Jump to content

World Cup of Hockey Conflict - Sep. 8 (+ maybe 4)


sstackho

Recommended Posts

argh. The World Cup of Hockey quarterfinals (to which I have a ticket) in Toronto on Sept. 8 conflict with the Costa Rica away game. :(

I believe the tournament format is that the Toronto quarterfinal match will feature Canada. Could this mean that Sportsnet doesn't even bother showing the Costa Rica game and trying to compete with the CBC that night?

There is also a conflict on Sept. 4 (Canada v Russia V Canada v Honduras) , but I can't find match times...

[V]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Could this mean that Sportsnet doesn't even bother showing the Costa Rica game and trying to compete with the CBC that night?

If CBC has the rights to the World Cup of Hockey game, what kind of programming would Sportsnet put up trying to compete with the hockey game?

I know that if they will put the CS - Canada match I will watch that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I believe the tournament format is that the Toronto quarterfinal match will feature Canada. Could this mean that Sportsnet doesn't even bother showing the Costa Rica game and trying to compete with the CBC that night?

There is also a conflict on Sept. 4 (Canada v Russia V Canada v Honduras) , but I can't find match times...

[V]

If Sportsnet doesn't bother competing with CBC then it would be pretty sad. That Canada x Russia game is nothing more than a friendly. I mean, what a joke this format is for the WC of Hockey! As if its not bad enuf that every team advances to the quarterfinals, they have to "fix" the QF matches so that Canada and the US play at home. Wouldn't want anyone to have some incentive for finishing high in their group, would we? Am I the only one who thinks the NHL and MLS are run by the same clowns?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both the Gold Cup and the World Cup of hockey serve good purposes, coming in off years and giving fans and teams a chance to get together for some A level competition. Do you guys honestly think the WC of hockey is a joke? I mean, if you don't like hockey then fair enough, but it is a top level tournament that provided a lot of excitement the last time around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The World Cup of hockey is a total joke. If the tournament actually had any importance, they would run it on a constant schedule (ie, every 4 years). It's just one massive cash grab by the NHL and the NHLPA, probably to help line their coffers before the looming strike.

Fans should boycott this event unless there is a labour agreement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the thing that really makes the World Cup of hockey a joke is the fact that the teams are appointed and don't have to qualify. If every nation with a IIHF recognized federation was allowed to take place in a qualification set-up, then I'd think it would be more respectable.

The BIG-7 of Hockey (Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and the US) would probably qualify anyway, but having Germany instead of Switzerland, Latvia or Belarus???

This can be easily explained by the fact that the German city of Cologne is one of the 4 European host cities, and surprise, surprise, it also largest seating capacity (18,500) of the European arenas. The cash-grab greed of this whole thing does truly smell. Personally I think it would've been better for Switzerland instead of Germany to be in the tournament. Switzerland is more competitive than Germany thanks to the fact that for years their Federation and coaching has been run by Canadians. Zurich, Davos, Basel or Geneva would've been just as good as Cologne as a host. Hockey is really popular in Switzerland, a lot more so than Germany.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Both the Gold Cup and the World Cup of hockey serve good purposes, coming in off years and giving fans and teams a chance to get together for some A level competition. Do you guys honestly think the WC of hockey is a joke? I mean, if you don't like hockey then fair enough, but it is a top level tournament that provided a lot of excitement the last time around.

I like hockey. Played it for many more years competetively than I did soccer. However it's not even an annual tournament. The NHL hold its whenever they feel like it. devioustrevor makes all of the important point, so I won't repeat them.

If they want it to be a serious world cup then host it like a world cup in one country. Also isn't there a new rule, demanded by the Canadian contingent that each team must have 2 or 3 players under 23 or some such thing? If it's a full national tournament send the best players regardless of age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind the hosting format that takes place, having just one nation hold the WC of Hockey sounds all nice and good. But there are fewer than 15 nations that could host a succesful WC of Hockey. Hockey isn't popular enough worldwide to allow the WC to be hosted many places.

