Prep for Canada-Honduras, Sep. 4 (Edmonton)

beachesl

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Georgio

beachesl or anyone who may know, do you know if the Alberta Major League provincials are being played in Edmonton this year, they rotate between Calgary and Edmonton yearly, and are held on the Labor Day weekend. This will determine if I stay in Edmonton for the entire weekend.

Guest Georgio

I checked the ASA website and the Provincials are there. Guess it will be a great weekend for soccer in Edmonton.

Okay, I have just talked to Liz Ferguson on the phone. She apologizes for the problems involved between them and Ticketmaster. She has assured me that the Section has been blocked off for us for three weeks.

She told me that she will talk to Sean to IMMEDIATELY start filling the orders for Rows 6 to 20 in Section U, and will fill the first five rows for us once the computer thing with Ticketmaster is sorted out.

Liz is appreciative of our obsessiveness about this event, and assures us that the section is ours.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

I will offer my excuses for jumping the queue here, but...

...just what exactly am I supposed to do to get tickets?

[?]

See the first post of this thread for the various options for procedure to follow if you want a ticket in the Voyageur section.

A note from Free Kick on the other thread confirming that the orders are being filled and the tickets sent out for our section:

"I got an email late this afternoon stating that my game ticket was just sent out."

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

My ticket arrived today.SectionU row 2 seat 10.

Vancouver Fan, I believe we are sitting next to you. 3 more from Vancouver. Maybe they are sticking all of the Vancouverites in the same area to contain a possible outbreak of neo-communist ideology. Can't have those damn pinkos running free in Alberta. Or, maybe they're trying to keep the pot smoke limited to a small area of the stadium.

I look forward to meeting a whole lot of you guys in September. Are we still playing a game of footie in the afternoon? Should I bring my boots?

quote:Originally posted by Reza

We'll discuss that in the next few weeks.

I'll be firing off an e-mail in the next two or three days and after that we'll begin the task of organizing for the event.

Reza, thanks for taking this on. Can't wait to meet you guys.

I wonder if some day we could enlist willing Voyageurs to sit in many sections throughout these stadia leading the crowd in song and chant. Perhaps we could hand out the Voyageur Canadian Soccer Song Book someday--or maybe sell it for a pittance to cover costs. We have a great core of individuals here, and I don't doubt that we can make a lot of good things happen for soccer in canada. More on this later.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Maybe they are sticking all of the Vancouverites in the same area to contain a possible outbreak of neo-communist ideology. Can't have those damn pinkos running free in Alberta.

Are we still playing a game of footie in the afternoon? Should I bring my boots?

If there is a game can I play left wing?:D

well, if Doyle would come, we could put him on the right wing and you ,Beaver, on the left :-) We should have no problem filling the middle though judging by this board :-)...I think even Matthew would like that player selection...

quote:Originally posted by Reza

well, if Doyle would come, we could put him on the right wing and you ,Beaver, on the left :-) We should have no problem filling the middle though judging by this board :-)...I think even Matthew would like that player selection...

At least you know where I fit in.:D

I'm still waiting on my transfer to naval reserves. I hate to think of the idea of going to the 'Military Ombudsman' to get things sped up.:(

Nice one Reza. :)

I think I'll be in my proper place politically and in terms of the game - I'll be to the left of everyone else . . . somewhere on the sidelines.

I called for my three tickets today. Sean was very helpful.

cheers,

matthew

I think I'll be in my proper place politically and in terms of the game - I'll be to the left of everyone else . . . somewhere on the sidelines.

cheers,

matthew

Originally posted by matthew

cheers,

matthew

_-----------

Actually, to be more politically and soccerly accurate, I play down the centre, perhaps just left of center, though sometimes I like to overlap down the wings and help out at back (whatever that might mean). Just don't put me in goal.

And, building on what Matthew correctly pointed out, Sean at the ASA has been very helpful. In fact, the willingness on their part to help us out with our very own section is wonderful and certainly beyond the call of duty. Perhaps we should buy a card or something and have all the dudes sign it? Or we could sign a very large cucumber?

Welcome to the Canada-Honduras e-mail list.

With this list, we hope to have the group organized for the September 4th

match or as organized as possible.

Ticket Information:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/en/viewarticle.asp?id=83

Pre-Game Soccer Match?

If you are up for this, let me know. We have to set things up time-wise though. Depending on the numbers, we could do a east-west, or Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Sask and TO (or east) or some combination. There are not many good fields around Commonwealth. Our best option might be somewhere near university.

