Eighteen for August:Your roster picks vs Guatemala

nolando

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I struggle to see a guy starting on the A Team losing hs spot to a B Team player for a WCQ. A friendly, yes perhaps. My sense is that the only player at real risk would be Watson, and then only because Tony Menezes is expereinced and, well, more talented.

Even Simpson, who apparently had to very good games on the trot, is not a defender, so is looking to beat out DD and Brennan, two very good players. Perhaps with Hume out, DD will play on th eright flank and Simpson slected as cover on the left side. Jeffrey, you may not have gotten a chance to see the Beleize games, but in both Jazic pushed forward frequently and effectively. I think Yallop should be quite happy with both his outside backs.

Really, the questions seems to be: will it be Occean or Simpson who replaces Hume for Guatamala? And did Menezes or Gervais show enough to bump Watson. Perhaps Yallop will invite 24+ players, some of the B team standouts, Nsaliwa, maybe Bent, and let them compete for the back-up spots. I can also easily see Simpson, Peters, Occean earning themselves a call up for an A-team friendly, but a WCQ? I think you want to be pretty certain that they can compete before you take this step.

As for Starting line-ups, I think Matthew is on the right track, although McKenna may replace Pesch as a started for the sound reasons stated by Jeffrey. If not starting, then certainly an early sub on for McKenna if we are not getting good looks at the Guatamala goal.

That would make sense to me. We could use some depth in central defense and the B team is a good way find a player or two to fill in the odd game in the event of a suspension to devos or someone similar. Also, Yallop need to have some idea who his third string keeper is going to be? or even who the backup is going to be should lars have trouble finding a club or if Onstad struggles.

What I suspect Yallop needs from the B teams player(s) that he choses is someone who doesn't make mistakes and is experienced enough to be counted on in a pinch. I suspect two and most three might be in the on the squad versus Guatemala. None will be a starter. The closest to starting might be the extra central defender only because Watson is also at a similar level.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle to see a guy starting on the A Team losing hs spot to a B Team player for a WCQ. A friendly, yes perhaps. My sense is that the only player at real risk would be Watson, and then only because Tony Menezes is expereinced and, well, more talented.

Even Simpson, who apparently had to very good games on the trot, is not a defender, so is looking to beat out DD and Brennan, two very good players. Perhaps with Hume out, DD will play on th eright flank and Simpson slected as cover on the left side. Jeffrey, you may not have gotten a chance to see the Beleize games, but in both Jazic pushed forward frequently and effectively. I think Yallop should be quite happy with both his outside backs.

Really, the questions seems to be: will it be Occean or Simpson who replaces Hume for Guatamala? And did Menezes or Gervais show enough to bump Watson. Perhaps Yallop will invite 24+ players, some of the B team standouts, Nsaliwa, maybe Bent, and let them compete for the back-up spots. I can also easily see Simpson, Peters, Occean earning themselves a call up for an A-team friendly, but a WCQ? I think you want to be pretty certain that they can compete before you take this step.

As for Starting line-ups, I think Matthew is on the right track, although McKenna may replace Pesch as a started for the sound reasons stated by Jeffrey. If not starting, then certainly an early sub on for McKenna if we are not getting good looks at the Guatamala goal.

That would make sense to me. We could use some depth in central defense and the B team is a good way find a player or two to fill in the odd game in the event of a suspension to devos or someone similar. Also, Yallop need to have some idea who his third string keeper is going to be? or even who the backup is going to be should lars have trouble finding a club or if Onstad struggles.

What I suspect Yallop needs from the B teams player(s) that he choses is someone who doesn't make mistakes and is experienced enough to be counted on in a pinch. I suspect two and most three might be in the on the squad versus Guatemala. None will be a starter. The closest to starting might be the extra central defender only because Watson is also at a similar level.

I think it funny that people are getting excited over performances over Sh itty Hearts and Millwall in a July friendly. Yes, it's good for Peters, but come on. Hearts and Millwall had nothing to play for except to get in shape. They didn't care about winning.

I like Gian-Luca's starting 11. It makes sense to me and I think it will work very well. I also think that it would be great to see Nsaliwa back in the fold soon. He doesn't have the passing strengths to play at right-mid, but he could become a killer at right back. This would allow us to push Deisel up into mid where he truly belongs. Nsaliwa has wheels and is good in the air and could be great back there with Devos and Jazic and McKenna, though I wish we had a center d with better pace, maybe Imhoff or Hutch.

