Bye Bye Aviators - It's Been Nice To Know You

leekoo

EDMONTON PROFESSIONAL SOCCER RETURNS MEN'S A-LEAGUE TEAM TO THE UNITED SOCCER LEAGUES

In a meeting on Sunday July 18th, 2004, the shareholders of Edmonton Professional Soccer Ltd. concluded that their dream of professional soccer in Edmonton was not financially viable.

The shareholders began the Men’s and Women’s Aviators with the belief that professional soccer would benefit our community, our children, and the sport of soccer. The original plan of the company was to partner with minor soccer in Edmonton in order to promote young talent as well as to provide fun affordable family entertainment. Edmonton's youth were the primary audience for professional soccer through their attendance at games, participation in clinics, and hopefully, for some, the opportunity for the Aviator’s teams.

This approach deviated from the normal business plan of soccer being a business competing for entertainment dollars. We originally believed this difference would create a fresh and successful way to market professional soccer in Edmonton. Despite everybody’s best efforts and intentions, the program did not evolve as expected, and the fan support the Aviators earned did not match expectations.

Therefore, the shareholders of the Edmonton Professional Soccer Ltd. have handed back the franchise rights for the Edmonton Aviators A- league to the United Soccer Leagues. The USL has indefinitely postponed Tuesday’s A-League match between the Portland Timbers and the Aviators in Edmonton while it reviews its options regarding the remaining schedule of the Edmonton A-League team.

In addition to fielding teams, the Aviators have marketed soccer camps and academies. The company is working hard to have these continue through qualified third party instructors. The soccer camps and academies currently scheduled should continue.

Awful, awful.

Another black eye for soccer in Canada. Going into Commonwealth Stadium was a mistake for starters. They thought they were going to get 11 000 spectators per game?? Come on, it took the Montreal Impact 10 years to get crowds at now 8000+.

The only thing to do now is to turn it into a non profit organization(a la Impact). And(I know this will be a heresy to say this) start in the PDL and Y Leagues and stay there for 2 years and bulid up. (Then have an A-League team later)

The sad part about this story is that, aside from overestimating the revenues, I cannot think of anything else that they did that one could point to as a wrong approach. Unlike some other a-league clubs in canada, their facility was first class. They sought to ensure that the club was close to the public by giving preferance to local players but at the same time ensuring that you have enough non-local players to be competive. I don't think that they were out of it either. For a first year team, their results were pretty good. The media coverage looked to be decent as witnessed by the number of stories from the mainstream media that surfaced here.

They did all the right things IMO except being patient.

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Awful, awful.

Another black eye for soccer in Canada. Going into Commonwealth Stadium was a mistake for starters. They thought they were going to get 11 000 spectators per game?? Come on, it took the Montreal Impact 10 years to get crowds at now 8000+.

The only thing to do now is to turn it into a non profit organization(a la Impact). And(I know this will be a heresy to say this) start in the PDL and Y Leagues and stay there for 2 years and bulid up. (Then have an A-League team later)

No doubt, the 11K bit was grossly optimistic and yes, you have to be patient and stay in it for the long run. But the bit about Commonwealth stadium is hindsight in my opinion. Since I am not a Nostradamus, I think that it was the right aproach. If the club had played at an alternate smaller venues and still folded, we would be saying that it was foolish to play there given that you need the professional environment or facility to sell the game. Besides, if their plans forcasted for 11K per game on average, then Commonwealth is the only viable place isn't it?

Starting in the PDL would have have made sense but whether or not your a non profit organization is irrelevant for these reasons that I have posted here.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3824

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The sad part about this story is that, aside from overestimating the revenues, I cannot think of anything else that they did that one could point to as a wrong approach. Unlike some other a-league clubs in canada, their facility was first class. They sought to ensure that the club was close to the public by giving preferance to local players but at the same time ensuring that you have enough non-local players to be competive. I don't think that they were out of it either. For a first year team, their results were pretty good. The media coverage looked to be decent as witnessed by the number of stories from the mainstream media that surfaced here.

They did all the right things IMO except being patient.

Well... when your business plan calls for having the highest attendance in the league, accompanied with some of the highest ticket prices, they should have been a first class organization.

quote:So here we have a brand new soccer club in Alberta. This is a club with huge aspirations and seems to have the commitment to take the A-League by storm. Preaching a strong local focus with strong financing and a link to youth soccer in the community, its hard to see how this club could fail. Does this sound like anything you read about two seasons ago? Of course, the fact that their guaranteeed youth soccer dollars fell through and their commitment to signing foreigners of a mediocre nature also seems eerily similar.

North Boys - Not Just Pretty Faces

Ug.

Well, wow. Sorry, lads.

Whatever happened to the owners being commited to a three year plan? Rats from a sinking ship cause a stampede and capsize the good ship Aviators?

Geezus, how long did all this take? Six months?

Sorry again...

Very sad & pathetic.

What really sucks is that by A-League standards, their crowds weren't that bad. There was a lot of clubs with worse attendance.

Hopefully the A-league will keep the team going till the end of the season, find an owner, move from Commonwealth to Clarke, and budget for crowds of 3000 like every other A-League club.

The team did draw decently for a first year franchise and if ownership had more patience the Aviators .have developed into one of the more stable franchises. I hop Calgary works out better. At least the Mustangs look as if they are going to be around for next year and hopefully their attendance will start improving.

If anything, the Aviators proved to me that the A-league is viable in Edmonton.

They simply need an ownership group that has their feet on the ground, with more reasonable/humble expectations and the financial means to stick it out.

When I read about the jumbo screen at Commonwealth, I couldn't believe it. What were these guys thinking ? And average crowds of 11,000 ? These guys really had no idea what they were doing, but still managed to get a reasonable crowd (by A-League standards).

quote:Originally posted by martin lechelt

Count me as naive. I thought they the resolve to stick it out.

What about the women? The press release only mentioned the A-League team. The women have proved to be a good W-League draw.

Well, since the W-League team finished their season on Friday (and due to it being a non-professional team) there is no rush to decide what is happening before next spring. Also, if the women's team will continue, I expect that there will have to be a new organization developed to take it over, as the present ownership will certainly be declaring bankruptcy.

The Ownership of the aviators in my opinion didn't do their homework. They should have played all their games at Clarke instead of Commonwealth, build it up slowly. Best Case Scenario is have the league own the team for the rest of the year, look for suitable owners, move it to Clarke and have a commitment from the City and Province to upgrade to 6,000 venue. But the business plan was flawed from the start, In the A-League nobody has an average attendence of over 10,000 and I don't know what the hell they were smoking. They should have thinked small!!!!!!

Archived