Mitchell Announces U-20 Roster for Florida Camp

Jarrek

I will pass on the message however im sure that Julian will be reading the post as he was the one who informed me of it and where he had heard of these rumours,. however I think you're right he should give him a call in the near future or viceversa. As im sure there is a big misunderstanding about playing for Canada> He was upset with the CSA realeases and comments they made about him not going to Turkey are simply not true and may have not been noticed by the "Mister" of Canada. He will be back in Italy with me on August 17th and I will inform him of these post at that time as I dont expect to reach him till he comes back.

After reading about the disturbing press release from the CSA, I decided to have a look for myself..here is the quote -

"Toronto’s Julian Uccello (AC Milan) was invited to attend the training camp but has decided to remain in Italy with his club."

This is what you and Julian are so upset about? If Julian is going to be a professional footballer I suggest he thicken his skin a bit. What is factually incorrect about that statement? Julian had commitments to his club and decided to stay in Italy. Done.

quote:Originally posted by backstick

After reading about the disturbing press release from the CSA, I decided to have a look for myself..here is the quote -

"Toronto’s Julian Uccello (AC Milan) was invited to attend the training camp but has decided to remain in Italy with his club."

This is what you and Julian are so upset about? If Julian is going to be a professional footballer I suggest he thicken his skin a bit. What is factually incorrect about that statement? Julian had commitments to his club and decided to stay in Italy. Done.

I wasn't sure what the fuss was all about and figured I must have missed something. If this is all that was said, then you are totally correct. I certainly see nothing wrong with the way it was worded and in no way insinuates anything negative in regards to Uccello.

Guest Jeffery S.

I can only imagine that Uccelo felt he had not been invited with enough lead time, so the invitation was perhaps "unfair". Did we read he was called two days before or something, or have I confused that? Obviously if he was invited with very short notice there is no chance at all of even talking seriously to your club and requesting a leave. But if you get a week or ten days at least you can give it a chance, talk to coaches, would not necessarily be said to have opted for club over Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I can only imagine that Uccelo felt he had not been invited with enough lead time, so the invitation was perhaps "unfair". Did we read he was called two days before or something, or have I confused that? Obviously if he was invited with very short notice there is no chance at all of even talking seriously to your club and requesting a leave. But if you get a week or ten days at least you can give it a chance, talk to coaches, would not necessarily be said to have opted for club over Canada.

You can speculate over what transpired, but the fact is that he did opt for club over country. The CSA was factually correct.

Perhaps another player opted out late or was injured, so they decided to ask Uccello (sounds very reasonable) ? I would rather they ask another player late for the sake of opportunity and development, than let a spot go to waste fearing they may have offended him for not asking with enough time in advance. Late additions are not only common, they are (unfortunetly) the norm, so I don't think you can say that the request "wasn't serious." It may not have been ideal, but often those are the cards dealt.

I don't recall any Canadian fans taking this in a negative light. There often comes a time when players opt for club over country for many different reasons, particularly exhibition matches.

Backstick is correct and hopefully Alberto tells Uccello to chill.

Jeffrey S. yes you are correct in that it was unfair with 48 hours notice. The words were poorly chosen in my opinion the statement should have read that Julian had to decline because of the short notice but not because of he wanted to remain with his club as implicated in Quotes as they do in the report. He did not say that to the Mister of Canada... I was with him at the time of the call..Unless my english is not proper that's is the way I understand the Quote! It could have been done in better taste for a player of that caliber specially since he still has not attended any camps of the U17 and now the U20 ... which is fine he'll as WINNEPEG FURY suggested "thicken his skin a bit". after all he is only 17.

quote:Originally posted by kclee

I meant to type 'no'. After what Julian went through it is easy to see why his younger brother is focusing on becoming a professional first. He is where current National youth players want to end up.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Jeffrey S. yes you are correct in that it was unfair with 48 hours notice. The words were poorly chosen in my opinion the statement should have read that Julian had to decline because of the short notice but not because of he wanted to remain with his club as implicated in Quotes as they do in the report. He did not say that to the Mister of Canada... I was with him at the time of the call..Unless my english is not proper that's is the way I understand the Quote! It could have been done in better taste for a player of that caliber specially since he still has not attended any camps of the U17 and now the U20 ... which is fine he'll as WINNEPEG FURY suggested "thicken his skin a bit". after all he is only 17.

Eh Alberto, the reports from the CSA never state that a player did not attend, for this reason or that reason. He chose not to go and that's fine. He's not the first and won't be the last. No Canuck fans were trashing him for his decision, nor did we get the impression from the CSA report that he had turned his back on Canada. He's a youth team player trying to break into the big's and sometimes those decisions need to be made. I wish him all the best.

But to state the report "should have been in better taste because of his calibre," is complete rubbish. He should be treated no differently than any other other Canadian international and the way the report reads, that's exactly how he was treated.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

You can speculate over what transpired, but the fact is that he did opt for club over country. The CSA was factually correct.

Perhaps another player opted out late or was injured, so they decided to ask Uccello (sounds very reasonable) ? I would rather they ask another player late for the sake of opportunity and development, than let a spot go to waste fearing they may have offended him for not asking with enough time in advance. Late additions are not only common, they are (unfortunetly) the norm, so I don't think you can say that the request "wasn't serious." It may not have been ideal, but often those are the cards dealt.

I don't recall any Canadian fans taking this in a negative light. There often comes a time when players opt for club over country for many different reasons, particularly exhibition matches.

Backstick is correct and hopefully Alberto tells Uccello to chill.

You can speculate over what transpired, but the fact is that he did opt for club over country. The CSA was factually correct

That is not true he did not say that at all I was there with him when talking to him.

You talk about development develope what? He has never been formally invited to any camps of the U17 and now the u20, and If not mistaken not even on the NTC so you call that development! He is in Italy playing and training hard to become a professional, Because nothing is offered there in canada for him!.

He should not be treated any differnet then any one else and your right he is trying to break the youth and it is very diffcult but whne a players knows he can help any team and never be ask it hursts too so enoght said on this topic i know yo wish him well and thats great and so do i any hope one day he will show both of us how good of a player he really is what a mistake this all is....

Alright Alberto, I'm going to stop the posting as this appears to be antagonizing you and you aren't doing Uccello any favours by slagging Canadian soccer.

Not to sound condescending, but I can't help but wonder if you are mis-reading this a bit , as your English/writing is a bit confusing.

"You say that he did not opt to stay with his club over playing for Canada" ? Now you are completely confusing me ? He didn't play with Canada, and did opt to remain with his club ? We aren't discussing the reason, just the fact (justified or not) that he didn't show for Canada. If he didn't opt to stay with his club, then what happened ?

It appears you responded to my post by editing your post (last paragraph, for those confused).

I have no problem with him concentrating on his professional career. Most never make it beyond youth, so I understand the challenge.

Yes, of course we all wish him well. I have known many national team/professional players and it is a very long road, with high high's and low low's. Just tell him to be patient and keep the lines of communication open. It will fall into place.

We are cheering for him in Italy and looking forward to the day that he can wear a Canadian jersey on the field.

Archived