Prep for Canada-Honduras, Sep. 4 (Edmonton)

beachesl

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just bring the boots...they don't take much space anyways. With the shape some of guys are in, you could probably even use your running shoes or dress shoes for that matter :-)

As we get closer to the weekend, we'll decide if a pick up is possible or not. The trouble is Friday night might be a bit too hard and Saturday might be a little too close to the game for some people. We'll see what comes up.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

As for a kick about How aboot Saturday early morinig. I'm sure me and my little enterouge could make it. Lets keep taliking about if and it myay still happen. I'll bring the first aid kit.

Hey, I'm bring my both pairs of boots--one for field turf and one for the real thing. (Actually, I'm not joking on this one. I have a pair for field turf because they make me look supercool.)

I agree that Saturday morning, just say 10am or a bit later would be cool. I don't know Edmontonchuk, but if you give us a location and address, we'll be there. That'll be two of us for a kick-around, and my wife in the bleachers.

Let me know where we shall meet.

As far as the fields go, there are two realistic options...

There is a fieldturf field at the University which is not bad and because of its location should be easy for most to get to. If you are centrally located (i.e. near downtown), there is also a grass soccer pitch in Rossdale which is walking distance from downtown (about 10 minute walk from the core) just around Telusfield.

Thought you guys may be interested:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, August 26, 2004

DIGNITARIES AND PLAYERS TO HELP LAUNCH SPECIAL SOCCER WEEK IN EDMONTON

Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith to Make Unprecedented Proclamation

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association will hold a media conference on Wednesday, September 1st at 1:30 p.m. at the CIBC branch at 10120 Jasper Avenue, to kick off the Qualification Match of the 2006 FIFA World Cup GermanyTM against Honduras, presented by CIBC on Saturday, September 4th at Commonwealth Stadium.

Canadian Men’s World Cup Team Head Coach Frank Yallop and several team members will be present along with representatives of the CSA, presenting match sponsor CIBC (CSA Diamond Sponsor), the local organizing committee, and the local Edmonton soccer community.

WHEN: Wednesday, September 1, 2004

TIME: 1:30 p.m.

WHERE: CIBC branch

10120 Jasper Avenue

WHO: Frank Yallop – Men’s World Cup Team Head Coach

Men’s World Cup Team Players

Bill Smith - Mayor of Edmonton

Kevin Montgomery - CIBC District Vice-President, Edmonton

The Hon. Anne McClellan - Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness

Mike Traficante - President, Alberta Soccer Association

John Gill - Chair, Local Organizing Committee

NOTE: Numerous photo opportunities will be available

R.S.V.P. Alison Bresver

Public Relations Coordinator

NK Public Relations

alison@nkpr.net

For game day accreditation, please apply online in the media section at www.canadasoccer.com, or contact Richard Ivan – rivan@soccercan.ca with your request 48 hours prior to kickoff. Please state your name, affiliation, contact info, and type of media.

For more information please contact:

Richard Ivan

(613) 237-4580 ext: 242

rivan@soccercan.ca

quote:Originally posted by Reza

As requested, we will try to play a pick up soccer match on Saturday morning, September 4th, at about 10 a.m. over at Lister Hall at the University of Alberta campus.

Lister Hall soccer pitch is located just to the south of Lister Hall residence and is at 85 Avenue and 117 street.

http://www.campusmap.ualberta.ca/map_bldg.cfm?bldg_id=125

That's a really easy place to get to! Kudos Reza.

Reza, how about setting a place to meet AFTER the match for post-match analysis? Also, some of us have some duties before the match preventing us from going to the Sherlock Holmes beforehand, and we would then miss out on meeting some of the V's from around the country. Some of the V's have already said they will not be sitting in Section U for various reasons, and it would be hard to touch base about a post-game place unless we do it here prior to game day.

Some place downtown or off the LRT? Back at the Sherlock Holmes?

[?]

If I imbibe too much at the Sherlock Holmes, how easy is it to get to Commonwealth?

Aren't we going to be parading down Whyte Ave with flags out our car windows after the win? ;)

Is the field at U of A grass? Does anyone know practice times for Friday?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

If I imbibe too much at the Sherlock Holmes, how easy is it to get to Commonwealth?

Aren't we going to be parading down Whyte Ave with flags out our car windows after the win? ;)

Is the field at U of A grass? Does anyone know practice times for Friday?

cheers,

matthew

Very easy to get from the SH Pub to Commonwealth. The Pub is one block from the LRT station. It's a 5 minute LRT ride. The stadium LRT station is across the street from Commonwealth.

A victory parade down Whyte Avenue sounds great! The other option is down Jasper. Whyte Avenue requires a bus to get to, as it is about a 20 minute walk from the LRT staion at the Uni.

The Lister Field at the U of A is Edmonton's only FieldTurf facility, (Canada may have a light kickaround there on Sunday to prepare for Costa Rica), if Reza gets it.

I will attempt to get info on the Canada practices, including info on whether any will be open , and post back.

I have been playing over at Lister every week for the past month or so...it's a fieldturf facility and it's a full field. Not bad overall...fieldturf isn't as good as real grass, but it's not too bad either...for most of you at least, this should be your first kick at fieldturf.

Nah..Lister is the only place that you are guaranteed to go at any time on the weekends in summer and have a pick up game started..there is almost always some rec team playing there.

BTW, Beach I am not aware of any booking procedure for Lister...we always just head there and play and sometime there are as many as 30-40 people there...

I thought that was Field Turf, do you wear cleats? I'm kind of looking forward to playing on the stuff.

Beachesl> I might have meant Jasper anyway. That's the big street and Whyte's the artier shopping district right? I've got to stop poting at 3 a.m.

cheers,

matthew

Re Canada team Practices, from CSA site:

"The Canadians will begin arriving in Edmonton on Monday, August 30th. The team will train at Victoria Soccer Club on Tuesday, August 31 at 2:00 p.m., while training is TBA for Wednesday, September 1. On Thursday the team will hold an open practice at Victoria at 10:30 a.m. On Friday, September 3, the team will practice at Commonwealth Stadium at 11:00 a.m."

The Wednesday practice(s) will be in the morning or late afternoon, as the whole team is supposed to show up at the main CIBC on Jasper for the press conference on Wednesday at 1:30.

Victoria Soccer Club is located in the far Northwest of the city at 14020-142 Street. It's the "German" soccer club in town. To get there, take:

1. From St Albert Trail (Hwy #2 North), turn east at 137th Avenue and turn left (north) onto 142 Street just before the train tracks.

2. From the east (ie: from 97th Street arterial from centre), turn west on 137th Avenue, and head to 142 Street, turning right (north) just after the tracks.

The Club is located on the left hand side of 142 Street just a stone's throw north of 137 Ave. You can take the 303 Bus there from Northgate Mall Transit centre to the corner of 137 Avenue and 142 Street. To get to Northgate from the downtown core, you can take #'s 9, 134 or 140.

The Friday practice at Commonwealth is likely to be closed. The Hondurans will probably be practicing there at a different time. There is a way to get a certain view of the field, but I won't post the details here.

I'll post more info when I learn it.

Archived