Eighteen for August:Your roster picks vs Guatemala

nolando

Great thread speculating who has earned a spot on the roster vs Guatemala. Let's take it a step further and pick eighteen for August.

I like the idea of having four proper strikers. Have we ever had four proper and potenetially devastating strikers? Add McKenna as a role players and we have a hell of an offense. I personally like Simpson in for Klukowski. DD is not cover for Hume's spot- neither is OO. They are pure strikers. I really like the idea of using Peters as that option. He is deadly down the side and is so promising at the moment. If top European countries can gamble and put teens on their rosters I think Canada can and should do the same if we have a player with as much promise as Peters (no offense to those who missed the Milwall match but he IS that good). One of Gervais, Reda, or Menezes could come in for Watson in my books and at least two of them will be needed for the roster.I personally don't think Tony being in China makes any difference, and don't think Yallop does either. He will use him as cover for injuries. Atiba's performance in U20 is irrelevant to the present situation- no offense, again, but those who saw Simpson play this week would say the same and so will Yallop.

I never saw Serioux play before but he doesn't look like a solid defender to me, not at least in our mix. A holding mid with creativity, coming off the bench, is where we might see him.

I agree that this is a great discussion to be having. When was there ever this much speculation? This much competition is bound to make for better football, more valued positions on the MNT, and even the potential loss of a player or two (other than FA) who doesn't get selected to the first team.

Here goes with the 18 I think Yallop will choose:

Radzinski

De Rosario

Peschisolido

Occean

Brennan

Bircham

Simpson

Imhof

Bernier (I would personally pick Serioux)

de Guzman (I would pick Peters)

devos

McKenna

Jazic

Stalteri

Watson (I would pick Menezes)

Gervais

Onstad

Hirschfeld

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

WOOAH WOAAAH WOAHHHH...

NO DEGUZMAN????

Jamie peters could be good for a 17 year old.. But Julian Deguzman is one of the best midfielders in Germany!!!!

Hey Nolando. Lay off the BC bud. You're killing me.

I did write that I think deGuzman will play, guys. I just yet have seen him do anything for the MNT even remotely close to what Peters did with his feet this week. Yeah, that's potential, but if you don't bring a potential star in when he's young, then when do you bring him in? Peters showed he was good for a 27 year old never mind a 17 year old. Anyways, lads, go on, show us your picks so we can have at you too.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by nolando

I did write that I think deGuzman will play, guys. I just yet have seen him do anything for the MNT even remotely close to what Peters did with his feet this week. Yeah, that's potential, but if you don't bring a potential star in when he's young, then when do you bring him in? Peters showed he was good for a 27 year old never mind a 17 year old. Anyways, lads, go on, show us your picks so we can have at you too.

I think all of us who were not there are pretty keen about Peters, but I think de Guzman had an amazing first half vs. Germany in our friendly there. Though I'd like to get him playing that way always for Canada. Unfortunately if we have too many forwards in there we lose the virtues of him and Stalteri going forwards, as they are forced to hang back more.

The key vs. Guatemala is the key to the whole semis. Strengthen the back line in the middle and the defensive mid in front. Then relax and go at them with our striking combos. Unless we get a solid friendly in before and can look at our full back line again with possible additions, this may end up being a learning experience in the end. Which I don't really like at all, since it is a key match and we really have to do everything to win it.

Peters is true cover for Bircham and is useful as a sub until we have Hume back. Squishing other guys into roles that don't naturally fit them doesn't have a great history of working for the MNT. Think of all the years we had to groan watching poor Stalteri pretend he was an offensive threat (whatever happened to the I Hate Stalteri Club anyways?), or DD streaking down the wing looking out of place against even anemic Belize. We aren't speculating on Canada's best eighteen players, merely the best roster to fit the plan and the opponent. I stand by my picks.

Agreed on the need for a friendly, Jeffrey. Guatemala has a very reasonable plan for the next month. We, on the other hand, do not. The recent B Team camp is a loosely related side note as far as I am concerned, like an Olympic qualifying camp or an U20 camp. I would feel much more secure with at least one decent CONCACAF friendly in there. I mean jeez, we didn't even spend any money for the B Camp, you think we could use some cash for something.

Getting back to the original topic, here is the 18 I would pick for Guate (no Hume due to suspension).

Radzinski

De Rosario

Peschisolido

Occean

Brennan

Bircham

Simpson

Imhof

Aguiar

De Guzman

Hutchinson

De Vos

McKenna

Jazic

Stalteri

Menezes

Gervais

Hirschfeld

Sutton (Forrest...?)

my picks.

<center> Onstead

Jazic DeVos Imhof McKenna

DeGuzman Stalteri

Hume DeRosario

Peschisolido Radzinski </center>

-Hume and DeRosario on the wings

-I liked Brennan and would put him next in line for back or mid

-I didn't like Klukowski, but have only seen him a few times

-I like DeRosario's ball-winning, crosses

-I put Stalteri ahead of the back 4 to get him more touches, and I know he can run back.

-I know Hume won't be available, perhaps this opens a spot for Bircham or Bent.

-Hutchison, Occean on the bench.

My 18 and starting 11(*) for Guatemala:

Radzinski *

De Rosario *

Occean

McKenna

de Guzman *

Bircham *

Brennan *

Bernier *

Imhof

Hutchison

Nsaliwa

Jazic *

Menezes *

de Vos *

Stalteri © *

Simpson

Hirschfeld *

Onstad

How on earth does Hirschfeld get the nod in August? Tell me that's a joke or that you're playing Flames' advocate or something. Even though a number of people, including myself, have had reservations about Onstad over the years, I see no tenable argument whatsoever for starting Lars. And Nsaliwa?? Lay of the chewing tobacco over there in Alberta, Ed. :)

I don't use that nasty sh(t.

