourth goal lets Costa Rica into the second round, but in Group B , Ghana knocked out by Japan , who had nothing to play for, and Paraguay end up topping the group after beating Italy 1-0.

Must suck to be Portugese though!

QF Draw

Mali vs Italy - Argies vs Ticos

Korea vs. Paraguay - Iraq vs. Aussies

Let's hope Iraq gets into the semis!That should get some coverage on the mainstream at least!

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

the quote from Alex Ferguson:"We'd have to give Ronaldo two-months off when he returns so we wouldn't have him until November. It's ridiculous,"

I don't understand this at all .

Well, Fergie is an idiot. Ronaldo didn't play many more minutes for Portugal this summer than some of his players played for Man United in PRE-season during the same time.

Anywho, the quarterfinal matches look to be a real bore. Olympics are over for me.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Don't forget this is pretty much the same U20 team that beat Canada

in 2001 (3-0), and played well against Germany and Brazil.

They're no pushovers ...

No, it's not the same team. From what I can tell, there is only one player common to both rosters.

The big factor here is that Iraq's Olympic roster is almost exactly the same as their Asian Cup roster. This team has been together for over one month, playing competitive matches against decent, non-youth opponents. I doubt that any of the other teams had anywhere near that amount of preparation for the Olympics.

This isn't meant to take anything away from Iraq. What they manage to do despite their situation puts Canada to shame.

Guest concur as safe

Quarters so far:

Iraq 1- Australia 0

Italy 1- Mali 0

later today:

Argentina - Costa Rica (winner plays Italy)

Paraguay - Korea Republic (winner plays Iraq)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The Italy win was in extra time (goal scored 4 mins from the end).

The late matches:

Argentina 4 Costa Rica 0

Paraguay 3 South Korea 2

Semifinals (August 24):

Italy vs. Argentina [ouch]

Iraq vs. Paraguay

Will there be any television for the Italy/Argentina match?

Tue Aug 24 09:00AM Pacific

Tue Aug 24 10:00AM Mountain

Tue Aug 24 11:00AM Central

Tue Aug 24 12:00PM Eastern

Tue Aug 24 01:00PM Atlantic

Tue Aug 24 01:30PM Newfoundland

Length: 4 hr LIVE/SDD

The Sports Network (TSN) - Canada

2004 Summer Olympic Games - Men - Semifinal Doubleheader

Italy vs Argentina and Iraq vs Paraguay

Fri Aug 27 03:00PM Pacific

Fri Aug 27 04:00PM Mountain

Fri Aug 27 05:00PM Central

Fri Aug 27 06:00PM Eastern

Fri Aug 27 07:00PM Atlantic

Fri Aug 27 07:30PM Newfoundland

Length: 1 hr 30 min SDD

2004 Summer Olympic Games - Men - 3rd Place

Sat Aug 28 08:00AM Pacific

Sat Aug 28 09:00AM Mountain

Sat Aug 28 10:00AM Central

Sat Aug 28 11:00AM Eastern

Sat Aug 28 12:00PM Atlantic

Sat Aug 28 12:30PM Newfoundland

Length: 8 hr SDD

2004 Summer Olympic Games - Men - Final

--------------------------------------------------

Yeah, looks suspicious, especially the part about

"8 hour SDD" on next Saturday's Final.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Will there be any television for the Italy/Argentina match?

I am watching it on TSN right now. Tape delayed of course. No point in watching though. I have a feeling from this game that something has gone wrong in Italian soccer. You can accept the loss to Korea in the WC as a one off. But then Euro 2000 and now this. Granted, they got this far and of course, I haven't seen the earlier matches in this tournament but 3-0!, sheez, and the goals that I saw from Argentina were really not hard fought goals. Can't blame Trap for this one.

Bronze medal match (August 27):

Italy 1 Iraq 0

Gilardino 8'

Match was shown on TSN at 6 PM EDT on Friday.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am watching it on TSN right now. Tape delayed of course. No point in watching though. I have a feeling from this game that something has gone wrong in Italian soccer. You can accept the loss to Korea in the WC as a one off. But then Euro 2000 and now this. Granted, they got this far and of course, I haven't seen the earlier matches in this tournament but 3-0!, sheez, and the goals that I saw from Argentina were really not hard fought goals. Can't blame Trap for this one.

Just got around to reading this. I didn't see the game, but what concerns me more is their other results, not this one. Argentina has an amazing team at this tournament (quite close to their full senior team), and their record (5 wins out of 5 matches, 16 GF, 0 GA) shows it. I thought Argentina would win 2-0 or 3-0.

Gold medal match, Argentina vs. Paraguay, live on TSN at 3 PM EDT on Saturday.

Argentina fans are going to have problems deciding what to watch as their basketball gold medal final against Italy is live on CBC at 3:30 PM EDT.

The silver medal that Paraguay have already assured themselves is the country's first-ever Olympic medal in any sport.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Gold medal match, Argentina vs. Paraguay, live on TSN at 3 PM EDT on Saturday.

Argentina fans are going to have problems deciding what to watch as their basketball gold medal final against Italy is live on CBC at 3:30 PM EDT.

Well, not really. Because the football Gold medal game is at 3 AM</u> EDT, not PM. Ouch! At least there's no conflict with the b-ball game though.

Holy cow, I didn't realize that. What a strange time for a match, let alone the final.

But TSN's Web site still shows that they will broadcast the match Saturday afternoon. And right before they showed Italy vs. Iraq on Friday evening I'm pretty sure the anchor said that they would show the final live on Saturday at 3 PM. So who screwed up, them or me?

Archived