Canadians abroad: July 16-22, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, July 17

4:00 PM on FSWC — United States: MLS

San Jose (Dwayne de Rosario, Pat Onstad) vs. Colorado

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 16-22, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Swiss Super League starts this weekend, Saturday Imhof's St. Gallen are home to Young Boys.

Games coming up in Russia (Jazic) and in the Scandinavian countries, with a Canadian match-up in the Moss-Haugesund Norway Div. 1 game. Ademolu at Trelleborg and Hutchinson for Helsingborg is also scheduled in Sweden top flight.

Aguiar will not be playing in tomorrows match against Elfsborg. He's got back his problems with an overstrained knee and is recieving treatment from an inflammation.

Squads for the monday clash between Helsingborg and Trelleborg are not yet announced, but anything but Atiba and Ademolu playing would be a great surprise.

Julian de Guzman played the last 20 minutes today as Hannover 96 looked to started some different players in a 5-1 win over a local Oberliga team at their training camp. They play again on Tuesday.

Guest Jeffery S.

Imhof was subbed off at the half in the Swiss league opener for St. Gallen at home vs. Young Boys (att. 9000), seems for firepower, as they came back from two down to take the lead 3-2 only to end up ceding the draw in extra time.

Jazic's team Kuban lost today in Russian action, can't find a report on their site yet.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Rosario came on m. 70 when it was all done, Onstad took the win, as the Quakes beat some team from generica 3-1 in national generica action tonight. Go Blitzz!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Imhof was subbed off at the half in the Swiss league opener for St. Gallen at home vs. Young Boys (att. 9000), seems for firepower, as they came back from two down to take the lead 3-2 only to end up ceding the draw in extra time.

Jazic's team Kuban lost today in Russian action, can't find a report on their site yet.

Here's the game report. Unfortunately, I can't read Russian. So you are better-off translating this info. Good luck OK!!!

http://www.euro-football.ru/champ/tabl.php?com=info&id=1&seson=2004&tur=16&kom=9395

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Here's the game report. Unfortunately, I can't read Russian. So you are better-off translating this info. Good luck OK!!!

http://www.euro-football.ru/champ/tabl.php?com=info&id=1&seson=2004&tur=16&kom=9395

Jazic played 90, his is the 2nd to last name on the list of the team players for Kuban, in case you want to recognize it.

Guest Jeffery S.

Kenny Stamatopolous played 90 as Enkopings could only draw Osters 1-1 in Swedish 2nd tier action. They have a win and 8 ties so far.

As Dandal anticipated, Aguiar was not dressed for Landskrona in top flight, who drew scoreless at home with Elfsborgs.

Jazic played 90, his is the 2nd to last name on the list of the team players for Kuban, in case you want to recognize it.

Jeff, if I'm correct, I am assuming that his last name in Russian is spelled with the a backward R, a star*, the backward N, and finally with a y. The AltaVista translation system actually spells his name "Yazhich".

Stalteri played 90 minutes in two friendlies in a 4 team international tournament hosted by the team I support, fourth division Sachsen Leipzig. Bremen beat Leipzig 4-0 before losing on penalty shots to Red Star Belgrade in the final after playing to 2-2. Stalteri did not take a penalty.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jeff, if I'm correct, I am assuming that his last name in Russian is spelled with the a backward R, a star*, the backward N, and finally with a y. The AltaVista translation system actually spells his name "Yazhich".

That's right. Thanks to Grizzly who explained this a few weeks back. Since numbers are readable for us, at least we will be able to recognize sub ins and outs, plus see if his name appears amongst yellow cards.

Guest Jeffery S.

Ademolu did not dress for Trelleborgs, who were nailed 1-6 at home by Atiba Hutchinson's Helsingborgs tonight. Atiba subbed off in the dying minutes. Big win, suppose Dandal will tell us what gives with Ademolu.

Dandal, since you said you thought that at least one of the Canadian sides (these two and Aguiar (Sita) at Landskrona) would relegate this year, which ones do you think are going to stay up? And another question if I may: why the hell don't Enkopings buy a decent striker, they've been like this for over a year now? Also, are they a big club, would it be very shocking for them to relegate even lower?

They do tend to shuffle the deck a lot at Trelleborg. In Ademolu's case, the head coach actually made a comment, something like this: "We can see flaws in Stephen's play. He comes directly from college soccer and he have things to learn. But there is no doubt he is a reinforcement to the squad." I only saw his first game, but I thought he made things happen, something the team imho needs. But he is of course a young developing player, so it's reasonable that he's not a certain starter.

I'm pretty certain that there is no real relegation danger for Helsingborg (and I was that before last night's match too), Landskrona should be able to stay on, but Trelleborg is in deep trouble. They started good with 2 wins and 3 draws the first 6 games, playing several of the league's top sides. Now they have 6 defeats in a row and before last night they hadn't scored since mid may. Management seems nervous and undecided on which players to play in which system. And probably no money for reinforcements.

On the brighter side, the lower half of the swedish league is pretty tight. There is only 4 points between place 7 and last place 14, where Trelleborg resides.

Just about everyone is looking for a decent striker. I honestly don't think Enköping has the money it takes. It's a small club from a small town. Relegation from the 1st division is out of the question. Enköping has, except for last years stint in the premier division, been playing on this level for the last 20-30 years and I think relegation would kill them.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks for that Dandal, give us a better idea of things. Now do you want to try an even harder question? Why is it that Swedish top flight is so balanced, or better: why is there no dominant team or couple of teams, either historically but mostly nowadays, in Sweden, quite the opposite of what we find in almost all other leagues of a similar level (Norway, Scotland, Austria)?

Hope you don't mind enlightening us.

Guest Jeffery S.

Mark Watson played 54 (and Titus 90) as the Battery beat Metrostars 1-0 in US Open Cup action Wednesday.

They'll play the Richmond Kickers in quarter finals, who beat the New England Revolution (Felix Brillant, subbed out m. 86) after two overtime periods on penalties. Richmond played from m. 57 a man down after an ejection.

The Earthquakes will go to Minnesota for their quarter final match, all to be held August 4.

Four A-League sides are in quarters for the first time, and one is assured a semi-final spot as the Battery will face another A-League team, forgotten who just off.

Daniel Fernandes played 90 minutes today as PAOK were defeated (again) 1-0 by a French team, this time the team being Toulouse.

It seems that in these series of friendlies against French teams, PAOK coach, Angelos Anastasiadis is slowly coming to the decision of making Fernandes the #2 keeper.

Archived