Prep for Canada-Honduras, Sep. 4 (Edmonton)

beachesl

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, but I would be surprised if we cross 10000.

As for fieldturf, cleats seem to work fine. Just don't do any sliding tackles, because it's not quite as kind as regular grass. It's a bit tougher on your feet for some reason when the temperatures are real hot (30 and over) and you are taking shot after shot. Something about the synthetic stuff and heat, I guess.

So far, the game has had no advertising/promotion from what I have seen. If you are not a big follower of the game on the net, I really don't how you would find out about it, unless Edmonton Soccer Association has been doing advertising of its own to its players. Considering that with the exception of the end zone tickets, all the other tickets were $20 and above, I am not sure about this low ad campaign.

There have been some 1/8 page ads in the Journal and Sun Sports pages. I think they are hoping for some last minute purchases or walk-ups from the publicity of the Wednesday press conference, but that is pretty passive. I don't listen to local radio or tv much, so I don't know what's happening on that end, but I sense not much. They need, early this week, to give promotional tickets away to the local radio stations for phone-in quizzes or something, to create some sort of consciousness.

They are not likely to hear much from the local soccer organizations

(the same folks who pushed the Aviator's packages, so there might be some fatigue battle there) re: the endzone seats sales, so they won't have any real idea about attendance until game time.

As I type, I'm listening to the noise from the Eskimo game happening a few blocks away. Dollars to donuts they won't make an announcement there.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Just don't do any sliding tackles, because it's not quite as kind as regular grass.

Please. If you want the ball that badly, just ask, and I'll let you have it. 40 year old knees and all that.

As an aside, My Master's team, for whom I did not play this year due to injuries, won the Provincials this year [:0]. We never even qualified while I was a fixture [B)][:I].

I like your attitude Gordon. I was worried about going to the pickup game, thinking some of the Voyageurs might expect us to play WELL. I'm woefully out of shape ever since I bought a car two years ago. And I don't even own cleats. I would have bought some if I'd managed to find a Master's team to play on this year. But as I didn't, I only have my open-toed running shoes.

On the other hand, maybe this would be the occasion to go out and buy some.

I'm really looking forward to the pick-up game on Saturday morning. It'll be a good deal of fun, and believe me it will be very casual. I like the idea of playing a game and meeting a bunch of you guys. My good buddy, Jens, will come out, too. (He was born in Germany but moved to Canada when he was 17. He's now 38 and fully Canuck. Good guy and nice footballer.)

I hope we can get a good bunch of guys out for a fun knock around.

hi all,

So the overall plan for September 4th will be as following:

1) Pre-Game kick around at Lister Hall located at UofA campus at 10:00 AM

http://www.campusmap.ualberta.ca/map_bldg.cfm?bldg_id=125

Rough address: 117 street & 85 Avenue

Directions: Try getting to University either by train or by car. The field is located

1 block to the south of Butterdome ( a yellow shaped building) and right next to

Jubilee Auditorium. The campus res buildings are quite visible within the university

area anyways.

2) Pre-Game Gathering over at downtown Sherlock Holmes at 4:00 PM

Sherlock Holmes Pub

Downtown Location

Address

10012 - 101 A Ave

http://www.thesherlockholmes.com/

Refer to past e-mails and the website for details of getting there.

3) Game starts at 7:00 PM

4) Post-Game gathering for those interested at Sherlock Holmes again

or where ever we decide afterwards.

See u on Saturday.

With the forecast calling for rain,is there a laundromat near the stadium that has a dryer big enough to take approx. 120 ft. of fabric in the form of banners and flags before I pack them up and take them home on the plane with me?

Furthermore is there anyone that can help me put them up and take them down?

Also,isn't Commonwelth mostly concrete?What method is best to secure the banners to wet concrete?

we made two of those banners here and used them in many occassions, so it shouldn't be a problem...I'll bring the tape...

As for the forecast, it's too early to tell what the weather will be..just wait till Thursday or so and then we'll come up with something...

take care

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Furthermore is there anyone that can help me put them up and take them down?

Also,isn't Commonwelth mostly concrete? What method is best to secure the banners to wet concrete?

Nazz! You didn't even have to ask. I'll give you a hand so I'll see you at the pre-game.

AS for securing the banners, hanging them from the deck above us with string (if possible ) may be the best bet. Any locals should bring duct tape and string.

We can figure out something to dry em out too.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Heh, a tale of two cities. Voyageurs meet in Edmonton and play soccer in a park. Voyageurs meet in Vancouver and get drunk in a park.[:P]

Hey, from one Vancouver dude to another, who said we were going to be sober when we play soccer in the park? Yes, we'll do you proud.

Got some info on a trip to the ASA office today.

1. The gates are to be opened to spectators at exactly 18:00 hours (6 pm), one hour before kickoff.

2. In terms of the searches at the gate, typical items like bottles, tins, any potentially dangerous or sharp items, and alcohol, will not be permitted entry. Since the FIFA Match Official has not had the opportunity to approve the final procedyures and arrangemnts, more detail is not available, though I have been told I will get any such info before game day, and I will post here.

3. Ticket sales have been abysmal. The ASA will not be getting info from Ticketmaster as to non-ASA sales until after the match, but only confirmed reserve seat sales thru the ASA directly are in the low 100's. The indications from the Ticketmaster site monitor show that sales through them at other agents have been largely stagnant. Many of the local association tickets for the endzones have been returned unsold. The indications are that only about 1,500 endzone seats have been sold so far. Unless there is a phenomenal walkup creAted by pregame media reports this week, expect under 10,000. The upper tiers will not be open, period.

4. In terms of the Voyageurs section, about only 50 of the 200 plus seats reserved for us in the the first 20 rows of Section U have been sold. Sean told me that he will not be selling the rest of the section seats to non-Voyageurs, as there are so many seats available elsewhere. All the seats sold in our section are in the first four rows from the front. If any Voyageurs come to buy on game day, still ask for this section if you want. If you decide to purchase at the match, be prepared to wait for up to an hour or more, as there will be limited ticket sellers at the wickets.

Unfortunately, I will not be sitting with you guys, as I have volunteered to be the match P/A announcer. I hope to see many of you guys at Sherlock Holmes following the game, or perhaps on Friday night, as guys like Matthew have said they want to get together then.

In terms of stuff that might not be allowed in, and if the items are valuable, as a contingency plan you can take them to my place, 3 1/2 blocks north of the stadium at 11535-88 STREET (a blue house). Leave it with whomever is there, and if the house has no one in, leave it in the back yard thru the side gate. This will be a nearly 20 minute diversion, so if you are coming with anything you don't want to part with, I suggest that you try to get into the stadium early.

I expect most of you will want to get into the section early so you can watch the teams warm up prior to the march in.

Cheers, dave

Anyone picking up their pre-paid tickets at the Stadium (ASA office), I was told today that they are opening at 5:30pm.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

2. In terms of the searches at the gate, typical items like bottles, tins, any potentially dangerous or sharp items, and alcohol, will not be permitted entry.

(smirk... giggle)

Archived