Canada B - Who Wins a Spot on the A Team?

Ian Kennett

First of all, Nolando's review of the Canada/Milwall match, which I attended, is a pretty accurate and well written review. Thanks, Nolando!

I, too, was impressed by several of the Canadian players, and I wonder which of those players will win a post on the senior team for the August 18 match against Guatemala. So, if, as Nolando suggests, the following players (ranked, in my estimation, as to how likely they are to be picked for the Senior team) have a shot:

Josh Simpson d/mf

Olivier Occean f

Gabriel Gervais d

Tony Menezes d

Jamie Peters mf

Adrian Serioux mf

(IMO, all 6 of these guys could legitimately make the senior team although not all would start)

then, which players would be likely to get dropped from the senior team assuming 18 will be named, and that fitness and form are obvious parts of the deal?

Mark Watson? Chris Pozniak? Mark Bircham? Mike Klukowski? Patrice Bernier? Paul Peshicsolido? Daniel Imhof? Atiba Hutchinson?

The Canada/Hearts/Milwall series give Frank Yallop a some interesting choices as he has uncoverd some depth. In addition, for the future, Yallop is keen to see Rhian Dodds, Maycol Canizales, Felix Brilliant, and Johnathon de Guzman to, hopefully, add some names to what appears to be a growing player pool.

Cheers!

Reda could easily be on this list.He may not have been as prominent as the others in these games but he didn't have to be.There was little pressure put on the backline and keepers.With the ball Reda didn't shine but he wasn't worse than Menezes or Gervais.All 3 players as well as Serioux deserve a shot with the A team.If we add Simpson into the fold we can say that our depth in defense has improved over the last few days.

One of the key things that all of these players have in common is that they carry some size.This is something I always thought we could use more of on the team.One thing we dont want to see is our lads getting outmuscled in qualifying.Serioux and Simpson also have some pace and that would help with cover for De Vos,McKenna and of course Watson.

i think the match that hume is suspended for we will now see simpson take the left of midfield and de rosario out on the right.

if simpson impresses then simpson will be a fixture on the squad if not the starting lineup.

i don't know about the others tho. i'd like to see menezes back, especially against the central american squads as he has the demeanor and touch to play talented football at the back.

I'd say realistically that only Watson, Pozniak (who only a cusp player with Yallop) and possibly Bernier are in any real risk dropping out of the line-up.

Having read only reports of the B team games, take these opinions with the appropriate grain of salt.

I doubt if Simpson has played his way in front of DeRosario, Brennan and Jazic on the left side. I do think Simpson will get picked, but not play much if at all. Yallop will want to ease him in gently, I'd guess given his "club" level. Perhaps a late sub if circumstances allow. All three of the players ahead of him are seasoned pros, and none has been a liability, although Brennan has not played as much as the other two. I think it will take injuries before he gets a start, even with Hume missing.

We need another Centre back, so I think things look good for Menezes to come back. Occean also looks a good bet as you can't have enough strikers who can play. With DD on the left, would he be the third striker after Pesch and Radz? He may only be one injury form starting.

I think some of the guys who impressed on the B team have more likely played their way into injury call ups, than actually taking a regular spot. Simpson, perhaps, for his upside, Menezes for need, Occean on talent and lack of depth at striker.

Of course I never saw the games, so this is all rampant speculation.

But a few things jump out at me: a) has anyone played like they deserve to lose their squad place since Frank took over and B) who here is comfortable with someone making their full senior international debut starting in a World Cup qualifier. Or put it another way, who is comfortable with someone making their full senior international debut starting in our biggest game in four years.

I think Bernier is possibly expendable. So might be Atiba and maybe Klukowski. One of Watson and McKenna could lose their spot. Before a ball was kicked in Vancouver I thought that Occean would come in for Hume and I still think he will.

Klukowski and Bernier have both shown they can play in the midfield and as an outside back, so they're versatile and provide cover for three different spots each. I think Simpson may take Klukowski's spot since Brennan could also play in the back in a pinch and we have plenty of d-mid cover.

