Mitchell Announces U-20 Roster for Florida Camp

Jarrek

Congrats to Petro Czoli!!!

Mitchell Announces 18-Player Roster for Florida Training Camp

Ottawa, Ontario – Men’s Youth (U-20) Team Head Coach Dale Mitchell today announced an 18-player roster for a training camp in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from July 16-27, 2004.

The team will play three scrimmages while training in Florida; two against Jamaica and one against Haiti.

"These two CONCACAF rivals will provide good competition for this group of players as we build towards selecting the next U20 squad,” said Mitchell. “With qualifying now scheduled for Honduras in January, it is important that players perform in these matches because we will likely be facing one of these teams in our section.”

Nikolas Ledgerwood (Lethbridge, AB), Thomas Lindley (Tatallon, NS), and Joshua Wagenaar (Grimsby, ON) will return to the U-20 roster. All three players were on the team that reached the quarter-finals of the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championships after losing an extra time heartbreaker 2:1 to eventual finalists Spain in the United Arab Emirates on December 12, 2003.

European players who have been added to Mitchell’s roster are Graham Ramalho (Calgary, Alberta) of FC Groningen (Netherlands) and Jeremy Shepherd (Mississauga, ON) of Hertha Berlin (Germany).

Petro Czoli and Carlo Rivas of Toronto, Ontario who play for Mexico’s CD Cruz Azul AC have also been included on the roster.

Tomasz Charowski (Greenville, SC) is the other new addition to the selection. In September, the highly touted midfielder will be entering his freshman year at Duke University in the United States.

Canada will be looking to qualify for their third consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship when they compete in Group B of CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualifying from January 26-30, 2005 with host Honduras, Mexico and CFU Series 2 Winner. The top two teams in each group will qualify for the 2005 FIFA World Youth (U-20) Championships in the Netherlands.

Game Schedule

Date Time Venue Game

July 20, 2004 6:00 p.m. Sunrise Hilton Canada vs. Jamaica

July 22, 2004 6:00 p.m. Sunrise Hilton Canada vs. Jamaica

July 25, 2004 6:00 p.m. Sunrise Hilton Canada vs. Haiti

Roster

# Pos. Name Club Caps G/S DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 4 0 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D RAMALHO, Graham FC Groningen (Netherlands) 0 0 12-Jan-86 Calgary AB

3 D CZOLI, Petro CD Cruz Azul AC (Mexico) 0 0 10-Oct-86 Toronto ON

4 D KASSAYE, Simon Edmonton Aviators (A-League) 5 0 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

5 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact (A-League) 1 0 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

6 M LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 6 0 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

7 M SCHIAVONI, Carlo L'Aguila Calcio (Italy) 2 0 19-Aug-85 Lachine QC

8 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 2 0 06-Dec-85 Calgary AB

9 F SHEPHERD, Jeremy Hertha Berlin (Germany) 0 0 08-Apr-85 Mississauga ON

10 F LALLI, Franco US Lucera Calcio (Italy) 3 0 11-Mar-85 Woodbridge ON

11 F HUGHES, Dylan Kaiserslautern (Germany) 5 3 23-Jan-85 N. Vancouver BC

12 M PETERS, Jaime Kaiserslautern (Germany) 2 0 04-May-87 Pickering ON

13 M DE JONG, Marcel Helmond Sport (Netherlands) 2 0 15-Oct-86 Toronto ON

14 M CHAROWSKI, Tomasz Duke University (NCAA) 0 0 15-Oct-85 Greenville SC

15 M KELLY, Patrick Alberta - NTC 0 0 07-May-86 Cochrane AB

16 M RIVAS, Carlo CD Cruz Azul AC (Mexico) 0 0 03-Sep-85 Toronto ON

17 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 2 0 09-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

22 GK LINDLEY, Thomas Sheffield United FC (England) 3 0 24-Jan-85 Tatallon NS

Staff

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

LAARABI, Djamel Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Interesting news. Isn't that one of the top Mexican clubs?

In terms of jersey counts on the streets of Mexico when I was down there last year, THE most popular club in the country.

Does anyone know if the clubs there have reserve or youth teams in alternate leagues like much of Europe?

The only omissions I can see our Edgar (newcastle) and Cam Wilson up front. Also, noticed that Marcel De Jong is no longer at PSV Eindhoven but at Helmond Sport which is definitely a step down. Patrick Kelly is back in the side after being injured for the last U-17s. No Myles Davis either.

Interesting that Shepherd is still listed at Hertha Berlin.

Petro (Peter) plays for the Cruz Azul youth team and he's one of their best players. The only hinderance is that there are some legal issues preventing him from playing for the main squad (and reserves). Petro was born in Canada and is of Ukrainian heritage. His father lived in Argentina for some time and he probably picked up his Spanish from his dad. His hometown should be listed as Mississauga as his family has lived there for a while now.

I'm going to contact Petro within the next few months and ask him about his prospects for the future.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Also, noticed that Marcel De Jong is no longer at PSV Eindhoven but at Helmond Sport which is definitely a step down.

Odds are that he is playing in a lower division, but is now playing first team ball. If that is the case, it's not as bad as it sounds.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Also, noticed that Marcel De Jong is no longer at PSV Eindhoven but at Helmond Sport which is definitely a step down.

