The Copa America Thread (R)

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Well, consider Parreira's position. What would you expect him to say? As for team strength, first choices may not have been used by both Argentina and Brazil

Argentina is playing their A team, apart from injuries (Aimar and now D'alessandro).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Unless I am missing something, I just saw the worst miss of my life, where the Uruguayan had the whole net, and all the time in the world, and he impossibly knocked it off the crossbar from just a few yards out.

Saw it. Actually you would get a argument from that Lynx vs Calgary game that I saw on Rogers TV this Sunday. Should have seen that miss from JB Nusum

I am just curious to know how many people who are following the Copa on TLN will end up going to watch " The Bourne Supremacy". La nueva pelicula di Matt Damon. I am sure that you must all know by now that the flick will hit the theaters on July 23. If advertising and promotion are effective selling tools, you should see alot of Copa america followers in the theaters.

Well, the Brazilian goalkeeper gave it back....

True. The goalkeeping in this tournament makes for some high-scoring and exciting games.

And Palace just signed an Argentine keeper. uh-oh. [:I]

No extra time in these matches??

"1.7 If the quarterfinal, semifinal and final matches stand as a draw at the end, the winner will be defined in compliance with the execution of the maximum penalties, as determined in the regulations of FIFA."

Well, the Brazilian goalkeeper gave it back....

True. The goalkeeping in this tournament makes for some high-scoring and exciting games.

And Palace just signed an Argentine keeper. uh-oh. [:I]

No extra time in these matches??

"1.7 If the quarterfinal, semifinal and final matches stand as a draw at the end, the winner will be defined in compliance with the execution of the maximum penalties, as determined in the regulations of FIFA."

Guest Jeffery S.

Uruguay was much better in the first half, a decent balanced team with some young talent.

Ended 2-2 and Brazil went through to face the Argies in the final. Should be a good one.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What about Hernan Crespo. Haven't seen him. He cannot be out of the first team picture already has he?

As far as I know, Crespo was not invited to the team. I'm not sure if that's because he has a nagging injury i don't know about or that he's just out-of-favour.

I don't think Crespo is out of favour, as he played against Brazil in their WC qualifier at the beginning of June. Another notable from that roster missing from the Copa roster is Walter Samuel. So I think with the absence of Aimar, Crespo and Samuel, this Argentina squad is just slightly less than their A team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

1-1 actually.

Yeah, I knew I fcked that up but too lazy to correct it. So I'll just leave it so you don't have to delete and I get to look like an azz.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I don't think Crespo is out of favour, as he played against Brazil in their WC qualifier at the beginning of June. Another notable from that roster missing from the Copa roster is Walter Samuel. So I think with the absence of Aimar, Crespo and Samuel, this Argentina squad is just slightly less than their A team.

I thought so too. I haven't looked this up as far as potential names that come to mind, But I seem to recall prior to when they announced their WC team for 2002, that there would be a alot of big names left off due to their extreme depth. Saviola was left off taht team, and thats why I felt, prior to WC 2002, that they would win it all that year. The makeup of this team is far from being "unknown", but there are still many names on it that don't ring a bell for me to the same degree as 2002. Unlike what I recall of their 2002 WC team. I only raised the point because it was mentioned that this was their "A" team.

I just looked it up. Here is the squad they named for WC 2002. Judging from the list, Its safe to say, that this copa squad might be something between an A team and a B team.

1 BURGOS German (GK)

2 AYALA Roberto

3 SORIN Juan

4 POCHETTINO Mauricio

5 ALMEYDA Matias

6 SAMUEL Walter

7 LOPEZ Claudio

8 ZANETTI Javier

9 BATISTUTA Gabriel

10 ORTEGA Ariel

11 VERON Juan

12 CAVALLERO Pablo (GK)

13 PLACENTE Diego

14 SIMEONE Diego

15 HUSAIN Claudio

16 AIMAR Pablo

17 LOPEZ Gustavo

18 GONZALEZ Kily

19 CRESPO Hernan

20 GALLARDO Marcelo

21 CANIGGIA Claudio

22 CHAMOT Jose

23 BONANO Roberto (GK)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I just looked it up. Here is the squad they named for WC 2002. Judging from the list, Its safe to say, that this copa squad might be something between an A team and a B team.

