Guatemalans organise for Burnaby visit

Yes, nothing exceptional so far. Most of them live in the US (especially California) and they are just exploring ideas. One of them lives in Kelso, Washington, near Portland, where he owns a restaurant, and he suggested that many of them could meet there, rest, and travel north together. An awful lot of them live in the Los Angeles area, and they are talking about mega-car-pooling for a long trip north (16 to 18 hours). They discuss the options, and one says that some friends have already booked flights, leaving Tuesday and returning Thursday, for between 246 and 274 dollars US.

Peter Sandoval talks nostalgically of seeing Guatemala play in Montreal and Haiti. He says that with the three and possibly four places for CONCACAF maybe a second Central American team will go. He complains that Mexico always screws the Central American sides in qualifying.

One of them lives in Vancouver and said a lot of Guatemalans ("Chapines" is the national nickname) live there and elsewhere in Canada.

Most of the posts are just saying things like "let's go" and "I look forward to meeting you".

The best post is from Edgar Ovando:

"You can make the difference! June 29 2004, 4:29 p.m. A lot of difference, even if you can't play, you can be the 12th player for the team. I wanted to be able to go to Canada to support the team, but I can't. What I can do it is to go to Oxnard, California, to visit the team when it comes here for two weeks to prepare. When I see our players, I am going to express to them that they have the support of all the Chapines who live in Canada and those that are going to travel to go to see them. It is important that the players feel our support and admiration because the coming matches will be difficult for them and we will be there at least in spirit. Let's Go Guate [short form of Guatemala] ! and, Let's Play With All We've Got."

It is not clear when the Guatemalan National Team will be training in California for 2 weeks, it may be in conjunction with a friendly there, or just before the match in Burnaby.

The guy in the restaurant in Kelso adds later on that he went to the stadium in Burnaby twice before, because he went to support the El Salvadoran team in another qualifier.

Mafossy adds that it is a special experience to see Guatemala play in another country, and that it brings goose bumps to hear the anthem and see the flag. He says that they all owe it to themselves and their country to go if they can. He insists that they all go, and that they may live to regret having to explain in the future why they didn't go.

Some of the posters express anxiety about getting the tickets:

"A question guys: Does anybody even know if we can get tickets? I say this because now is the time to organize as quickly as possible, since the tickets are going to be selling like hot bread since that stadium does not have the capacity for many fans. Therefore, if we are going to do this, let's get powered up as soon as possible, to organize our travel and to buy tickets."

The response on the next post: "I've been keeping an eye out, reading in some Canadian newspapers that tickets were on sale today (July 3) at Ticketmaster of Canada. I understand that the Canadians (CSA) gave the first opportunity to the fans of the Vancouver Whitecaps to purchase tickets. If we want to go to support [Guatemala] we must hurry to buy tickets by calling Ticketmaster or by buying them online."

Guest Dave

I don't like the sound of this. We do not want the Guats to be louder than us in Burnaby.

Due to the high likelihood of a sellout, perhaps the CSA should be limitting the number of tickets made available to non-Canadians. Don't know whether that is even legal to do, but I fear that many Canadians won't be able to get a ticket at the last minute due to so many Guats having bought them earlier. I think this could be a great story angle for Canadian media types. And it may encourage Canadian fans to buy their tickets now before it's too late.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

I don't like the sound of this. We do not want the Guats to be louder than us in Burnaby.

Due to the high likelihood of a sellout, perhaps the CSA should be limitting the number of tickets made available to non-Canadians. Don't know whether that is even legal to do, but I fear that many Canadians won't be able to get a ticket at the last minute due to so many Guats having bought them earlier.

Well, since every other country in the world limits the amount of tickets sold to visiting supporters, at both club and country level, you can pretty much guarentee the CSA won't do this. If we were run by a respectable organization, there would be a specific limited block of tickets available for away support. But we are not.

Andy Sharpe (ISM April/2004):

"I want them to be scared coming up here. As a nationaltiy, were too nice. After they've treated us badly in Central America, we have to fight fire with fire. There's no need to be nice. If they're gonna treat us like sh*t, we'll treat them like sh*t."

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Andy Sharpe (ISM April/2004):

"I want them to be scared coming up here. As a nationaltiy, were too nice. After they've treated us badly in Central America, we have to fight fire with fire. There's no need to be nice. If they're gonna treat us like sh*t, we'll treat them like sh*t."

Haha, oh man! I feel like smearing war-paint on my face!

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

If I ran things I'd limit the visiting supporters to the north end bleachers. Keeps them all seperated in their own section and there's only 900 seats for them.

Sam's Army took over one of those north side bleachers in 97.Man they were annoying.Scarred me for life.

Does anyone know for sure that the CSA hasn't provided an area for visiting supporters with tickets made available to the foreign federation? Probably, they just don't bother about such issues, unless another Federation asks...then they'll scramble and get them a section.

Someone should contact the CSA and find out, as well as seeing if they are amenable to suggestions.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Due to the high likelihood of a sellout, perhaps the CSA should be limitting the number of tickets made available to non-Canadians. Don't know whether that is even legal to do, but I fear that many Canadians won't be able to get a ticket at the last minute due to so many Guats having bought them earlier. I think this could be a great story angle for Canadian media types. And it may encourage Canadian fans to buy their tickets now before it's too late.

Hope they don't. The US fed almost got in a lot of trouble for trying to keep the Honduran fans sequestered to the upper deck of RFK in a 2001 WCQ match, let alone not selling tickets to certain groups of people.

Guate are currently having a 2 week training camp in California to keep players in shape during the off season, and I think to select players for the Canada game. Besides Copa America (and previously EURO 2004), this camp and preparations for Canada are the biggest news in Guatemalan sports, getting press coverage every day (which is amazing given that the game is still over a month away) I think Ruiz was also going to pop in for a few days of camp during these two weeks.

I think we can be assured that Guate will have had plenty of time to prepare for the Canada friendly as a team, something that should make our first match pretty tough. Of course, August is a ways away.

quote:Originally posted by Ruud

Guate are currently having a 2 week training camp in California to keep players in shape during the off season, and I think to select players for the Canada game. Besides Copa America (and previously EURO 2004), this camp and preparations for Canada are the biggest news in Guatemalan sports, getting press coverage every day (which is amazing given that the game is still over a month away) I think Ruiz was also going to pop in for a few days of camp during these two weeks.

I think we can be assured that Guate will have had plenty of time to prepare for the Canada friendly as a team, something that should make our first match pretty tough. Of course, August is a ways away.

Just to add that Guatemala has a friendly in Panama City against Panama on July 22. About two weeks ago their coach said he wanted "at least 5" (!) friendlies before playing Canada, so I assume a few more are being planned after that.

Archived