Canada B vs Hearts match thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad game tonight. Hearts did hold possession for long stretches of the game, but really didn't threaten often. Canada definately created more and better scoring chances. 1-1 was a fair result.

Occean looks like a good prospect for the future. He's a physical presence out there and has a nice touch as well. He troubled the Hearts defence in the first half, and forced them to cover him a lot tighter in the second. This took him out of the game, but opened up lots of space for the rest of the team.

Simpson was my man of the match. Great one-on-one player. He consistently beat his man to start an attack. Almost all of Canada's attacks were coming down the left because he and Occean played on that side. This was in contrast to the right side of Canada's attack where Merk and Lemire were unable to make any headway. This didn't change until Valente and De Serpa came in.

De Serpa impressed me with skill and lightening-quick turns. Turned his defender and served a great ball in the box that should've resulted in a goal for Valente. I hope this guy gets lots of playing time for his club this season because he has loads of potential. Looking forward to seeing him play more minutes against Millwall.

Thanks for the reports, guys. Putting a little light on a match which would have otherwise been well hidden.

Very glad to hear Mr. Menezes is back wearing a Canada kit again. He's travelled a long way and the efforts are appreciated by all I'm sure. Would have been happier to hear he dominated the pitch and was an unmistakeable general in the back field but it's been a while. Baby steps, Tony. Baby steps.

Very glad to hear Occean is continuing to come along nicely. Maybe next year he'll cut the 1st team roster. At who's expence I don't know, but competition is always good. And I think the big lads are going to give all of CONCACAF fits if they get a little midfield support. That and Radz. rocketing down field.

Bloody Simpson! You know how some players just seem to get the touch when you need it? Is this man looking like one of those or what? That sort of witchcraft you're born with. You can't buy it.

Sounds like the match was pretty poorly promoted but I don't know how mutch difference it would have made really. Canada's B squad with a couple of days training together against a Hearts side who've flown half way around the planet days earlier and are probably into their 1st week together after the summer break. Talk about trying to sell a match on names only. Pretty hard to do unless those names are Celtic or ManU.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I've seen at least two men with the Pil logo tattooed on their body. It's a good 'Sask beer', but it's no Bohemian. Boh is thee crap Sask beer.

Damn I should finish work and start drinking. I think there's some Pil tall boys with my name on them.

cheers,

matthew

You guys should come to belgium....wher eu can drink WHILE you work!

I remember how, shortly after I married my wife, we went to go to visit Belgium where all her family are. We would meet various cousins in Brussells on their luch breaks and none of them thought twice about pounding back several beer and a couple of glasses of wine.

Upate on the Hearts Fans a majority of them were local and as K-man pointed one dude did 90% of the noise for the Jambos and even tried to stir it up with the Southsiders. I did see this same Hearts fan gooned on Swangards finest ...yet expensive brew ..singing by Kingsway the hearts theme song all by his lonesome .... lets hope he got home alright.

Wonder what Millwall will bring out ?

quote:Sounds like the match was pretty poorly promoted but I don't know how mutch difference it would have made really.

It would have made a hell of a lot of difference. That crowd was half the size of the crowds we get out to see bottom feeder A-League teams and was even smaller than the Whitecaps women usually get against such powerhouse teams as the Knob Hill Daisies, or whatever such teams play in the W-League.

It was a good night for soccer, it was a slow sporting night in general and with a little bit of promotion the crowd could have at least been doubled. Printing up small posters and asking shop keepers to put them up in their windows is hardly promotion.

In addition they could have promoted the Canadian aspect of the game. The poster they have make it seem like Canada is the extra baggage in this series of games, cleary mentioning that the "showcase game" is Hearts vs Milwall, as if the Canadian team is just rubbish.

Oh, and last night the music that they played pre-game and halftime? Scottish.

Another thing that I really didn't notice but has been pointed out on the Southside board is the tickets. "Heart of Midlothian" is printed in a bold large font at the top of the ticket then below in a tiny little font is "versus Canada". Not suprising since Canada were forced to wear their road jerseys but really, could the BC Soccer Association have belittled Canada any more?

I know I'm going to come of as a complainer (who me?) but these things get on my nerves.

Archived