Jump to content

CPSL Week 9 Results

Recommended Posts

Result of the Tuesday July 13, 2004 CPSL game between North York Astros and St Catharines Roma Wolves played at Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan at 9:00pm.

46 min...Astros Alex Braletic GOAL...Braletic gets through ball up middle and after short run takes low shot into left side of net from 12 yards beyond goaltender.

50 min...Astros Peter Zorbas GOAL...Astros Alex Braletic with ball in RW box has 12 yard shot from left that goalie Claudio Perri stops but rebound bounces out to middle for Zorbas to blast 8 yard shot into net.

52 min...Wolves Carlo Arghittu GOAL...RW Joe Carbonara freekick from right is into box and Arghittu stabs foot forward to redirect ball in from 3 yards to right corner of net.

64 min...Wolves Gary McCuchan GOAL...McCuchan gets to ball in Astros box and 18 yard shot rolls through crowd of players in box and beyond diving goalie Arthur Zaslavski near right post. Carlo Arghittu had done much of the work to get him the ball.

93 min (injury time)...Astros Alex Braletic GOAL...Astros Boris Krimus in middle from 40 yards stutter steps on his run and rolls pass forward to Braletic who dekes goalie and defender to push ball into open net from 7 yards.

94 min...game ends.

Final Score:........North York Astros...........3.............St Catharines Roma Wolves...........2...........

Attendance was about 50 on this warm, very humid evening that brought all the mosquitoes out of the swamp for the second half.

After the scoreless first half, I was prepared for that to be the final score for these evenly matched teams. Wolves manager Armand Difruscio said the Astros goals were all the result of defensive mistakes and tonight their defense looked suspect finding it often difficult to clear the ball from their end.

Alex Braletic had a great game with chances for six goals tonight. He's only 17 years old and originally from Montenegro (once part of Yugoslavia). He played for part of the Astros season last year.

Wolves almost won this at 79 minutes when they had a goal called back for offside. A Wolves player off to the side of the left post touched the ball on a shot bound for the net but leaving it alone and therefore not being part of the play wouldn't have drawn the referee's assistant's flag.

The fear that this late starting game could not be completed by 11:00pm when the stadium lights were supposedly timed to cut off was not realized as they were still on well after the game. This was probably a rumour started by a groundskeeper at the beginning of the year to hurry the crowd out of the stands so he could lock the door and head home.

Rocket Robin


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...