July 16 Women Av's Finale Friday at Foote Park (R)

beachesl

Update

Aviators 2- Denver Cougars 0, goals by Flock and Gjini:D

Av's should get third in Western Conference

Could be last match ever if Av's organization falls through, as today's Sun suggests.:(Let's hope they at least can survive.

The WomAv's should finish third, just out of playoffs. Seattle will meet Vancouver to see who goes to 4 team final in Ottawa in August.

Ottawa Fury have an automatic berth. Montreal Xtreme may make it too, but I think they have to tweak Ottawa out of first place in the Division to advance. ["Eastern Conference: The top regular season team (excluding Ottawa) will receive a bye to the four-team conference playoff, which will also consist of the three division champions. The top two teams in each division will play in the division championship matches."] Ottawa plays in Conference semi's if they win divison any way, and if they win Conference finals the second place from another division would go on.

W-League 2004 Pts GP W L T GF GA W L T GF GA W L T GF GA

Vancouver Whitecaps Women 34 12 11 0 1 42 9 4 0 1 17 4 7 0 0 25 5

Seattle Sounders Women 28 12 9 2 1 37 12 4 1 0 15 3 5 1 1 22 9

Edmonton Aviators Women 20 13 6 5 2 19 16 3 2 1 12 9 3 3 1 7 7

Arizona Heatwave 16 11 5 5 1 21 28 4 2 1 15 16 1 3 0 6 12

Mile High Mustangs 12 11 3 5 3 13 22 3 3 0 7 11 0 2 3 6 11

Denver Lady Cougars 10 10 3 6 1 14 19 3 2 1 12 7 0 4 0 2 12

Calgary Wildfire 6 13 2 11 0 11 38 1 5 0 7 12 1 6 0 4 26

Fort Collins Force 6 10 1 6 3 13 26 0 3 2 7 16 1 3 1 6 10

North Central Division

Ottawa Fury 30 10 10 0 0 55 3 4 0 0 24 1 6 0 0 31 2

Montreal Xtreme 27 11 9 2 0 45 11 4 1 0 21 5 5 1 0 24 6

Rochester Ravens 18 10 6 4 0 22 19 2 3 0 8 12 4 1 0 14 7

Toronto Inferno 9 10 3 7 0 14 21 2 4 0 7 9 1 3 0 7 12

Sudbury Canadians 0 11 0 11 0 12 62 0 6 0 8 31 0 5 0 4 31

Now here's something interesting from the women's schedule on the official USL website. It has Friday's game going on at "Griffiths Stadium-Univ. of Saskatchewan".

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/schedules/index_E.html

I wonder how this mistake was made? I know last year the A_league Whitecaps and Calgary Storm met in Saskatoon. I wonder if this mix-up has sommething to do with a cut-and-paste mixup on the computer from last year's schedule, or whther something may actually have been planned for saskabush this year? Anybody know? Gordon?:?:

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Now here's something interesting from the women's schedule on the official USL website. It has Friday's game going on at "Griffiths Stadium-Univ. of Saskatchewan".

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/schedules/index_E.html

I wonder how this mistake was made? I know last year the A_league Whitecaps and Calgary Storm met in Saskatoon. I wonder if this mix-up has sommething to do with a cut-and-paste mixup on the computer from last year's schedule, or whther something may actually have been planned for saskabush this year? Anybody know? Gordon?:?:

I'll check into it. I've heard nothing aabout it.

Montreal Xtreme may make it too, but I think they have to tweak Ottawa out of first place in the Division to advance. ["Eastern Conference: The top regular season team (excluding Ottawa) will receive a bye to the four-team conference playoff, which will also consist of the three division champions. The top two teams in each division will play in the division championship matches."] Ottawa plays in Conference semi's if they win divison any way, and if they win Conference finals the second place from another division would go on.

I'd like to clear this up. We are preparing a VC media release in which we will highlight the Montreal vs. Ottawa match next week that will decide the WVCE. If that match is critical for Montreal to qualify for the playoffs then we'll throw that in.

But the explanation of the playoff format is confusing. And, beachesl, I'm afraid you've made it worse. I think you are confusing "conference semis" with "W-League semis". Ottawa has a bye to the latter, which means they should bypass the former altogether.