Also noted that. Helmond Sport is in the 2nd tier, so not such a big step down if it means he actually gets first team playing time.

Given De Jong's age (17 still), I would be inclined to think (but don't know) that this is a loan deal to get him playing time. If this is the case, it is only a step in his development and a vote of confidence.

I can't imagine Hiddink giving up on a 17 year old kid that was listed on PSV's UEFA roster last year. If he was 20 or 21, it would be a different story. And as far as I can tell, there is no mention on Helmond's website of De Jong's acquisition and you would think that would be news if he was pegged as a starter. The economics don't add up.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Also noted that. Helmond Sport is in the 2nd tier, so not such a big step down if it means he actually gets first team playing time.

Notable omissions from my records:

Davis, Britner, Rosenlund, Li, Wilson, Castrillon, Uccello, Drummond, Edgar & Deguzman.

Nice to see Patrick Kelly back. I remember Ed talking him up awhile back, after he was injured prior to the last U17s.

Hey guys, I've played with Petro for a few years now. He played his youth soccer at Oakville 1986 boys, one of the strongest teams in Canada. He's a got an outstanding left foot, but his pace is very poor and he endurance isn't very high either. He was a winger, but played also in the midfield and as a striker. Petro is an attacking player, with a great shot which he uses frequently outside of the 18. He was actually cut from Oakville a two years ago, because he committed to the Ontario team instead. Weird. :) I spoke to him only 5 months ago in Toronto, and he was telling me he was off to Mexico, I haven't spoken to him since. I'm sure he's doing well there. Any information you guys want on any players in the 1986, 1987 years range, just let me know :) I've played with most of the top players.

Uccello is a big omission in my opinion. I forgot about him but was hoping that he would turn out at the next camp after turning us down for the Turkey visit.

Agreed on De Jong. If its a loan deal to get him first team football that would definitely be to his benefit.

I know that Uccello flew back to Toronto, and from my last communications with Julian he was in Florida. It too bad they did not ask im sure that he would have gone now that he is available, but I would like to clear up and remind everyone on this forum that he did not refuse to go to Turkey Camp! He had other committments to his team which was impossible for him to leave at that time on a short notice by the CSA, 48 hours is not fair to any player to reply and give notice if they could attend! Im sure there must be a misunderstanding. Julian will fly the ends of the world to play Football for any who ask of it. However he has read and is aware of these discussions and the CSA media news releases and is very disappointed that they even suggest it. He knows he could have helped the U17 to Qualify to the next round as he knows can help the U20 as well. But thats Football! He will continue his efforts to work hard playing with Milan for the 2005/2006 season and improve his ranks in the Calcio Mercato next season being his second year, while waiting for the next call if needed.

quote:Originally posted by jogesc2

I noticed they didn't have a club beside Pat Kelly. I'm pretty sure he's playing with the National Champion Calgary Callies. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Patrick Kelly plays his club soccer with Calgary Foothills U-18 and also men's with Callies. He's signed on their Premier squad (AMSL Reserve) and has played with the first team once or twice.

Hey, and no Lombardo to be seen anywhere. Mind you, he is still quite young.

I'd love to see DeGuzmann-the-Younger playing on this squad. Nice to see so many of these kids playing in Europe already. Would love to see the rest of our Euro-based players get a shot, too. Yes, I was hoping to see Rosenlund selected, too. I don't doubt, however, that Mitchell is picking a very good team.

If Lombardo has just signed for Atalanta & is about to join his new team, this probably isn't the best time to remove him from his club.

That is if he was to be selected in any event - with Shepherd, Lalli & Hughes there is already three older strikers with European experience ahead of him, and I believe Lombardo is young enough to be eligible for the 2007 tourney (the one we should be hosting).

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

I know that Uccello flew back to Toronto, and from my last communications with Julian he was in Florida. It too bad they did not ask im sure that he would have gone now that he is available, but I would like to clear up and remind everyone on this forum that he did not refuse to go to Turkey Camp! He had other committments to his team which was impossible for him to leave at that time on a short notice by the CSA, 48 hours is not fair to any player to reply and give notice if they could attend! Im sure there must be a misunderstanding. Julian will fly the ends of the world to play Football for any who ask of it. However he has read and is aware of these discussions and the CSA media news releases and is very disappointed that they even suggest it. He knows he could have helped the U17 to Qualify to the next round as he knows can help the U20 as well. But thats Football! He will continue his efforts to work hard playing with Milan for the 2005/2006 season and improve his ranks in the Calcio Mercato next season being his second year, while waiting for the next call if needed.

Hope what you say is true. because on another thread someone said they spoke to Julian and he said that playing for Canada was not his priority at the moment and later on he will decide if to play for Canada or Italy???? Recently in Ontario I heard that Julian was going to be invited to the U17 but he had just left for trial in Italy so he could not be invited at the time. This is why all this speculation is always dangerous. Maybe Julian should take the time, now he is at home to contact Mr. Mitchell and express his interest in playing for the team. Good luck Julian

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Notable omissions from my records:

Davis, Britner, Rosenlund, Li, Wilson, Castrillon, Uccello, Drummond, Edgar & Deguzman.

Nice to see Patrick Kelly back. I remember Ed talking him up awhile back, after he was injured prior to the last U17s.

Yes. Lets wish him a speedy recoveryterday I heard Brittner is badly injured and will be out for months

Archived