Voyageurs Cup Match 11: Toronto vs. Calgary [R]

DJT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

the offsides stat has to be typo so I wont' post it

No kidding. Just for fun: they had 3 offsides for Toronto and 21 for Calgary! I have to say, it's remarkable enough that Rogers has these games, but the quality of their broadcasts, from top to bottom, has not improved over the course of the season (or over the last couple of years, for that matter).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

No kidding. Just for fun: they had 3 offsides for Toronto and 21 for Calgary! I have to say, it's remarkable enough that Rogers has these games, but the quality of their broadcasts, from top to bottom, has not improved over the course of the season (or over the last couple of years, for that matter).

They posted that stat again.. You would think that someone would clue in that it doesn't make sense.

Well, Gerba makes up for all those missed chances (I guess). It was indeed a nice winning goal. We didn't yet mention that it was actually a header, so all three goals were scored that way in this game.

Montreal keeps getting help in the VC with the results of matches between the other teams. I'd have to double check, but, if I recall correctly, in all the games not involving Montreal the team with the higher number of points has not been able to win, meaning that no one is able to get on a roll and close the gap at the top.

Result of the Sunday July 18th, 2004 A-League game between Toronto Lynx and Calgary Mustangs played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 6:00pm.

10 min...Mustangs Walter Otta GOAL...Mustangs Mesut Mert cornerkick from left is into box and Otta leaps on short left side and flicks 3 yard header into hight right corner of net.

52 min...Lynx Andres Arango GOAL...Lynx Darren Baxter cornerkick from right is high and over to players standing even with left post and Arango leaping header from 5 yards into center of net.

61 min...Lynx Arango gets called for pulling down CM Walter Otta in Lynx box on confusion on high bouncer that lets Otta behind defense. Referee Simon Murgatroyd calls for a Penalty kick.

62 min...Mustangs Ernesto Zapata takes penalty kick to right and has diving goalie Bryheem Hancock block and catch shot. (Looked similar to England's David Beckham's penalty kick on France's Fabian Barthez at Euro 2004).

90 min, 30 seconds (extra time)...Lynx Ali Gerba GOAL...Lynx Lewis Blois rushes down left wing just after kickoff and crosses from 5 yards from end line into box and charging Gerba jabs foot out to poke in 5 yarder into right corner of net beyond goalie Lutz Pfannenstiel.

Final Score:............Toronto Lynx..........2 (OT).........Calgary Mustangs.........1 (OT)...........

Attendance was announced as 3462 on this warm humid evening with the sun emerging from behind clouds at various times of the game.

A very exciting and entertaining game between two struggling teams. Lynx opened up the first and second halfs like gangbusters but couldn't score. They had most of the chances in the entire game but forwards Ali Gerba and John Barry Nusum couldn't put their chances away. They couldn't be substituted because their were no forwards on the Lynx bench so it looked like they would just tire out. A five minute break before the overtime started and another pep talk by coach Duncan Wilde got them storming out to start the overtime and they scored on their first opportunity.

The Mustangs had two new forwards written into the lineup, Walter Otta and Ernesto Zapata. Their teammates had trouble getting them the ball. They only had three players on their bench besides a back up goalie. They had only flown in from Calgary this morning after a Friday night game in Milwaukee so the Rogers TV announcers were speculating they would tire out by the end of the game.

The Lynx had by far the greater number of chances outshooting the Mustangs by a 2-1 margin although so many of their shots were off target. Lynx goalie Bryheem Hancock had to be sharp or this game would have got away. The longer the game went on, the more confident the Mustangs became.

The overtime win somewhat avenges the overtime loss against Richmond Kickers on Wednesday however that loss effectively knocked the Lynx out of the playoff race. Three points in the standings for the two games is better than the two points for two ties (no overtime) that the A-League will use next year for the first time to align with the rules of MLS and most of the rest of the world.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Lovley game, I just started being a LYNX fan this season well I attended my first one this season I used to be a fan from afar. This was my 3rd game and I finally saw a goal :). The PK was BS but if you guys ask SEAN I said hanncock will dive right and will stop it !!!!! BOOM what happens he does that :) heheh Great goals the crowd (ULTRAS) were great stremers and all we sang the nite away WHOO GO LYNX GO !!!!