Here is my interpretation of the Eastern Conference playoffs:

(1) best team, after excluding Ottawa, gets a bye to the conference semifinals

(2) top two teams in each division, after excluding Ottawa and the team from (1), playoff for spots in the conference semifinals

Under this interpretation Montreal have already qualified for the playoffs (Toronto can't catch them), and will almost surely play Rochester even though Toronto can mathematically catch Rochester.

Comments?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I'd like to clear this up. We are preparing a VC media release in which we will highlight the Montreal vs. Ottawa match next week that will decide the WVCE. If that match is critical for Montreal to qualify for the playoffs then we'll throw that in.

But the explanation of the playoff format is confusing. And, beachesl, I'm afraid you've made it worse. I think you are confusing "conference semis" with "W-League semis". Ottawa has a bye to the latter, which means they should bypass the former altogether.

Here is my interpretation of the Eastern Conference playoffs:

(1) best team, after excluding Ottawa, gets a bye to the conference semifinals

(2) top two teams in each division, after excluding Ottawa and the team from (1), playoff for spots in the conference semifinals

Under this interpretation Montreal have already qualified for the playoffs (Toronto can't catch them), and will almost surely play Rochester even though Toronto can mathematically catch Rochester.

Comments?

I AM WRONG. YOU ARE RIGHT, except for the part about Ottawa being excluded from the Division semi-finals and getting a bye to the Confernce semi-finals. Ottawa still goes through the whole playoff process, except it can't get the bye to the Conference semis. Sorry, I missed the Division semi process in my post. Ottawa bypasses nothing at all, unless they lose a series!

Well, here is the official USL "explanation" from their website:

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/2004championship/playoffs/78184.html

"Playoff Format

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ottawa Fury receive an automatic berth to the semifinals as host of the W-League Championship tournament. To determine the three conference champions to join the Fury in the semifinals, the three conferences will use the following systems:

Central Conference: A division championship match between the top two teams in each division will determine who plays in the conference championship match.

Eastern Conference: The top regular season team (excluding Ottawa) will receive a bye to the four-team conference playoff, which will also consist of the three division champions. The top two teams in each division will play in the division championship matches.

Western Conference: The top two teams will play for the conference championship. "

------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: Thus, Montreal has clinched a spot in the Division semi-final against Ottawa. If Montreal finishes as the top team in the whole Conference, then the third place team in the North Central Division (Rochester or Toronto) can qualify to play Ottawa as Montreal would have the bye. If not, then Ottawa and Montreal play off for the Division spot in the Conference semi-finals, and the third place team in the divison (Rochester or Toronto) are out of luck. Ottawa still plays in the initial Divison "championship" regardless of what happens. For Montreal to finish first in the Conference, they would have to catch the present "leader", the New Jersey Wildcats, who are three points ahead with a game in hand.

However, it may be better to get confirmation from the League.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Conference