Will Gervais, Menezes or Reda take Watson's spot? I think it would be a step in the right direction, but Menezes is the only one of those three I can see starting beside DeVos unless we get a friendly. Unless Pizzolitto was quite good? I'd take Nevio over Watson, but he played right back right?

I can't see Serioux as a d-mid. I've always liked him, but I think we have better options. I don't see him starting ahead of Imhof and I can't see him taking Atiba's squad place. At 17 I think there's no chance Jamie Peters is in the running yet.

If we do add Occean, might we add a central defender to replace Mckenna since his duel role as a target forward is taken?

The bottom line is that I thought Atiba and Bernier both played quite well against Belize and have had a handful of appearances to show what they can do. I can't see them being rewarded by losing their spot to guys who had a good 90 mins against league teams in a pre-season friendly.

And it's not like Klukowski or Watson played badly against Belize either, but they do seem the likeliest to lose out if Frank makes more than the one change.

I like Simpson a lot, but let's be honest Atiba was our best player at the U20s by far with Humey as runner-up. And now Simpson 'surely' will take his spot? I can't see it.

The one thing I know for sure is that we need more friendlies ;)

cheers,

matthew

I don't think I'm going to read too much into these two results, such as they are. Had they been contests against sides on the eve of their season kickoffs I'd be a much happier man.

Still, very encouraging. At the very least the lads seemed to have shown bushels of confindense and an ability to be coachable.

Excepting perhaps injury replacements and the odd tactical brain blast against a very specific side I'm going to guess Frankie is pretty set on his 1st team for this next round.

As long as Menezes is in China he's lost to us. Simpson is looking a gem but has put schooling ahead of pro-football so he's next years project. Occean would replace a slower Big Kev if anything I'm guessing, but McKenna scores, plain and simple so I don't see that as likely either.

Dought Watson will lose his spot either. Frankie has his mind set on Onstad and Watson seems to be the other elder statesman to steady the ship as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm reading Frankie wrong. But again, I dought it. (If there is a place where there is going to be movement it'll be at center half. We're going to have to take some punishment before we see it I suspect, but it isn't going to be JDV's head which'll roll).

So no changes at this time according to Cheeta. Excepting of course the usual injury and unavailability moves.

This past week makes a good argument for more home games though dosen't it? Even if it is just with a Canada B side. Sure plenty of opponents can be found, club and national, from this side of the Atlantic. Help promote the game at home. Get some matchs played in centers which otherwise wouldn't get a full national test. Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax. That sort of thing.

Don't expect to see Bent or Hastings getting a call anytime soon either.

From not seeing the matches, its difficult to predict what may happen.

Almost all sides have 4 strikers and with Hume suspended, I think Occean is a definite up front.

With Brennan and Jazic on the left, backed up by DeRossario and possibly Kluklowski, it will be interesting whether Simpson can force his way in. I still think no matter his skill that he needs to play at a higher level to be seriously considered with who we have on the left. Not sure why he is wasting himself with another year in college, but that's not my call (its probably a Canadian thing where degrees are over valued in the scheme of life experiences and job prospects).

At the back, I would not be surprised to see one of Gervais, Reda, or Menezes. And possibly two if Yallop decides to dump Watson and McKenna. I don't think he is that high on McKenna as a central defender and I think the presence of Occean makes him expendable up front.

As for Peters, still think he is too young. If Simpson played on the right, he would make the squad. You can't see Peters taking over from Stalteri and at right mid I would suggest De Rossario for Guatemala with Bernier on the bench.

I will go out on the limb to say Occean will start up front with Rad (and Pesch on the bench).

Anyway, some thoughts for what they are worth.

I'd actually like to see McKenna start up front with Radzinski for the Guatemala game. McKenna does have a nose for he net, as Cheeta said. Canada needs a big man up front for crosses and set pieces, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing Occean into that role for such a big game.

With Hume suspended, they should play DD on the right and Brennan on the left, with De Guzman and Bircham (assuming he's healthy) in the middle.

for the D, Stalteri and Jazic at full back, with De Vos as a lock in the middle. The other CB spot is a big question mark I think. I'm hoping it's not Mark Watson. With the dangerous Ruiz coming at us, I think a quick central defender is needed to snuff him out.