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Lovley game, I just started being a LYNX fan this season well I attended my first one this season I used to be a fan from afar. This was my 3rd game and I finally saw a goal :). The PK was BS but if you guys ask SEAN I said hanncock will dive right and will stop it !!!!! BOOM what happens he does that :) heheh Great goals the crowd (ULTRAS) were great stremers and all we sang the nite away WHOO GO LYNX GO !!!!

Did you guys get your Tailgate off going? I would have liked to have seen this game.

The tailgate was not nearly as exciting as Jay drinking beer on live TV. Before which we ran into one of the linesmen who thinks we're the greatest and insists that we continue to hurl insults at him. Y'know, the bald dude with the poodle. Nice guy.

Good night for chants, chums. Those who have not been around for the last two games are in for a treat when you finally next show up.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

The tailgate was not nearly as exciting as Jay drinking beer on live TV. Before which we ran into one of the linesmen who thinks we're the greatest and insists that we continue to hurl insults at him. Y'know, the bald dude with the poodle. Nice guy.

Good night for chants, chums. Those who have not been around for the last two games are in for a treat when you finally next show up.

They showed you guys on TV three times tonight. In each case the camera was fixed on you guys for about five seconds. Could spot you in the red shirt next to James S. Jay leaning against the rail No then GL a step below and also against the side rail. No sight of Jay drinking beer though.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

, but the quality of their broadcasts, from top to bottom, has not improved over the course of the season (or over the last couple of years, for that matter).

Furthermore, the lack of camera's really hindered the quality of the broadcast. Notice on the penalty, they showed one replay and it was from a bad angle and you really couldn't tell all that much. It certainly didn't look clear cut. You get a sense that the call was because arrango held the fowrd. He certain didn't foul in an attempt to tackle him. You couldn't tell the extend to which arrango held the Mustang forward. if at all. The reply was totally useless in that instance cause the angle was poor and too far. I would have had a better vantage point at the stadium.

I suppose that you can only expect so much from a community channell. We should probaby be just thankfull that they are showing these games in the first place. Afterall what have the all sports chanells done to show A-league soccer in the first place?

Free kick, I agree with both of your comments. The replays don't add much, especially in the case of that penalty. But, as I said before as well, it is indeed quite remarkable that Rogers broadcasts Lynx games at all. I mean, it's not as if there's a demand for it. I wonder who pays for the broadcasts?

I also wonder if there will be any more broadcasts this season, though. Originally they had them scheduled only until the end of June, then they added more, up to and including this one. But there are no more on their schedule at this time. (Last year they scheduled them up until the end of June as well, but then did not add any more.)

(Another note about Rogers... They seem to have stopped their CPSL coverage completely this season. Certainly there's no weekly show, and I haven't seen any matches, either.)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

They posted that stat again.. You would think that someone would clue in that it doesn't make sense.

They probably told someone to count every time the linesman raises his flag as an offside, and he did. Turning every ball off the sideline in to an offside. Sounds like about the right number.

Most important news of the night - Mayor David Miller (who is so opposite of Mel Lastman in so many ways) came up the to the Ultras section to talk to us (after we had done a "There's only one David Miller" chant and shouted to him that we wanted a new stadium) to tell us that the condition to provide funding for the new stadium based upon Canada getting the U20 World Cup was removed a week ago, and that the stadium is essentially a go for 2006. He did mention that there were some minor things that had to be sorted out but it was basically a done deal. Interestingly he did say that he couldn't guarantee that the Lynx would be moving there.

With Jack Warner pulling an about face and praising South Korea while the US are apparently now bidding for the 2007 tourney to ruin the alleged Concacaf solidarity, this was the best news of the day.

Adrian Serioux was in the crowd in his new Canada duds and he indicated that things went very well for him in B.C. and he hopes to be selected for the next qualifier. He seemed quietly confident to me.

this was my first lynx game of the year and i have to say they played really well. They dominated the whole first half. They had most of the posession, wheteher or not Calgary is a good team. I really like Edgar Bartolomeu, I've watched him play with the lynx in 2000 and boy did he ever improve. The guy has such good foot work. I think the whole team is good the only thing there lacking another striker. I honestly think they should look into Joey Todaro. He plays for the York Region Shooters of the Cpsl and he's very quick and can score some goals. The pitch looks alot better then last year thats forsure, still needs some work though.