New England Division

Boston Renegades 21 11 7 4 0 44 24 4 1 0 31 5 3 3 0 13 19

Western Mass Lady Pioneers 15 10 5 5 0 22 14 2 4 0 16 10 3 1 0 6 4

New Hampshire Lady Phantoms 6 12 2 10 0 10 37 0 5 0 4 10 2 5 0 6 27

Rhode Island Lady Stingrays 6 12 2 10 0 10 58 0 6 0 4 30 2 4 0 6 28

North Central Division

Ottawa Fury 30 10 10 0 0 55 3 4 0 0 24 1 6 0 0 31 2

Montreal Xtreme 27 11 9 2 0 45 11 4 1 0 21 5 5 1 0 24 6

Rochester Ravens 18 10 6 4 0 22 19 2 3 0 8 12 4 1 0 14 7

Toronto Inferno 9 10 3 7 0 14 21 2 4 0 7 9 1 3 0 7 12

Sudbury Canadians 0 11 0 11 0 12 62 0 6 0 8 31 0 5 0 4 31

Northeast Division

New Jersey Wildcats 30 10 10 0 0 48 4 6 0 0 30 4 4 0 0 18 0

New Jersey Lady Stallions 27 11 9 2 0 38 15 4 1 0 20 7 5 1 0 18 8

Long Island Lady Riders 24 11 8 3 0 32 23 3 2 0 12 10 5 1 0 20 13

New York Magic 6 10 2 8 0 7 32 2 4 0 7 17 0 4 0 0 15

South Jersey Banshees 6 11 2 9 0 12 48 1 4 0 7 21 1 5 0 5 27

If my explanation is correct, it may leave Rochester being in the untenable position of bettering its position by letting Montreal win on July 18 when they play each other, because it would increase the chances of Montreal winning the entire Confernce necessary for there being room in the division playoffs. Hmmmm

We're still not on the same page...

I AM WRONG. YOU ARE RIGHT, except for the part about Ottawa being excluded from the Division semi-finals and getting a bye to the Confernce semi-finals.

First of all, there's no such thing as "division semifinals". In the Eastern Conference there are division finals, conference semifinals, conference final. Then there's W-League semifinals, W-League final.

quote:The Ottawa Fury receive an automatic berth to the semifinals as host of the W-League Championship tournament. To determine the three conference champions to join the Fury in the semifinals, the three conferences will use the following systems
I believe this means Ottawa has an automatic spot in the W-League semifinals (ie. in the final tournament they are hosting). Hence they don't have to participate in any other playoffs.

quote:The top regular season team (excluding Ottawa) will receive a bye to the four-team conference playoff, which will also consist of the three division champions. The top two teams in each division will play in the division championship matches.
You are interpreting "excluding Ottawa" to mean that Ottawa can't get a bye to the conference semifinals. I interpret it to mean that Ottawa is bypassing this entire stage.

Either way, the USL has done a horrible job here (but this is usually the case with all leagues and tournaments).

You are right that I screwed up on using "division semifinals", I meant to say the divisional playoffs.

You may also be right in your interpretation of "excluding Ottawa". You are supported by the following page from usl site:

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/2004championship/playoffs/55882.html

"Eastern Conference

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams Qualified

Seven qualify (excluding Ottawa) - two per division plus top team overall

Conference bye (one):

New England Division (two):

North Central Division (two):

Northeast Division (two): "

---------------------------------------------------------------

The above page has not been complteted, as the positions are not set like in the corresponding page for the Western Conference.

By your interpretaion, not only would Montreal get a bye if they finish ahead of the Conference (or second after Ottawa), then if they did then BOTH Rochester and Toronto would get into the playoffs. If they don't, then one of Rochester and Toronto play Montreal in the Division championship series.

I was told before the season started that the format was set so that Ottawa, at their own request, would go through the entire playoff process because they wanted the chance to become Conference champions, but that information appears to be faulty.

Concerning the Eastern Conference playoff situation, here is a good response from Steve on BigRed:

------------------------------------------------------------------

I contacted the league last month to get a clear explanation to the playoff format.

I recieved a quick response confirming the following:

June 20, 2004

Dear Tammy,

As the season is halfway finished I need to have the Northern playoff structure clarified so I may publish .....

Based on the current standings and the fact that Ottawa gets a bye to the final four and the New Jersey Wildcats have the most points in the conference I have made these assumptions. Please confrm if I am correct.

Round One

Division championship

Boston vs Western Mass.

Montreal vs Rochester

Long Island vs N.J. Stallions

Round Two

Wildcats vs lowest ranked winner (round one)

first ranked winner vs second ranked winner (round two)

Round Three

Winners of round two

This was confirmed along with the fact that Round One will be played July 28 and rounds two and three to be played July 30- Aug 1.

This weekend's action will start to clear up who will be playing at home (a Montreal win vs Rochester will give them home filed in round one).

Assuming the Wildcats continue their undefeated streak the ley match-up will be the Xtreme's last match at Long Island.

One last kick for Aviators?

Tonight's women's home game could be final one in franchise history

By SCOTT ZERR -- Edmonton Sun, 16 July 2004

The women's half of the Edmonton Aviators' franchise could have the dubious honour of playing the final home game in club history. It's something the players don't even want to consider, as they're focused on wrapping up their inaugural W-League campaign on a high note, but it's a dreadful fact they are having to face.

