Semifinals

Tuesday

8:45 PM EDT - Peru/Argentina vs. Colombia/Costa Rica

Wednesday

8:45 PM EDT - Paraguay/Uruguay vs. Mexico/Brazil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the 2nd half of that match, Chile was all over Costa Rica and should have won the match by a couple of goals. There was no defense being played in this match at all in the 2nd half, both teams going for broke but Costa Rica looked like they were playing for the tie as Chile did most of the pressing. I assumed it was because CR were already out & had nothing to play for, but I guess not. They score on the counter to qualify.

I hope there defense is just as atrocious when they play Canada in the upcoming qualifiers.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I didn't see it, but what is the fix? sstackho is right, at 1-1 they'd both be out, a winner would advance, a loser would be out. If there was a fix they'd play for 3-3 (Sweden vs. Denmark style ;)).

Well before the match the teams agreed that IF the score was 0-0 or 1-1 with one minute to play THEN we have to make one of us (Chile or CR) win. So I guess CR won the pre-game coin flip so Chile had to give them the game in the last 5 seconds. Chileans hate Bolivians (if not all S.Americans) and CR isn't in S. America so the integrity of the tournament wasn't ever gonna be a major consideration .... i understand that Chile had nothing to gain from a 1-1 draw, but what do they have to gain from handing CR a 4-on-1 break straight from a CR goal-kick with 5 seconds to play?? And its not as though the CR 'keeper took the goal-kick quickly. So there's no excuse for Chile to have 9 players caught deep in CR territory because they were pressing themselves.

It's kinda sad too. While Bolivia fought hard in all 3 of their matches (they could have easily collected 7 points instead of just 2), Costa Rica on the other hand looked as though they were in over their heads and did absolutely nothing all tournament until the fix set-in (90th minute of game 3). [}:)]

TLN Live Coverage of Copa América QUARTER-FINALS - All times EDT

Peru v Argentina

5:45 pm, Saturday EDT

Columbia v Costa Rica

8:30 pm, Saturday EDT

Paraguay v Uruguay

3:45 pm, Sunday EDT

Brazil v Mexico

8:45 pm, Sunday EDT

source: http://www.soccertv.com/canada.cfm

Semi-finals- Tuesday: Saturday's Winners, 8:30 pm EDT

Wednesday: sunday's Winners, 8:30 pm EDT

3rd Place: Saturday, July 24, 8:30 pm EDT

Final: Sunday, July 25, 3:45 EDT

¡Muy peligroso!

[8D]

Copa discussion just died on here...

With the 1-1 tie between Bolivia and Venezuela, here's the scenario:

Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Mexico, Brazil and Paraguay are guaranteed quarterfinal spots. Argentina will almost surely advance as well (only way they won't is if they lose to Uruguay and Ecuador defeat Mexico and the margins of victory total 10 goals).

The only team definitely out is Venezuela (so much for my prediction :(). Bolivia are hanging on by a thread (they need Chile and Costa Rica to draw 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 (2-2 would result in a coin flip)).

At least if my understanding of the rules and my calculations are correct...

As stupid as this (and Gold Cup) arrangement is, at least it didn't dissovle into shennnanigans like these:

---------------------------------------------------------------

In a Shell Caribbean Cup match between Barbados and Grenada in 1994,

going into the last group game, Barbados needed to beat Grenada by two goals to qualify for the final stages. Anything less and Grenada went through. So far, so simple. Except that the organisers had decided that, in the case of extra time, a golden goal would count as two goals.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out what happened next. Barbados raced to a 2-0 lead before Grenada made it 2-1 with seven minutes remaining. The Bajans were heading out unless they scored a goal; any goal.

Fortunately for them, with three minutes left, they did just that - only not in the right net. Their deliberate own goal made it 2-2 and propelled the game towards extra time.

Now, farcically, Grenada needed to score a goal (at either end) to go through. Cue frantic defending of both penalty areas by Barbados until the final whistle.

Such dubious shenanigans were rewarded, however, when Barbados scored the golden goal - this time in Grenada's net - four minutes into extra time to win the match 3-2 (or 4-2 according to the rules of the tournament) and qualify for the finals.

However this isn't the only example of a blatant own-goal being scored to further a team's ambitions. As James Syme points out, it also happened in the infamous 1998 Tiger Cup game between Thailand and Indonesia.

"Whoever won would get to face hot favourites Vietnam in the next round, so both teams tried to throw the match," he says. "At 2-2 and with a few minutes left, the Indonesians dropped all pretence and turned on their own goal, now defended by Thai players.

"In injury time the Indonesian keeper-captain Mursyid Effendi 'saved' the ball, turned round and thumped the ball into his own goal for a 3-2 final result."

