Quebec nationalist to carry Cdn flag into Athens.

JayWay

Well, this has been fun.

Just a couple of bits I find odd.

Mr. Gill, seperatist, happily collects funds from the Crown through Sport Canada. As meager as they may seem I'll make a guess he's not sending the cheques back. It seems when it comes to suckling at the federal tit, seperatists find all sorts of justifications for bellying up. Take the BQ. Have they any business in the House of Commons? Seriously, do they? And how can a man or women of any sort of moral conviction and honour prostitute themselfs for a federal paycheck with one breath and then take an oath of allegiance with another all the while claiming such oaths, sworn before God and nation, are some sort of arcaic formality?

Funny bunch. Out my way when you swear an oath on God's name it's a pretty serious matter.

When you accept money from someone it comes with a responsability you're to perform all the functions of your job description in good faith. No cherry picking the ones you want and don't want. Dosen't work that way.

Mr. Gill, like many atheletes competes for the sake of competion. It's a very personal thing and in his case one not exactly linked to any particular need to bring honours upon Canada. Fair enough. But if Mr. Gill were to have his way he would have a Quebec passport and visa which would be worth the paper it was printed on. And it wouldn't just be Mr. Gill carrying a Quebec passport. He'd have it so all Quebec atheletes had to carry that Quebec passport. Whether they wanted to or no.

So what's that? Strike three?

I'll allow him his political conviction. But he's a big boy, and should accept the consiquences of his conviction otherwise those convictions are nothing more that a whole lotta mouth. The fact of the matter is he did vote for the seperation and the destruction of the Canadian nation, and he's unrepentant about it.

In the narrow focus of this topic, I couldn't care less why he voted for seperation. You lay with dogs, your gonna get flees. So just be careful where you bed down, eh.

Poor choice. Poor, poor, choice. Shame on the selection commitee. Twits.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Mr. Gill, seperatist, happily collects funds from the Crown through Sport Canada. As meager as they may seem I'll make a guess he's not sending the cheques back. It seems when it comes to suckling at the federal tit, seperatists find all sorts of justifications for bellying up. Take the BQ. Have they any business in the House of Commons? Seriously, do they? And how can a man or women of any sort of moral conviction and honour prostitute themselfs for a federal paycheck with one breath and then take an oath of allegiance with another all the while claiming such oaths, sworn before God and nation, are some sort of arcaic formality?

I can share your sentiments about the BQ and separtism in general. But, at the same time, the $$$ argument that I hear from some parts of the country ( mostly the west) has never made sence me and is just plain misguided. Any quebecer ( separtist or not) who pays taxes to the federal government should be entitled to the same level of services or treatment as anybody else, or NO? Once you get into these these exclusionary or inclusionary arguments, you are just fueling separtism. Thats all that it accomoplishes. The PQ and other similar opinion leaders in Quebec love to hear these stories and controversies and they milk them for all their worth and get political mileage out of these things. HEADLINE:" Deserving Francophone from quebec denied from Federal body an opportunity based on his language". Why is it that people can't seem to understand this.

OOOhhhhhh!!!! Touchy subject.

I am sick of Quebec nationalism, but appeasing Quebec has been what Canadian politics has been all about since the '70s.

However, denying him the right to carry the flag because of his political views would be like the US only allowing a pro-Bush supporter to carry thier flag (although they probably do).

I just hope we continue our dominance in the Tramapoline.

PS...

Why do the Americans have the blacks and the Candians have the french?

They had first pick.

quote:However, denying him the right to carry the flag because of his political views would be like the US only allowing a pro-Bush supporter to carry thier flag (although they probably do).

You are completely missing the point. It's not a right to carry the flag it's an honour, one that should not have been bestowed on him in the first place. It's too late now, but he shouldn't have been given that privledge.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

OOOhhhhhh!!!! Touchy subject.

PS...

Why do the Americans have the blacks and the Candians have the french?

They had first pick.

I'm not touching this subject at all.

WTF? "... Americans have the blacks and the Canadians ..."

Your analogy is lost on me.

And no, I don't like Roch Voisine either.:(

Thats an old farmer joke from my Dad'd day (the nineteen dicketies). I make sure I tell it to all my Quebec friends.

How many seperatists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

2. One to screw in the bulb and one to suck my ****ing cock!

And I ****ing love Roch Voisine[:o)]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Any quebecer ( separtist or not) who pays taxes to the federal government should be entitled to the same level of services or treatment as anybody else, or NO?

Absolutely. We may not live in a political system with a equal one-man-one-vote format but it's pretty close to it.

As far as money is concearned my critique of BQ members or any seperatist running for a federal riding is based on that members profiting from an institution, in this case the Canadian Domion, while proportedly working towards, as they see it, the destruction of this sinister institution.

You can't claim any sort of base of moral judgment or creditability while accepting wages from The Dark Overlord. You can't. And if your willing to double speak your arguments to convince yourself that you can take an oath of allegience and still be a seperatist and that you can cloth, feed, and shelter your family out of the Dark Overlord's purse than how can you be a person to be trusted. Seems to me your convictions are flown as a flag of convience. That is to say when they're convienent. When they're not, eat, drink and be merry. Because tomorrow, we seperate.