Okay, lets agree on an A-minus team then!? But generally speaking, I think looking at a NT squad over 2 years ago and comparing to a current squad (lets call it "X") is no-way to determine if squad X is an A team. eg. if there was a World Cup in 2004 guys like Batistuta, Claudio Lopez, Aimar and Ortega (etc..) would definitely not be playing anyway.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Okay, lets agree on an A-minus team then!? But generally speaking, I think looking at a NT squad over 2 years ago and comparing to a current squad (lets call it "X") is no-way to determine if squad X is an A team. eg. if there was a World Cup in 2004 guys like Batistuta, Claudio Lopez, Aimar and Ortega (etc..) would definitely not be playing anyway.

I agree with amacpher, you can't look at the 2002 roster. I looked at the WCQ roster against Brazil (which is a huge game, hence a good indication of an A team) from early June 2004. And, as I noted, there are only three significant names on that roster that are not on the Copa roster: Aimar, Crespo and Samuel. I even asked my Argentinian friend what he thought of the Copa roster, and he identified these three guys as the significant absentees. I would agree with calling this an A- team.

Free kick, the likely reason that there are quite a few names on the Copa roster that don't ring a bell is that many play for Argentinian clubs. Which is actually a good move, in my opinion.

Copa-Australia request Copa America berth for 2007

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYjk0aWtjBF9TAzk1ODYzNTkwBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=reu-copaaustralia&prov=reuters&type=lgns

By Brian Homewood

LIMA, July 24 (Reuters) - Australia have asked if they can take part in the next Copa America, South American Football Confederation (CSF) president Nicolas Leoz said on Saturday.

"We've had a letter from Australia asking if they can participate in the 2007 Copa America," Leoz told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Australia have often complained about a lack of competition in the Oceania region and also that, to qualify for the World Cup, they must play a series of games against then local rivals then take on a South American team over two legs.

They were beaten by Uruguay in the qualifiers for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea and will again have to face the fifth-best team in the South American group to qualify for Germany.

The Copa, the oldest of the world's continental tournaments for national teams, features the 10 South American teams, while two teams from outside the region have taken part by invitation since 1993.

Mexico have always been one of those sides while the second has included Honduras, Costa Rica, United States and Japan, who were invited in 1999.

Leoz did not give any indication of whether Australia's request would be accepted but said the CSF were considering increasing the size of the 2007 event in Venezuela.

He also said the CSF were in regular talks with CONCACAF about a single tournament for the two regions. :)

"So far, there are differences in the thinking between the two confederations," he said.

"It's not easy to integrate the 40-odd teams of CONCACAF with 10 from South America.

"It could be easier if there was some sort of qualification system involving the (Caribbean) islands."

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Footnote to last Post

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4348358,00.html

Mystery over Australia for Copa America request

excerpt:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

-But Australian Soccer Association chief executive John O'Neill told reporters on Sunday: "The ASA has not made any approach to South America with a view to playing in the Copa America and it has never been formally considered."

Third Place Breathing Contest in Cuzco:

Uruguay 2 Colombia 1 - result. Copa America, third-place match.

Scorers:

Uruguay - Fabian Estoyanoff 3, Vicente Sanchez 80

Colombia - Sergio Herrera 71 pen

Halftime: 1-0. Attendance: 30,000

Uruguay: 12-Luis Barbat; 17-Carlos Diogo, 2-Joe Bizera, 6-Alejandro Lago, 14-Guillermo Rodriguez; 19-Jorge Martinez (7-Gustavo Varela 78), 8-Omar Pouso, 22-Vicente Sanchez, 10-Juan Parodi (21-Diego Forlan 77); 13-Fabian Estoyanoff (5-Marcelo Sosa 59), 18-Richard Morales.

Colombia: 1-Juan Carlos Henao; 23-Gonzalo Martinez, 5-Andres Orozco, 2-Andres Gonzalez, 20-Gustavo Victoria; 18-Abel Aguilar, 15-John Viafara, 17-Jairo Patino (3-Jaime Castrillon 78), 11-Elkin Murillo (10-Neider Morantes 46), 8-David Ferreira (14-Edixon Perea 61); 9-Sergio Herrera.

Referee: Rene Ortube (Bolivia)

Since there were so many comparisons between this regional championship and ones from the other regions (especially Europe), I'd just like to point out that the Brasil-Argentina final was at least 100 billion times better and more exciting than Greece-Portugal II.

I agree. It was an excellent game. Argentina may have been the better team but it was close. You did get the sense that Brazil would win when it went to penalties. At least, I did after watching their confidence in penalties against Uruguay.

Since there were so many comparisons between this regional championship and ones from the other regions (especially Europe), I'd just like to point out that the Brasil-Argentina final was at least 100 billion times better and more exciting than Greece-Portugal II.

I agree too. One good match. Too bad they didn't have extra time.

Archived