Justice was eventually served, however. For not only did Indonesia and Thailand lose their semi-final games (to Singapore and Vietnam, respectively) but both were also fined $40,000 for "violating the spirit of the game." Meanwhile Mursyid Effendi was banned for life.

from: http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,13854,1260260,00.html

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

As stupid as this (and Gold Cup) arrangement is, at least it didn't dissovle into shennnanigans like these:

---------------------------------------------------------------

In a Shell Caribbean Cup match between Barbados and Grenada in 1994,

That is stupid. Lovely to see my theory still applied even back then.

Can we go one notch higher up on the stupidity-scale? I think so: how about those Mexican announcers doing the Copa America games!?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well before the match the teams agreed that IF the score was 0-0 or 1-1 with one minute to play THEN we have to make one of us (Chile or CR) win. So I guess CR won the pre-game coin flip so Chile had to give them the game in the last 5 seconds.

Come on, Italians are ridiculed around the world for claims that are more reasonable than this!

Come on, Italians are ridiculed around the world for claims that are more reasonable than this!

Of course, it wasn't as formal as my example (i hope), but don't tell me in the back of their heads the Chileans weren't thinking that a loss is better than a draw. And that's just as bad as my example, really.

Quote from Max Bretos on the FSW Report last night when arguing why the U.S. should have accepted the invitation to play in this tournament:

"The participation of the U.S. in this tournament is required for (the popularity and credibility of) the Copa America to get over the hump."

Wow!

Last two quarterfinals:

Uruguay 3 Paraguay 1

Brazil 4 Mexico 0

I didn't see either game but I was surprised at the first result and the extent of Brazil's win.

Semifinals

Tuesday: Argentina vs. Colombia

Wednesday: Uruguay vs. Brazil

Guest Jeffery S.

Saw the last half of Paraguay-Uruguay on a short tape delay after seeing the livescore earlier. A good half of football, Uruguay playing well and attacking vs the normally defensive Paraguayans (a report in the press here this morning called them "herbal tea drinkers" for the slow, languid, no initiative play they display). Then in m. 65 a Uruguay player got a red (or 2nd yellow) for a midfield foul where in fact he got to the ball cleanly, very dubious even though the Uruguay "victim" seemed really hurt at first.

Then Paraguay woke up but it was Dario Silva on a counter and a deflection that put them up. Paraguay had some point blank chances well stopped by the Uruguay keeper and finally Silva put it away late. An entertaining bit of football.

Could have watched all of Brazil-Mexico this morn but after reading the score decided to just take a glance, other things to do. The Mexicans complain about the first penalty call, very doubtful, which did swing the game Brazil's way, in spite of. The ref is the same that gave Brazil the 3 Ronaldo penalties in that Comebol WC qualifier. Though Adriano was very active and perhaps Brazil was always closer to scoring before the penalty.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to see Paraguay lose. I thought they were destined for the final. Anyhow, looks like Argentina's tournament to lose now.

That referee for the Brasil-Mexico game was horrible! I'm not saying Brasil didn't play better than Mexico, but since Mexico play like Italians they need that first goal, especially when playing Brasil. The ref handed Brasil the first goal on a silver platter. Then he wiped-out a perfectly good goal by Brasil in the second-half.

I think the difference between Brazil and Mexico was that Brazil came to play and Mexico practically gave up. The third and fourth goals were counters and the fourth goal was a tap in, with the defense just standing there.

Was that the same Sanchez GK that let in Hastings' goal in GC 2000?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Was that the same Sanchez GK that let in Hastings' goal in GC 2000?

Don't know, but it is the same Sanchez that just two days ago in BigSoccer all the Mexicans were convinced was going to make the huge leap to Europe. He quite stunk in this match, though to be fair it seemed, as said, that the whole team fell apart.

I think Mexico is better than Canada, but they do seem a bit mentally fragile. This is a good year to make the Hex and give them a try.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

A good half of football, Uruguay playing well and attacking vs the normally defensive Paraguayans (a report in the press here this morning called them "herbal tea drinkers" for the slow, languid, no initiative play they display).

I don't know whether those comments by the writer were directed towards this or just coincidental, but an herbal tea called "yerba mate" is popular in both countries, but especially Uruguay (and also Argentina). It is drunk from a traditional decorative cup, also called a mate, with a special decorative straw. I remember watching one of those international soccer magazine shows on FSWC and they were interviewing a Uruguayan player and he was drinking mate from one of those cups during the interview. I've never tried it but I know it's available in shops in Toronto.

Anyway, just sharing some cultural tidbits...

Guest Jeffery S.

I don't know whether those comments by the writer were directed towards this or just coincidental, but an herbal tea called "yerba mate" is popular in both countries, but especially Uruguay (and also Argentina). It is drunk from a traditional decorative cup, also called a mate, with a special decorative straw. I remember watching one of those international soccer magazine shows on FSWC and they were interviewing a Uruguayan player and he was drinking mate from one of those cups during the interview. I've never tried it but I know it's available in shops in Toronto.