That being said, I think Occean will make the squad, but he should not be in the starting XI

Simpson looks to be a real keeper. But, with so many young players already on the squad( eg.: deGuz,Atiba, Hume, Kluka,) is there really a need to add another young player? Especially one with offensive characteristics? IMO, the type of player that the A side could most use from the B side is the defensive type with a little bit more experience. That is the area where we are a little more shallow. Why not give Simpson time to develop at his own pace rather than rushing him. He is going to be a good one, no doubt, but right now he is playing in college. Plus there are others like Canizales who are also possibilities.

Furthermore. with devos having a yellow card already. who would Yallop turn to should Devos be forced to miss a game or two? McKenna? I have found Mackenna to be quite dependable for Canada but, as an offensive weapon.

Thats why I believe that it needs to be someone like Reda, Gervais or Menezies that is promoted from this B squad. all three are in their mid to late 20's so they are not green. Plus they play regaularly at that that position with their clubs. In the case of Gervais he has a excelled and been recognized among the best in the A-league in that role and Reda ( a solid ex-A-leaguer )has Euro experience. We know what menezies has done, So there is less risk to Yallop in chosing one or more of these three. Plus they add different demensions to the back line than would a combo like Devos/Watson or Devos/Mckenna.

It's a comforting thought however that we are having the problem

Assuming of course the performances against two club teams who are just starting their pre-season are all they are cracked up to be. The only two players in Kingston who didn't play well enough to keep their spot on the team were Watson and Onstad, and the latter isn't going to be replaced, which just leaves Watson and the replacement for the suspended Hume. So I am guessing Menezes and either Occean as another striker or another defender with McKenna pushed up as a striker. I doubt McKenna is going to miss the Guatemala match (not sure if he'll start), why take out our best air-striker against a team that is notorious for not being all that tall?

The only other possibility I could see is Bernier replaced, with Imhof/Bircham moved to the right & Serioux in as a d-mid. But even that is a bit doubtful. Simpson's progress is encouraging and Yallop said he's one of 3 or 4 players he is considering, but I can't see him starting ahead of Brennan (and I realize that it isn't entirely this simple, but it would be starting a PDL player ahead of an EPL player) or Jazic at left back. Good to know that with Simpson & MC2 coming up on the left we will not be resorting to Hastings so quicly if Brennan gets hurt.

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

I'd actually like to see McKenna start up front with Radzinski for the Guatemala game. McKenna does have a nose for he net, as Cheeta said. Canada needs a big man up front for crosses and set pieces, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing Occean into that role for such a big game.

With Hume suspended, they should play DD on the right and Brennan on the left, with De Guzman and Bircham (assuming he's healthy) in the middle.

for the D, Stalteri and Jazic at full back, with De Vos as a lock in the middle. The other CB spot is a big question mark I think. I'm hoping it's not Mark Watson. With the dangerous Ruiz coming at us, I think a quick central defender is needed to snuff him out.

That being said, I think Occean will make the squad, but he should not be in the starting XI

I generally agree with your line up, Joe. With respect to the 2nd CB, one option may be to keep 3 in the back and insert a defensive midfielder or "destroyer" to break up plays or man-mark Ruiz. Imhoff , perhaps?

Go with talent and delivery on the ocassion regardless of age. I think Simpson has established that he meets this criteria. Playing in Europe should not be the be all and end all especially when there is talented Canadians that cannot play in Europe as result of passport issues and our world ranking. The exceptional players seem to be ready at a very young age.

I agree that McKenna would be good forward against Guatemala.

Go with talent and delivery on the ocassion regardless of age. I think Simpson has established that he meets this criteria. Playing in Europe should not be the be all and end all especially when there is talented Canadians that cannot play in Europe as result of passport issues and our world ranking. The exceptional players seem to be ready at a very young age.

I agree that McKenna would be good forward against Guatemala.

Archived