Prep for Canada-Honduras, Sep. 4 (Edmonton)

beachesl

Thanks Gordon, we're fine. We're in Calgary. Have been for a few days. Someone was supposed to meet us here, but then their car was taken. There won't be as many of us as planned, but the actual getting to Edmonton is sorted.

Where is Overtime and Victory? I guess we can talk tonight about it. Not a big deal in any event.

cheers,matthew

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Drums and Other Items

From: email just received from Derryn, Security Chief at the match:

"Hello David,

As promised I have plead the Voyageurs case to the FIFA Match Commisioner (MC) about the drums and he has reluctantly allowed them into the stadium for Saturday's game. As for the flag poles, I personally am making the descion to continue not to allow them into the stadium and the MC concurs, as they are obviously a lot more dangerous as potential weapons and this is nothing new of course, but I just wanted to be sure your folks were reminded in advance.

I do however, want it to be perfectly clear David, that the FIFA rule is very clear on this matter and I think that we got lucky with a good MC and therefor I want you to realize that the "well they let us last time, why can't we do it again" bit will not cut it for future games. You have been made aware of the rule and I hope that you respect its logic and each game will be on a per game basis in Edmonton, according to our level of Risk Assessment for each match. I know the Voyageurs are responsible and we do want to limit you in any way, as we do appreciate the sacrifices your group makes to be here and be supportive, however I hope that you will understand that should an incident or complaint arise from the drums, I will be left to answer why I took the actions I did contrary to clear FIFA regulations.

As for your comments about Andy Sharpe, you are correct, Andy is a very progressive man with an excellent vision for the game and he wants to promote a jubuliant atmosphere at all Canadian games, but I can guarantee that Andy would never want to allow anything into the stadium that FIFA would frown upon, as the security and safety of all patrons has to come tops on anyone's list and I'm sure you will see the sense in that rationale.

That being said, I am happy that the Voyageurs will be out to cheer our lads on and I welcome this open communication for future games, as I want to make their expierence in Edmonton as positive as can be as we do appreciate your efforts. Have fun and GO CANADA GO!

Derryn Donaghey,

CSA Security Manager"

Therefore, drums will be permitted for this match, flag poles will not.

The gates are to open at 6:00 pm. Team warmups for 6:15 to 6:45. After a brief presentation to Stalteri for his 50th Cap, the kick-off is set for 7:08.

The FIFA Guidelines can be interpreted to mean that nothing can be brought into the stadium. I have been to some WCQ's in some countries where this has been applied, including the restrictions against keys and small plastic water bottles. In fact, it is quite clear that alcohol is not permitted at FIFA matches period, but FIFA has ignored these provisions as far as Canada and the US is concerned to allow the sale of beer and other alcohol at matches, which will be available at the concessions in both stands. If the past is any indication, soft plastic bottles will be permitted, but not if alcohol is determined to be in them.

If there are any problems with any items of any value being admitted, you may leave them in my backyard (or my house, if someone is there), 3 1/2 blocks north of the stadium, at

11539-88 Street (a blue house). Access to the back yard can be gained either through the gated path to the north of the house or the gate in the back alley. I will leave a tarp in the back yard that items can be placed under if desired.

Don't forget that street parking in the vicinity of the Stadium (8 to 12 block radius, with signs indicating) is prohibited for non-residents without stickers, and it is strictly enforced ($75.00 fine).

Originally posted by beachesl

Ticket Update

I was told that the $8.00 Endzone seats will NOT be available at the wickets on matchday, nor will they be available at the ASA office on matchday (only until tommorrow). After tomorrow, the only $8.00 tickets sold will be available at the "Soccer Festival" (Provincial Senior Championships) at Ellerslie Field, Victoria Club and the Edmonton Soccer Complex, all far far from the stadium.

---------------

What a pain in the arse... hopefully security don't enforce a no moving seats rule.

I remember an Expos game I went to where there was nobody, literally nobody in the lower seats, yet they wouldn't let anyone move down.

Security will likely ONLY check access at the top entrance of both the East and West Stands (only the lower tiers of each will be open). There will be no movement permitted between the two Grandstands or from the endzones to either Grandstand.

Having said that, sometime well after kickoff, I expect that the staff will no longer be checking access into the stands, and certainly not from halftime on.

Once access is gained into either the East or the West Stand, I expect that the staff will not check to ensure that the proper seats are taken, unless there are problems. There will be lots of seats available in the bottom rows of Section U in the East Stand, save for the first 4 or 5 rows where actual seats have been sold to Voyageurs.

