Yallop announces roster for development camp

Jarrek

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the obsession with Menezes?

What has he done for us besides dissapear, and show what seems to be a complete lack of interest in the national team?

He is a marginal player that we can get by without. Let's get some players that are committed.

re: Menezes

I don't know about that. Tony had been a very reliable player until moving to China and getting in a spat with Holger for being benched during the Germany game.

I don't know if he has progressed over there but his passing skills, upfield vision and ability to play as a true sweeper (read: good compliment to DeVos) would be very important to us.

With most upcoming games played on the left coast, his travel wouldn't be any worse that the Euro guys - not to mention Jazic. Unless if he has "lost it", since mobing to CHina, I am excited to see him back.

My wildcard pick of the roster is Dunfield. Something tells me that he might be the skilled two-way type of player that Yallop favours and that his past glory (England Youth & Man City) will start to show as he gets used to senior football.

Reports at the end of last season seem to indicate that he was on a tear and headed for bigger things.

...or I could be wrong:)

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Why the obsession with Menezes?

What has he done for us besides dissapear, and show what seems to be a complete lack of interest in the national team?

He is a marginal player that we can get by without. Let's get some players that are committed.

What Menezes has done for us: play a crucial role in our back line in both the 2000 and 2002 Gold Cups (in which we won gold and bronze medals respectively).

After the 2002 Gold Cup he went to China. After that, Holger only called him up to the 2003 friendlies against the USA and Germany (and the only one Menezes played in was the USA friendly.) My understanding was that Menezes didn't get to play against Germany because he was out of shape (the Chinese season had been delayed because of SARS, so Tony hadn't had a match in months at that point in time.) This is the first I'm hearing about a spat with Holger but, then, he wouldn't have been the first.

The fact is that we haven't found a suitable defence partner for DeVos since Menezes fell out of the picture. First there was Paul Fenwick, who very few of the fans thought was up to the job (I thought Fenwick was okay, myself, but a definite step down from Menezes); now we have Watson, who was quite good a few years ago but is now clearly past it. That's why so many people here have been clamouring to see Marco Reda or someone else get a shot. I'm all for giving Reda and those others guys a shot too, but Menezes/DeVos is the best central defence partnership we've had in years and, if Menezes still has his game, he should be in there against Guatemala instead of Watson.

A back line of Stalteri-Menezes-DeVos-Jazic is the best we could put out, IMHO.

That is, of course, if Menezes is not the player he was 3 years ago. I guess that's what Yallop is going to have to figure out, and I am glad that Yallop is giving Tony the opportunity this upcoming week.

Wasn't it 5 or so years ago that we struggled to find 18 players competent enough to be called Canadian National Teamers?

Now we are surprised at omissions from the 'B' team!

Someone mentioned Detullio's absence earlier. He has a torn ACL and is out for a while.

I noticed the Norwegian Premier is off this week, but the First Division still plays. Could explain the presence of Occean and Reda, and the absence of Friend, Kojic and Pozniak.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I noticed the Norwegian Premier is off this week, but the First Division still plays. Could explain the presence of Occean and Reda, and the absence of Friend, Kojic and Pozniak.

Thanks for noticing this and pointing it out - that's got to be the reason for the omissions.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Oh, and PEI does indeed count, and very much. So would the Yukon. Both lovely places. As is Sask, though I have never been to the Toon; oddly enough I know of a small but active Catalan colony there, actually had a neighbour here in Barcelona who was married to a guy from there (banjo playing drunkard must be said).

Oddly enough, the neighbours of our best friends in Saskatoon fit the (gender) scenario you outline. She is from Barcelona and He from Saskatoon. They spend six months in each Community (clever people, they choose Barca in the winter). He is a sculptor of some local renown, and apparently teaches a bit when he is in Spain. I don't know if he plays the Banjo, and have never seen him drunk.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

what sort of league is the chinese 2nd div? any know what its comparable to in europe?