Proposed Gathering Place prior to the game (Tailgate)

Start 3:30-4:00

End : 5:30 PM

Sherlock Holmes Pub

Downtown Location

Address

10012 - 101 A Ave

http://www.thesherlockholmes.com/

Across from Westin Hotel

One block of City Center Mall and Churchill Square

Sherlock Holmes has a daily happy hour between 4 and 7 PM.

Getting there?

Parking Info in downtown for the Tailgate

There is free parking just on the outside of the pub, but it's often filled.

Bay in Edmonton City Center has a parking that charges $1 for parking during

mall's business hour. The parking is located in 103 street and 102 Avenue.

The Pub is located half way between Churchil and Central Train stations.

The Game:

7:00 PM at Commonwealth

111 Avenue and Stadium Road

Commonwealth is located just to the north east of downtown Edmonton.

Our section is section U of Commonwealth Stadium, situated on the east side,

facing the press box and the cameras. It's also the sunny side, but with

the game starting at 7:00 PM I wouldn't worry about that.

Getting There?

By Train:

The Simplest way to get there is by train. Edmotnon's train system is small

but it goes by the stadium through downtown and to the university.

By Car:

Travel Direction to stadium:

From Southside (Coming in from airport):

Travel North on Calgary Trail and Take Whitemud east exist.

Travel Whitemud East,

Take 75th street North Exit…

Travel until you cross the Gretzky Bridge...

The 112 Avenue Exist (West)

The stadium is 3-4 minutes away

Estimated Time : 40 minutes from city limits

From downtown

Take 101 street towards north

Make a right turn on 111 Avenue

Follow the road and it should be 5 minutes before arriving at stadium

Estimated Time : 5-10 minutes

From University

Take 109 street and travel north

Take Walterdale bridge to cross the river and get on to 105 street

Turn right on 104 Avenue

Travel east on 104 Ave for four blocks and turn left into 101 street

The rest is the same as downtown route...

Estimated Time : 15-20 minutes from the University

From West from Highway 16 (Jasper --- coming from Vancouver)

Take 124 street south exit

Turn left on to 111 Avenue

Follow the road and you should be there in 10 minutes

Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes from city limits

Getting around E-town:

If you are not familiar with Edmonton, Edmonton's street system is one of

the easiest in North America. Essentially, avenues increase in numbers as

you move north, while street numbers increase as you move west (almost

like a matrix). Off course, there are roads that are not straight and

that's when you get stuff like Stadium Road.

So when you are driving into town from west (i.e. Vancouver) and you get

into town, you'll be seeing street addresses like 200, 180 and 170 gradually

decreasing as you reach city center while when you are coming into town from

the airport (south), you'll see your avenue numbers increase(i.e.

23, 34, etc..).

Just to get an idea, the most western portion of Edmonton is around 260 street

while its most northern is around 200 avenue. Downtown core is around 100 Avenue

and 100 street.

Essentially, if you get lost in Edmonton, you have no hope in hell in any

other city :-)

Places to hang around

Whyte Avenue (82nd Avenue): This is Edmonton's busy street located just to

the south of river opposite of downtown and it's close to the University. Not

as hip as Robson or Young but still it's the busiest strip east of vancouver and

west of Toronto.

Downtown:

Plenty of restaurants and bars in these areas: Rice Howard Way (100-101 street),

and the area west of downtown between 109-124 street (High Street) and Jasper Avenue

WEM: if you are the mall type, West Ed might be of interest.

River Valley: if you are the nature type, renting a bike and getting on the trails

might be a good idea, as some of the best in-city trails in Canada are located here.

You can rent a bike just to the south of downtown right by the Edmonton Queen, the little

blue boat on North Saskatchewan river. Even a casual stroll from downtown through Louis Mckinney Park and nearby river area is definitely worthwhile.

Questions

If you have questions regarding getting around or other stuff, fire off an e-mail.

In order to organize a soccer match, we need to know your rough whereabouts in city

as to find a location and to provide directions and set up the timing.

• 4 weeks later...

Reza:

I will be getting into town late Friday night and staying at the sis-in-laws close to the Mayfield Inn (107th & 163rd) more or less. I would be down for a low intensity kick around (recovering from injury) and will certainly be at Sherlock Holmes pub whethr game occurs or not.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Reza:

I will be getting into town late Friday night and staying at the sis-in-laws close to the Mayfield Inn (107th & 163rd) more or less. I would be down for a low intensity kick around (recovering from injury) and will certainly be at Sherlock Holmes pub whethr game occurs or not.

So is the kick around still on for Friday? I'm curious to know whether I should pack the cleats or not.

Archived