OK, I've finally got my **** together. Just in time for the game. I still haven't picked up a ticket yet but that shouldn't be a problem, eh? We aren't projecting a sellout, are we? I suppose I'll head out to Lister for the pickup game, even tough 10AM is just gross. If all else fails, hopefully I can hook up with some of you at Sherlock's around 4...

Canada, 3-2.

Well, guess I'll see you guys at the Sherlock Holmes at 4 pm. I will also be a mere spectator at the match now, but not sure of my ticket situation. Will make it over to Section U by hook or by crook by the second half though!

Went to the rehearsal Friday night, only to be informed in real rude way that I was completely frozen out in favour of Soccer Steve, Aussie blowhard. See the whole unbelievable story at:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4479

Staring to laugh about it now, so should be all smiles tomorrow!

Cheers, DB

Geez, Dave...That's pretty ridiculous. When will they learn that NOBODY likes "Soccer Steve" He ain't no Crazy George, thats for sure. The guy is worse than bad. He's creepy. And that hair....Eech. Almost as bad as the "do" is his pathetic attemp to motivate the crowd to get excited...

Section U then? Sounds good to me. It'll be better for you anyway. Be with the boys and involved in the game. The press box gang are a drag.

Guest Georgio

Hey Reza or anyone for that matter,

Do you know of any motels that are within the range of $50 to $60? I guess the cheapest ones that could be found in Edmonton that don't even have a website. I have googled "cheap motels in Edmonton" and could only find ones ones ranging from $60 +. And then when you go into there websites, it's actually $70 and up. If you don't know of any, that's fine, we'll just have to spend the extra few bucks.

We are leaving Calgary at 10:30 a.m.

Will do our best to meeet up with you guys at the Sherlock.

There are some at the Ellersie service area south entrance to town on highway #2, west side of the highway, that advertise "from 49.95", such as the Chateau , 780-998-6661, the Derrick Motel 780-438-6060, and the Ellersie Motel 780-988-6406 .

There are also some motels 0n 118 Avenue not far from the Coliseum, one LRT stop further than the Stadium: ie: Eastglen Inn 6918 118 Ave. 1-780-471-2610, Beverly Motel, 11545-118 Ave., 479-3923, Jockey Motel, 3604-118 Ave. 479-5981.

Guest Georgio

Thanks beachesl. Much appreciated!

That is sufficient and hope to meet you soon.

That is absolute crap the way tou were treated by "Soccer Steve" and the organizers.

Downtown Edmonton(close to the trains)Theres EconoLodge and Day's Inn Hotels I can't give you a quote but they are cheap. I'm sure they have romms in that range.

EconoLodge- 780 428 6442

Days Inn- 780 4231925

I've stayed at both places and never had to spend more than 60 bucks. Unless their rates jumped in the last year, they should fit your budget.

Downtown Edmonton(close to the trains)Theres EconoLodge and Day's Inn Hotels I can't give you a quote but they are cheap. I'm sure they have romms in that range.

EconoLodge- 780 428 6442

Days Inn- 780 4231925

I've stayed at both places and never had to spend more than 60 bucks. Unless their rates jumped in the last year, they should fit your budget.

Beaches:

It never ceases to amaze me [although I certainly wish they would give me less opportunities] how self-destructive and small minded people who "organzize"...and I use that term very loosely in this case...soccer events in this country can be.

A definite lack of class.

I have seen this "goof" Soccer Steve when flicking around the dial, usually on one of the community TV channels. Who is he and what is his connection to local soccer?

Sorry you apparently received the "shaft". Good for you to continue with your volunteering. Most people, including yours truly would not after having told them what to do in not very diplomatic terms.

Had to chuckle when I read the email from the security official. Especially the part about special permission to allow the drum(s)in. One of my worst memories of watching Cdn international soccer is the time the local organizers organized, never mind permitted, that steel drum band when we played T. & T. and then they had that laughable parade and floats.

On the flag issue, I was sitting beside someone who used to post on the original Voyageurs list who was waving a Cdn flag. A man who was sitting some rows above us came down and requested...albeit admittedly politely, we are Cdn. after all <grin>...that he not the wave the flag as it was obstructing his view.

So we had what was potentially the first ever Voyageurs pick-up soccer at Lister. 11 people showed up in all from Toronto, Sask, BC and Calgary plus myself.

More to come as I have to go, but hopefully we'll see you all at Sherlock or Commonwealth...

See you soon

Archived