"There is nothing better than the feeling of playing in front of a hometown crowd. It would suck not to be back here next year," said Aviators captain Carey Gustafson, who will lead the club into tonight's finale against the Denver Lady Cougars (7 p.m., Foote Field). An All-Canadian midfielder with the University of Victoria Vikes, Gustafson will return to school for another year of social justice studies but had already made plans to come back for a second year with the Aviators. That may all fall apart for her and her teammates if the franchise's 19 investors choose not to continue operating the club at a meeting on Sunday.

"It's been such a great experience - to do what we love to do and not have to work all summer and be able to fully concentrate on soccer," said Gustafson. "There weren't any role models for me to look up at, but this is something special when these young girls want to be like you. We're getting recognized on the street. It's so heartwarming to be recognized for the hard work we're doing - what we love to do and what we're passionate about."

Striker Kendra Flock will depart for the University of Central Florida early next month, but the Calgary native also intends on coming back if there's still a team to play for. "It's been an awesome experience," said Flock. "The fans at Commonwealth Stadium and in Vancouver ... I've never experienced playing in front of that many people. And the way the team has come together and taken the game to another level has been awesome."

At best, the Aviators (6-5-2) can finish up in third spot in the Western Conference, behind only perennial powerhouses Vancouver and Seattle. They have the makings of a team that could challenge for one of the two playoff spots next season - provided there is one.

"I would hate it if we weren't back," said Flock. "The best part has been proving so many people wrong. As a first-year team, there were people who didn't think we'd do that well and we showed them. Our whole team knows that we should be in the playoffs this year."

While it's at best a long shot that the men's team will survive for another year, a return of the women's squad wouldn't be such a tall tale. The women's team operates at no more than a quarter of the budget of the men's team and could easily move into Clarke Park for their games while drawing league-leading crowds of over 2,000.

Just to make things interesting for the season's last game, the Aviators will try their luck on Foote Field's cement-like artificial turf - a far cry from the near-perfect natural pitch of Commonwealth.

"I was figuring that our girls who played for the U of A Pandas would be accustomed to playing on the turf, but they said they either played on it when it was 35 above or 35 below," laughed Aviators head coach Janine Helland.

FLIGHT PLAN: There's one battle within the Aviators that will be settled tonight as Kendra Flock and Sandy Ash will fight it out for the team's scoring title. Both players have four goals apiece with Ash holding a 9-8 lead in points thanks to a single assist. Aysha Jamani and Monique Gjini both have three goals and Jamani could take over the scoring derby as she's collected seven points in just five games.

One last kick for Aviators?

The women's team operates at no more than a quarter of the budget of the men's team and could easily move into Clarke Park for their games while drawing league-leading crowds of over 2,000.

Uhhhhh....time for a new calculator...??

Fri, May 14 Calgary 0 Vancouver 5 3,194 Swangard Stadium

Sun, May 23 Edmonton 0 Vancouver 2 3,000 (db)Swangard Stadium

Fri, May 28 Seattle 2 Vancouver 2 2,870 Swangard Stadium

Sun, Jun 27 Denver 0 Vancouver 3 3,230 Swangard Stadium

Sat, Jul 3 Arizona 2 Vancouver 5 2,237 Swangard Stadium

PS Thanks to Wavester

Re ticket prices. from Club website:

"With the move from doubleheaders to single games, the Aviators will use the game at Foote Field to introduce their new single game pricing.

Tickets for the game are on sale now at the Aviators ' new single game ticket price of $15 for adults ($11.00 plus $4.00 service charges and taxes) and $11.00 for children aged 6-17 and seniors ($7.00 plus $4.00 service charges and taxes). Children under 6 get in for free.

"

Just a question: the same $4.00 service charge and taxes for little Foote?

Concerning the Eastern Conference playoff situation, here is a good response from Steve on BigRed:

[snip]

Thanks, beachesl, that's precisely what I had in mind. Of course there shouldn't be any need for fans to write to the league to figure out what's going on!

As for the intended topic of this thread, well, I don't really want to talk about it right now... :(

Archived