Now if BQ members came to Parliment refusing any monetary compensation from the Crown, directly or indirectly, that would be quite another thing. On the monetary issue at least.

Wheh.

P.S. Good on Mr. Gill. Nice of him to speak up. Can't say it wasn't expected.

FRANCOPHONE ALERT!!!

Quick guys, go hide in the holes and nuclear bunkers you scurry to when a Francophone person enters the room.

Alright, allow me to let you in on a little secret: The Greatest gift the separatists can receive is the "Separatists are Traitors and should be lynched" contingent. When Quebecers hear your rhetoric, even the proud Canadian-Quebecers (of which you seem to forget are in the majority) wince and become obstinate.

Most people who voted OUI in '95 were in the 18-25 age group. Young people are more rebellious (not exactly a socialogical secret I'm revealing here), and most young separatists become proud Canadians as they get older and wiser. I'm 28, and have seen many of my Separatist friends come over to the right side of this argument. The old cronies of the separatist movement (Levesque, Landry, Bouchard, Parizeau) simply prey on the younger generation's passion and naiveté. Not too hard to figure out why most artists (who live in a state of suspended adolescence) in Quebec are prone to Separation; they've simply never grown up.

Gordon hit the nail on the head with his post. We have to put the Referendums behind us. They happened, and on both occasions the better political reality won. Some people just can't let go, and that goes for people on both sides of this argument. To me, it's just redundant and painfully cyclical.

For the record, I'm a Franco-Ontarian.

quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not touching this subject at all.

WTF? "... Americans have the blacks and the Canadians ..."

Your analogy is lost on me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a better one to use was the Americans have Mexicans :)

Maybe it's just me, but I've always been of the view that "jokes" work best when they contain some humor. These efforts are, at best, inane -- and, at worst, they're ... well, why waste my time even going there.

I have to admit, my first, baser instinct was to jump on the JayWay bandwagon too.

Luckily though, I decided to actually think through how I feel about M. Gill, and I'm glad I did. Upon reflection I came up with this deep thought... people change.

Now, obviously, changing your mind doesn't always set right wrongs you may have done in the past, but I think there's a sense of irony in having an admitted seperatist saying what an honour it is to carry the Canadian flag. All the quotes I've seen are M. Gill talking circa 1995. That's very nearly 10 years ago. I hope to god no one digs up a quote of the crap I thought was "cool" 10 years ago. Who knows, maybe M. Gill will run for office as a seperatist in 10 years and have to explain why he thought it was a "honour" to carry a Canadian flag...

...or maybe he'll run for office and say "you know.. when I was young and foolish I thought seperatism was a good idea, but then I carried the Canadian flag and felt the pride and honour that goes with it.. that's why I'm trying to make a strong united Canada".

Heh.. or maybe he'll just have a beer and tell his grand-kids about the wicked party he had in Greece.[8D]

Someone else linked this to a Whoregraves analogy and I was trying to think if it were possible to get him back, should we take him. To me the difference is a "family affair". Canadian divisions exsist, but we work them out in our own way. I was on the Canadian National Taekwondo team in 1994 that went to the Goodwill games in St. Petersburg, Russia. We had an Albertan, 2 from Ontario, a Quebecor and an Oka first-nations from Quebec. Talk about a dysfunction waiting to happen. Funny thing is, we all had the Maple leaf on our backs, we teased the Americans, hung out with the Cuban boxing team, had some laughs with a French Cyclist and generally had a great time. That's what pride in your country does for you. The Whore made his choice, and I hope he tears up every time he hears "God Save the Queen"... but obviously he doesn't with "O' Canada".

Great.. now someone is gonna quote this back to me in 10 years....:D

That article is simply a load of crap and it starts with who wrote it. Steve Simmons! No need to go any further.

Oh and JayWay...weren't you that guy wearing the t-shirt with an American flag at the second leg of Canada-Belize? Hmmmm...;)

quote:Originally posted by moonturk

Oh and JayWay...weren't you that guy wearing the t-shirt with an American flag at the second leg of Canada-Belize? Hmmmm...;)

That was over a month ago. I was young, rebellious and ultimately naive. I'm older and wiser now, and I can honestly say I'd never make the same mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Most people who voted OUI in '95 were in the 18-25 age group. Young people are more rebellious (not exactly a socialogical secret I'm revealing here), and most young separatists become proud Canadians as they get older and wiser. I'm 28, and have seen many of my Separatist friends come over to the right side of this argument. The old cronies of the separatist movement (Levesque, Landry, Bouchard, Parizeau) simply prey on the younger generation's passion and naiveté. Not too hard to figure out why most artists (who live in a state of suspended adolescence) in Quebec are prone to Separation; they've simply never grown up.

The youth wonder why they get no respect. The "I was young at the time" argument is one that doesn't wash with me.

Archived