Nsaliwa will be starting 11 in a month for a Bundesliga 2 side. He probably told BT to f himself last year and now has to work his way back into the national setup. Get hold of a tape of Canada vs T&T, July 2000. Lars rules.

"Get hold of a tape of Canada vs T&T, July 2000. Lars rules." Classic example of Ed's ongoing Alberta-centric opinions. Next you'll tell us that Frank not only deosn't like Portuguese but despises all Albertans as well.;) A game tape from four years ago isn't worth much in anyone else's world, I'm afraid.

Nolando,

I thought DD was terrific on the wing against Belize. He moves the ball so well and gives us another dimension to our attack. With DeGuzman in the middle, and DD on the wing being shadowed by the likes of Stalteri and Simpson, Canada can now hit an opponent down the centre, from out wide, or even from the back. Compare that to the days of Osieck where we could barely open one attack front effectively, let alone three.

Ed,

Why no Pesch?

Jayway, I'd put Pesch as fourth choice as Radzinski, McKenna and De Rosario just produce more goals; we need to find a striking duo amongst those three that works. And no disrespect but I'd like to have a look at Occean as his progress seems very good to date.

And Nolberto, kindly give the conspiracy theory a rest. I like a lot of Canadian players from outside Alberta. If you're looking for a bias, look no further than my respect for Canadian boys who can head over to Germany and be better than the German players and the foreign legion from around the world and hold a spot as a non-UEFA player. If Canizales were healthy, he'd be on my list of 18. It's not where you're from, it's what you bring to the game. We'll see how Tam does in Germany this season. I've seen Hirschfeld and Nsaliwa play really well for Canada in the past. I'm sorry to say I think our goalkeeping situation is a source of worry heading into the semis.

A few points. Canada needs to play its 2 best strikers up front. I personally believe that means DeRosario and Radzinski. DeRo's talents are wasted on the wing.

Finally, I agree with Ed on Nsaliwa. Just watch the Canada-USA game from the 2002 Gold Cup. I believe Germany's second tier is on par with the second tier in England. If Nsaliwa was playing in the Championship (or the First Division or whatever retarded name the English have for their second tier), people on this board would be crapping in their pants with joy. Nsaliwa has done nothing to lose his spot on the national team, and we need him for WCQ.

DeRosario was as good on the right against Belize as he was on the left. Don't think he loses much playing either wing. Since we should be looking for goals against Guatemala I say he starts.

I'm going to pick my 18, but will say it's within reason (Nsawila would be in my 18, but I'd say there's no way he's in Frank's for Aug. 18) . . .

-----------------Onstad

Stalteri-----Menezes--DeVos----Jazic

--DeRosario------Imhof------Brennan

----------------DeGuzman

------Peschisolido-----Radzinski

Bench: Hirschfeld, McKenna, Klukowski, Hutchinson, Bircham, Bernier, Occean.

We may be able to use our height against Guatemala, but honestly I think DeVos on set pieces is no worse than our other options. I suspect Guatemala will be expecting us to try to use our height and I think because of that our best bet is to play the way we like to play - short passing, on the deck, with our best players. Besides which with Hume out we don't have any really great crossers (maybe Bircham, but I rate Imhof better at d-mid and DeRo's a better attacking option).

If it's not working we have height on the bench and option at right back. I don't think Pesch is a 90 min guy and I'd bring Birch in at some point. DeVos will be busy with Pezzarossi which leaves The Other Central Defender busy with Ruiz quite often. Quite simply that can't be Watson. He's rash and overly physical at the best of times. Against the MLS' worst diver (Grant Wahl wouldn't lie would he?) he could be disasterous.

I don't pick on anyone else's picks, but some of you need to lay off the recreational drugs.

cheers,

matthew

DeRosario was as good on the right against Belize as he was on the left. Don't think he loses much playing either wing. Since we should be looking for goals against Guatemala I say he starts.

I'm going to pick my 18, but will say it's within reason (Nsawila would be in my 18, but I'd say there's no way he's in Frank's for Aug. 18) . . .

-----------------Onstad

Stalteri-----Menezes--DeVos----Jazic

--DeRosario------Imhof------Brennan

----------------DeGuzman

------Peschisolido-----Radzinski

Bench: Hirschfeld, McKenna, Klukowski, Hutchinson, Bircham, Bernier, Occean.

We may be able to use our height against Guatemala, but honestly I think DeVos on set pieces is no worse than our other options. I suspect Guatemala will be expecting us to try to use our height and I think because of that our best bet is to play the way we like to play - short passing, on the deck, with our best players. Besides which with Hume out we don't have any really great crossers (maybe Bircham, but I rate Imhof better at d-mid and DeRo's a better attacking option).

If it's not working we have height on the bench and option at right back. I don't think Pesch is a 90 min guy and I'd bring Birch in at some point. DeVos will be busy with Pezzarossi which leaves The Other Central Defender busy with Ruiz quite often. Quite simply that can't be Watson. He's rash and overly physical at the best of times. Against the MLS' worst diver (Grant Wahl wouldn't lie would he?) he could be disasterous.

I don't pick on anyone else's picks, but some of you need to lay off the recreational drugs.

cheers,

matthew

Archived