this was my first lynx game of the year and i have to say they played really well. They dominated the whole first half. They had most of the posession, wheteher or not Calgary is a good team. I really like Edgar Bartolomeu, I've watched him play with the lynx in 2000 and boy did he ever improve. The guy has such good foot work. I think the whole team is good the only thing there lacking another striker. I honestly think they should look into Joey Todaro. He plays for the York Region Shooters of the Cpsl and he's very quick and can score some goals. The pitch looks alot better then last year thats forsure, still needs some work though.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Most important news of the night - Mayor David Miller (who is so opposite of Mel Lastman in so many ways) came up the to the Ultras section to talk to us (after we had done a "There's only one David Miller" chant and shouted to him that we wanted a new stadium) to tell us that the condition to provide funding for the new stadium based upon Canada getting the U20 World Cup was removed a week ago, and that the stadium is essentially a go for 2006. He did mention that there were some minor things that had to be sorted out but it was basically a done deal. Interestingly he did say that he couldn't guarantee that the Lynx would be moving there.

With Jack Warner pulling an about face and praising South Korea while the US are apparently now bidding for the 2007 tourney to ruin the alleged Concacaf solidarity, this was the best news of the day.

Adrian Serioux was in the crowd in his new Canada duds and he indicated that things went very well for him in B.C. and he hopes to be selected for the next qualifier. He seemed quietly confident to me.

Damn. I wish I would have been there. Did anyone mention to him that his city was almost certain to be excluded from WCQ games. Did anyone ask Miller if he is doing anything to ensure that the city isn't?

I found it annoying listening to him inetrviewed on TV yesterday and he was glowing over the upcomming chmpions series games but seemed clueless to the fact that there was upcomming WCQ matches and Canada was playing in it? and his city was ignored.

Nobody asked him those questions because they weren't really necessary. He talked about the stadium being ready for 2006 which means that the city of Toronto is being "ignored" (or more accurately, not used) simply because there is no suitable venue until the stadium is built. If the suitable venue is built and they still don't hold any matches here then we can justifiably accuse the CSA of ignoring Toronto - but I highly doubt if that will happen. If a new soccer stadium is built, the games will come.

quote:I found it annoying listening to him inetrviewed on TV yesterday and he was glowing over the upcomming chmpions series games but seemed clueless to the fact that there was upcomming WCQ matches and Canada was playing in it? and his city was ignored.

Yeah, but isn't everyone? They're calling it "the biggest soccer event in Toronto ever" or something. I guess we should be happy there is some focus on soccer these days, but it's kind of misplaced. Once again, Toronto beds with non-sensical mega sporting events instead of developing it's own thing. That being said, I'm going to Skydome too, so it's all my fault.

But I'd rather see Canada anyday.

I didn't find anything to be annoyed about with Miller from a personal or soccer perspective. I don't expect him to talk about World Cup qualifying for Canada when it can't come to his city until next time round and he knows that. When was the last time Mel Lastman attended a Lynx match (Hint: Never), let alone charged up to the Ultras section to talk to hardcore Lynx supporters at half-time?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nobody asked him those questions because they weren't really necessary. He talked about the stadium being ready for 2006 which means that the city of Toronto is being "ignored" (or more accurately, not used) simply because there is no suitable venue until the stadium is built. If the suitable venue is built and they still don't hold any matches here then we can justifiably accuse the CSA of ignoring Toronto - but I highly doubt if that will happen. If a new soccer stadium is built, the games will come.

Well, I didn't mean to suggest that we pester or badger him on it. Not at all, but often , when you talk to these guys, its the sentiments that you express that leave a greater impression than the questions asked. We all know the stadium situation is a problem here. But how much of a priority is it and how often does he follow up on this dossier or is he even aware of it. The mere expression of disappointed at not host WCQ matches might leave the impression that there are people in TO that care about these things. As opposed to just caring about Euro clubs soccer or Euro nations. Thats the sence I get from him in the interview. he needs to know that there are people that care about these things because organiztions ( public or private) of any gendre are about setting priorities. Priorities are based on what affects most people.

Therefore, I might have asked him if he is as disspointed as we are that all the WCQ are likely to go to other canadian cities? That kind of stuff....Thatis not pestering or badgering and That way he might think to himself: Hmmmm! I wasn't aware of this issue and hey I better inform myself on this asap since i could be out of the loop. The mear fact that you mighrt have stimulated an interest in him on this topic might go a very long way to bring this at the public forefront and stimulate discussions even though nothing can be done in the short term/

Archived