-Canada

-USA

-Russia

-Sweden

-Finland

-Czech Republic

-Slovakia

-Germany

-Switzerland

-Japan

-France

-China

-Austria

These are the nations I think could probably host a succesful World Cup of Hockey. Norway may be able to since they built sufficient Arena for Lillehammer and there may perhaps be a suitable Arena in Oslo also. Hockey also enjoys some popularity in Northern Italy and, from what I've read, parts of Spain. Britain too may be able to host a succesful WC of Hockey, they have a Pro League that is somewhat succesful so there perhaps are the venues to host a WC of Hockey there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Krammerhead: yea that rule was in place at first but then they scrapped it well before the rosters were announced. This really would have been a stupid rule as Canada would have gotten a major advantage from it.

devioustrevor: I pretty much agree with your idea of having it in one country...The whole idea of having a european pool playing in europe, and a northamerican pool (with 2 europeans teams in it) playin in Canada and the states. For pete's sake call them pool a and pool b....and like u said, play all the game sin 1 host country.......lets say....every 4 years. during odd years in between olympis years (2005, 2009, etc...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

I don't mind the hosting format that takes place, having just one nation hold the WC of Hockey sounds all nice and good. But there are fewer than 15 nations that could host a succesful WC of Hockey. Hockey isn't popular enough worldwide to allow the WC to be hosted many places.

-Canada

-USA

-Russia

-Sweden

-Finland

-Czech Republic

-Slovakia

-Germany

-Switzerland

-Japan

-France

-China

-Austria

These are the nations I think could probably host a succesful World Cup of Hockey. Norway may be able to since they built sufficient Arena for Lillehammer and there may perhaps be a suitable Arena in Oslo also. Hockey also enjoys some popularity in Northern Italy and, from what I've read, parts of Spain. Britain too may be able to host a succesful WC of Hockey, they have a Pro League that is somewhat succesful so there perhaps are the venues to host a WC of Hockey there.

Thats enough nations able to hold the cup.

Speaking of Britain, I remember a couple of seasons ago, one Saturday night, a big deal being made about a game in Manchester outdrawing all games played in the NHL that night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's nothing "World" about this hockey tournament. It's just the good old Canada Cup, with an image makeover to attract Euros and American fans (and we all now see what trying that has done to the perhaps former NHL).

You can't have a World Cup be an invitation only tournament. (Someone asked why Germany is there and it is because those 8 teams all have competed in the Canada Cup if you count Slovakia with Czechoslovakia.)

The only way to bring the lower teams up to the level of higher teams is top level competition. That is why the Rugby World Cup was so cool, because there was a qualifying round, and the WORLD was represented in the final tournament. No one was embarrased and there was a very positive spirit. I saw the World Junior tourney when it was in Red Deer a few years back and the Most Valuable Goalie was a kid from the Ukraine who gave up about 50 goals, but had a good save %. When he was named, there was a bit of disappointment that the winning Canadian goalie didn't get it, but then the place went bananas in appreciation of his effort under harsh circimstances. That's what sports is about, not a bunch of ****ing millionaires sucking their own cocks (that's baseball).

It is ludicrous to have a World Cup and not allow significant hockey nations like Switzerland, Ukraine, Latvia a chance to even qualify, and to not use it as a tool to inspire top class hockey in developing areas. Sure the African champs would get massacred by Finland, but they would go home a better team, and then every team that plays them gets better and so on...

Don't forget what a dysfunctional organization the IIHF has been in the past. Canada quit at one point and as I recall the Canada Cup was one of the demands made by us before we were willing to participate in IIHF tourneys again. (screw you guys... we're going home)

I'll rant about the Gold Cup some other time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

You can't have a World Cup be an invitation only tournament. (Someone asked why Germany is there and it is because those 8 teams all have competed in the Canada Cup if you count Slovakia with Czechoslovakia.)

I seem to recall there being only 6 countries competing in the Canada Cups!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

The World Cup of Hockey is the stupidest tournament ever (next to the Gold Cup). They should take thier lead from rugby.

I think there's a bit too many countries in the rugby world cup, though. They should cut it back to 16.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

The World Cup of Hockey is the stupidest tournament ever (next to the Gold Cup). They should take thier lead from rugby.

I think there's a bit too many countries in the rugby world cup, though. They should cut it back to 16.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Sure the African champs would get massacred by Finland, but they would go home a better team, and then every team that plays them gets better and so on...

Unless I'm mistaken, South Africa is the only African country that has a National Team playing Ice Hockey. The IIHF rankings have South Africa ranked 38th, right between North Korea and Iceland. If you are interested in roughly how bad that makes them, take note of this little (and rather scary) tidbit of information; both France and Italy are ranked in the Top-20 in the IIHF rankings.[xx(]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...