Anyway, just sharing some cultural tidbits...

Actually in Spanish they said they were a "tila" drinking team. Tila is lime blossom, drunk here as an herbal way to stay calm and relaxed. Thought it was very creative. Is lime blossom drunk in herbal teas in Canada (big Copa America trivia question there boys)?

Argentina 3 Colombia 0 - result. Copa America, semi-final:

Scorers: Carlos Tevez 33, Luis Gonzalez 50, Juan Pablo Sorin 80

Halftime: 1-0; Attendance: 22,000

Argentina: 1-Roberto Abbondanzieri; 8-Javier Zanetti, 22-Fabricio Coloccini, 6-Gabriel Heinze, 3-Juan Pablo Sorin; 5-Javier Mascherano, 16-Luis Gonzalez, 11-Carlos Tevez; 19-Cesar Delgado (21-Mauro Rosales 61), 9-Luciano Figueroa (4-Facundo Quiroga 65), 18-Cristian Gonzalez (13-Diego Placente 85)

Colombia: 1-Juan Carlos Henao; 22-Gonzalo Martinez, 5-Andres Orozco, 2-Andres Gonzalez, 20-Gustavo Victoria; 6-Oscar Diaz, 18-Abel Aguilar (15-John Viafara 58), 17-Jairo Patino, 11-Elkin Murillo (14-Edixon Perea 62); 16-Edwin Congo, 7-Tressor Moreno (8-David Ferreira 74)

Referee: Gilberto Hidalgo (Peru)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Argentina looked crisp and efficient, excellent finishing. i have neve seen Tevez play before this tournament, what a solid carrier, can take the hits and keep going. He is the man of the future. Awesome shot of his. Brazil will have real difficulty with them if they make it to the final, they are a lot more ruthless than Mexico.

Colombia just couln't execute at all despite their energy, they were totally outclassed.

I disagree with Parriera, the teams are understrentgh, unprepared and inconsistent. There have been some exciting moments due to the footwork and the scoring, but nowhere near the excellence in play and closeness of competition in Euro. Doesn't help that the officiating is so bad and the crowds so lukewarm.

How can Parriera say this after so heavily criticizing the timing, usefullness and competition of the tournament (in middle of WCQ's) before the tournament started, and saying that the third place match in Cuzco was such a joke yesterday [:o)]?

Should be a cracking final on Sunday tho'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Copa-Parreira says Copa matches as good as Euro 2004

By Brian Homewood

LIMA, July 20 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira praised playing standards at the Copa America on Tuesday, saying they were at least equal to the European championship played the previous month in Portugal.

"In terms of comfort for the supporters, facilities, stadiums and organisation, there's no comparison," Parreira told reporters.

"It's a reflection of Europe's far greater economic wealth."

"But in terms of the football which has been played, I don't think the Copa America is in any way inferior.

"It's the same standard or, possibly, better."

The Copa America has enjoyed a revival this year after the previous tournament in Colombia three years ago was fraught with problems.

The 2001 event went ahead at only five days' notice, having earlier been postponed because of security worries. Argentina pulled out and several other countries sent reserve teams.

This time, most teams have been at full-strength though Brazil are one of the exceptions after resting several top players including Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Kaka and Ronaldinho.

Despite this, the world champions have reached the semi-finals where they face Uruguay in the National Stadium on Wednesday.

Parreira said the tournament had been an excellent chance for him to watch new players such as Inter Milan striker Adriano, who is the competition's leading scorer with five goals in as many games.

"The competition has been very useful, we have observed players, we have drawn conclusions, we have spent time together, got to know each other and got results."

"Now, we're in the semi-finals where Brazil should always be. We've reached the point of no return."

Well, consider Parreira's position. What would you expect him to say? As for team strength, first choices may not have been used by both Argentina and Brazil but I do agree with him that those two side would have looked very good in Euro 2004.. Brazil in the second half of the Mexico game looked as good as ever. Offensively anyway.

However, my point is not as much about the quality of the these two teams as the lower quality of play at this year's Euro. I believe Cruyff made the point about lower quality to the media during the Euro tournament.

Guest Jeffery S.

For what it is worth, there have been no scoreless ties and less ties in general this Copa. Goals are scored. Mind you I have to recognize that tactically it has been weak, the better team has usually gone out and played better and won, without much thought about how.

Like last night's. Colombia were really horrible, I can't see the difference between them playing a semis and in a friendly. But maybe that is just the Colombia style as well. In any case I can't imagine a team passing so badly in a EuroCup semifinal. Perhaps their poor play is the reason why Argentina did not commit a foul against them until m. 30.

The commentators mentioned that in the famous Argentina 0-Colombia 5 at the River stadium, think it was qualifiers for WC94, about 80 fouls were called. With those and the ones the ref let go that would be some 100 potential fouls in 90 minutes. Frightening.

Archived