I think it is hard to say. As for a couple of years to consolidate the Jia-A or now Super League they have no promo-releg it is indeed possible that some clubs in Jia-B are good enough to be up higher but have not had the pleasure to be promoted. The stadiums are certainly large enough. I see some interesting players from Europe in line-ups, like Nicolas Ouedec, who played for Espanyol in Barcelona and Montpelier in France, perhaps even had a few national team games for France. You'll recall that Gascoigne's adventure there was with a team in the same division as Tony's.

Menezes was at Botafogo through 2000, did not get paid, ended up not playing when a new coach came in, though was part of an Asian tour late that year, mostly with their subs. I think he might have made his contacts then. Got loaned out in 2001 in the Brazilian league, late part of the season. Then went to China for the 2002 season to play in Jia-B, word was that it paid quite well, and there was another Brazilian on his team, so perhaps his agent had the contacts. Just off forget the name, though last year he was at Nanjing Yoyo, who were lower table. This club looks a bit better as they are in the upper mid of the table.

Its great to see Menezes back, as well as Frank trying to add to our defensive depth. The one question I have though is about Kenny Stamatopolous.

Simply, is he still part of Yallops set up or is he out of the picture? Although seeing Zagar and Sutton called up is a step in the right direction, I would like to have seen Stamatopolous get the call too. Any thoughts?

I attended the practise this afternoon at SFU.One particular player caught my eye.I asked one of the staff(equipment manager perhaps)who he was and he said he wasn't sure as there are many new players in camp.Anyway,I found out that it was Kevin De Serpa.Deadly quick and accurate with his passing during the 3 touch 5 aside scrimage.Also was scoring almost at will during shooting drills.He was part of the 5 aside team that included Terry Dunfield,Tyler Hughs,and Josh Simpson.Maybe it was the young legs or the fact that they are trying harder to get noticed but they were decidedly more crisp against a team that included Menezes,Reda,Serioux,and Lemire.

Lemire was another standout,however in the finishing drills.

I wasn't sure who Jamie Peters was until I heard Yallop call his name.I've never seen him before but he didn't impress as much as De Serpa,Dunfield,Simpson and Hughs.He's a bit on the short and stocky side.In fact many of the skill guys are very short.

I have to say that Menezes is not going to win a spot on the A team with the workout he had today.He was trying hard but his timing was off.His passing was not good and he trouble with the younger quicker guys.I really want him to do well and I know many of you do too.Hopefully he'll have a great game on Monday.

Yallop ran a good workout keeping everyone busy and keeping the tempo high.He gives a lot of encouragement when someone makes a good play.He has the attention of the players at all times and is understood immediately.

Sutton was the better keeper which is no surprise.He just seems quicker and more agile.

I did not see Occean,Gervais,or Valente at practise.Biello was there but did not take part in the scrimmage or the other drills.Maybe he is injured.

Pizzolitto did not take part in the scrimage either and was a bit disappointing in general.Kind of the same as Menezes.Reda will be fine as well as Serioux.They look confident.They just let the younger guys shine today.

Some of the other guys I did not recognize and can only speculate who they were.Like perhaps Mert.

Good practise field.Very flat and very short grass.Only problem is if someone blasts one over the net the ball could end up in Vancouver via Gagliardi Way which is the main street down Burnaby Mountain.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks for the update, interesting. Valente went to Seattle with the Caps and will be back for today.

Odd that Occean was not there as they have no league game this weekend, perhaps sorting out some personal stuff after transfering over so quickly.

Read on the Millwall site that they consider the rivals they have here to be lower than Conference, said after watching Vancouver beat Seattle 1-0 on Friday night. Kick their butts guys (can't stand Millwall anyways).

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Playing club football in China means he's not committed to the Canadian national squad?

That's one mighty fine leap in logic....

No, that's not what I meant. He had disappeared for a while, leaving the CSA with no way to contact him.

Archived