Can't wait until August 18th.

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

I think it funny that people are getting excited over performances over Sh itty Hearts and Millwall in a July friendly. Yes, it's good for Peters, but come on. Hearts and Millwall had nothing to play for except to get in shape. They didn't care about winning.

I guess the question is whether Hearts & Millwall in pre-season mode is less of a test than Belieze in WCQ mode. Millwall, of course, played most of the the game with 10 men.

Peters did make a name for himself in the 2 games however I don't think he'll displace anyone just yet.He got himself noticed and that's great.I don't think I'd be bringing him in unless we either mathematiclly clinch or get eliminated early on or we get loads of injuries.He's also trying to get a spot in midfield where it is very difficult considering our depth at that position.

Defense is where I would look at adding depth and with Reda,Gervais,Menezes and Serioux all having decent appearances last week I would look at at least one or 2 of these guys to get a spot on the bench or even start if need be.

We cant forget about Jason Bent.This guys always been there when called upon.If he's healthy he should be called in for training camp to see where he is at with regards to his fitness.He's got the experience and he's still young enough to keep up to speedy attackers and add cover in a defensive midfield role.

That's the thing with Bent, not sure if he's healthy and even if he has returned to fitness, it has been a while since he has played. If he signs with a club & starts playing regularly before Aug.18th he should definitely be considered for inclusion.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jeffrey, you may not have gotten a chance to see the Beleize games, but in both Jazic pushed forward frequently and effectively. I think Yallop should be quite happy with both his outside backs.

No I didn't see it, and it didn't interest me enough to insist on a video. But I am going to bug the board for one with the Guatemala game.

Jazic, well at Rapid they said he did not get forward enough, was timid in that sense, held back and just defended mostly. Probably because he has more devending responsibility in a good league than vs. Belize. Also, we were at home both matches, Belize's potential wings were back defending. So I don't think him going forward so much vs. Belize is indicative of what he will do vs. Guatemalaor the rest of semis. Especially at the start of the game, indeed it is better to have our outside defenders staying back a bit to help the centre out, and if Brennan is in there Jazic won't have to move forwards so much.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That's the thing with Bent, not sure if he's healthy and even if he has returned to fitness, it has been a while since he has played. If he signs with a club & starts playing regularly before Aug.18th he should definitely be considered for inclusion.

I agree with this - I was not impressed with Bernier against Belize and was thinking that Bent should take Bernier's spot once Bent gets healthy, gets a club and gets back in game shape. However, Tam Nsaliwa may force his way back into the reckoning for that same spot if he can nail down a regular spot with his new club.

Re: Josh Simpson. He looks like a great young prospect but, seriously guys, he plays left mid where we've already got Jim Brennan (an English Premier League player!) and DeRosario (newly converted to the position by Yallop.) Barring an injury to one of those two, I don't see how there's room for Simpson on the squad against Guatemala.

I would hardly say that DD has been permanently converted to left midfield. It harks back to what I said before about the advantages of keeping players more or less at the positions they play at club level. And Yallop knows better than anyone just exactly what DD can do as a real striker.

I would basically stick with the starters Yallop used in the first game against Belize. I was very impressed with the quality of passing in that game. I haven't seen such good chemistry among our players in a very long time. I have Simpson in for Hume and Menezes instead of Watson.

----DeRosario---Radzinski----

Simpson---Pesch---DeGuzman

-----Imhof--------Stalteri-----

--Jazic---DeVos---Menezes--

-----------Onstad-----------

Subs:

Bircham

McKenna

Brennan

Bernier

Hutchinson

Watson

Hirschfeld

Alright here it goes.

Onstad

Hirschfeld

Devos

Mckenna

Jazic

Watson

Stalteri

De Guzman

Hutchinson

Imhoff

Bircham

Bent

Brennan

Bernier

Biello(Hume when not suspended)

De Rosario

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Starting

Onstad

Stalteri

De Vos

McKenna

Jazic

Brennan

Bircham(Hume when Avaialble)

De Guzman

De Rosario

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Subs:

Hirschfeld

Watson

Hutchinson

Imhoff

Bent

Bernier

Biello

Its good to see Simpson and Gervais, pizzolitto etc on the brink. the younger ones maybe neeed alittle more time or a couple international freindlies first. Peters always was a good talent but I dont think is ready to make the jump. He is still quite young and has not landed a permanent club gig yet. Should get established somewhere in a club system first. Menezes perhaps could come as cover but it seemed he still was building up match fitness. With Hum out i put Bircham in to start so we still have a source of flare and an interesting haircut out there. And brought Biello as cover for the feel good factor.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Chet

I would basically stick with the starters Yallop used in the first game against Belize. I was very impressed with the quality of passing in that game. I haven't seen such good chemistry among our players in a very long time. I have Simpson in for Hume and Menezes instead of Watson.

----DeRosario---Radzinski----

Simpson---Pesch---DeGuzman

-----Imhof--------Stalteri-----

--Jazic---DeVos---Menezes--

-----------Onstad-----------

Subs:

Bircham

McKenna

Brennan

Bernier

Hutchinson

Watson

Hirschfeld

Re Menezes, a good sign is that he is on summer break in China, they are not back until the 4th of September, bad date for us. Wonder if he'll have a conflict with the club for that set if he is to be brought in. But he is definitely available for Guatemala, only that if folks think he was far from full match shape earlier this month, after playing regularly on the club all Spring, what condition will he have after taking 6 weeks off from games?

Guest Jeffery S.

I can't read Norsk, but an article in vg.no seems to suggest Olivier Occean is part of the semis plan for Yallop, they ask him and his coach about it. But I don't understand the details, can imagine it is typical club-country thing. Also mentioned he scored the winner vs. Millwall.

He scored a fine header coming on 2nd half vs. Valerenga in a friendly last weekend.

In principle this weekend is also Bernier's chance for a debut with Tromso, let's see if he pans out for them.

Basically the article is stating that, yes, there's a good chance he'll be included in the qualifiers. Worst case scenario for Odd sees Occean missing four to five league matches and two cup games.

Yallop was overjoyed with training camp, Occean scored the winner against Millwall, etc...

Occean says he doesn't know if he'll be included, but he hopes so and it's his dream.

The coach has been in touch with Yallop and has found out that Occean may be used again...it's been a pleasure talking with Yallop...Yallop phones and thanks him afterwards...this (Yallop) is a guy who's interested in cooperating...

...and Occean was a constant problem for Vålerenga's defense, etc, etc...

So overall, a very positive feeling from this article. I'll just slip in at the end that I think Occean should be there: (a)he's in game shape, (b)he's on a scoring tear and ©his team is willing. Sadly, very few (maybe none) of the other players will have a check in all three categories.

alright....well, my heart wants me to pick hirschfeld. unfortunately as far as any of us are concerned he isn't match fit.

my 18 v. guatemala.

gk-onstad

rb-stalteri

cd-de vos

cd-mckenna

lb-brennan

rm-de rosario

cm-de guzman

cm-bircham

lm-bernier

st-radzinski

st-occean

gk-stamatopolous

df-jazic

df-menezes

mf-imhof

mf-hutchinson

mf-simpson

st-peschisolido

i pick bircham because i think the central americans will need to be picked at, beat up, and pestered, and bircham is the perfect guy to do that for us. he'll frustrate them. the only problem is, there diving may offset bircham as he isn't used to that in england. i know we have a lot of strikers, but because de rosario is such an offensive threat i figured we only needed one striker on the bench. i start occean ahead of pesch not for ability, but because radz and pesch are probably too similar. plus, height and crossing will be our biggest advantage as we must be the biggest team in the region. they won't be able to handle everything. i actually select bernier begrudgingly. i wonder if hutchinson might be the better selection. i choose simpson to be on the trip, but not play unless there is a blow out. he needs to see the first team and experience it.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

alright....well, my heart wants me to pick hirschfeld. unfortunately as far as any of us are concerned he isn't match fit.

my 18 v. guatemala.

gk-onstad

rb-jazic

cd-de vos

cd-mckenna

lb-brennan

rm-de rosario

cm-de guzman

cm-bircham

lm-bernier

st-radzinski

st-occean