Euro 2004 Final - Portugal vs Greece [R]

Grizzly

Greece pulls off the upset 1-0 with a goal by Charisteas off a corner. Portugal had more possession and shots but rarely seemed to put together anything really dangerous and when they did managed to shoot the ball 10 metres over the net. With that type of finishing they did not deserve to win. Greece was effective as usual and seemed to be far more dangerous on the chances they had. Was Jeffery S. the Barca fan who ran on the field and threw his scarf at Figo? That Furtado song is pretty uninspiring in my opinion, certainly not a soccer classic. Good on the TSN crew for mentioning that Charisteas is a teammate of Stalteri.

Guest Jeffery S.

Geez, that Barça fan. The Spanish tv tried to pretend it was some guy with similar colours, but the guy, from Sabadell outside Barcelona, was wearing the typical Catalan peasant hat, the type that Dalí liked to put on. I was a bit amused and a bit more embarrassed. We did love Figo you know, sometimes we act like enraged spurned lovers still. Deep down we know he is a wonderful player and would like to have him still.

At least the Barça fan scored.

Thought Greece was excellent, I did not find them extremely defensive, they played cleanly and were composed from start to finish. Even at the end when they could have got hysterical they maintained the offside trap perfectly, covered positionally very well, got to a lot of divided balls first, the defenders stretched out the boot and broke up dangerous plays in tight, and it was Portugal who got called for fouls late and saw the cards. The central defenders and especially Kapsis on the side were very good. Portugal constantly forced into the middle, taking long shots that went wide. And they did this without Karagounis, one of their better players.

Scolari most probably erred insisting on Pauleta again, he was worse than Gomes and no better than Postiga. And at least Simao has quickness, maybe not to start but later on a good option (for Ronaldo for example).

Have to say the goal was well taken, but Ricardo was terribly out of position, behind the line of players. After that you get thinking that maybe they were lucky to get the call vs. England on their disallowed goal, as he did something similar there.

Happy about the result. I was glad Portugal got this far, for their home fans and national self-esteem, but don't think it would have been bearable having to deal with them as winners. The end of the Figo-Rui Costa-Couto generation.

I agree the keeper was in terrible position on the goal, neither in a spot to have a chance at the ball nor in any position to stop a header. I am also one of the fans who when there is no team that I really like cheers for the team whose fans are more bearable in victory (that is why I never cheer for Italy or England :-). I also think that the Greek fans will be less iritating than the Portugese would have been if they had won but I guess we will have to see. I lost all sympathy for Portugal's team after talking with my Portugese friends BEFORE their World Cup match against the US (although they were pretty quiet afterwards!!).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

When I first saw that guy run out on the pitch, I was thinking that it must some sort of political message that he was trying to convey. Then he threw that Barcelona flag at Figo. Thats was funny:D

Yeah, I don't support running onto the field but what he ultimately did with it was classic. Running onto the field naked (like that English guy) is really lame compared to this.

When I first saw that guy run out on the pitch, I was thinking that it must some sort of political message that he was trying to convey. Then he threw that Barcelona flag at Figo. Thats was funny:D

That might have been the best part of the game. So who was that guy? Is he well known?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yeah, I don't support running onto the field but what he ultimately did with it was classic. Running onto the field naked (like that English guy) is really lame compared to this.

While that part was funny, ultimately, the funniest part was him driving himself straight into the net at top speed, and then seeing replays of that ;)

Here's the guys website as so cleverly written on his t-shirt: http://www.jimmyjump.com/ingles/home.htm

Guest Jeffery S.

Now I remember this guy, from the F1 race at Montmeló. Really risky going out there on the track.

The "jump" at Camp Nou was a few years back when Abelardo retired, and he had something about "Pitu" Abelardo being sexy, which he definitely was not. Abelardo, by the way, is Luis Enrique's best friend, both came up through Sporting Gijon youth and won the Olympic gold in Barcelona. A fine centre back and a great personality.

Funny how I read that t-shirt perfectly but just assumed it was to promote something else. Now I don't feel so bad about reminding Figo how he was so disloyal to us. With the traitor's arch enemy on Portugal set to sign for Barça tomorrow, I think we are in doing okay.

Oh, and let noone accuse us Barça fans of being boring or not knowing how to support our team; we are, and we do, but just don't let it get repeated on this board.

Who would that be: Rui Costa?

Never mind I figured it out:

Deco set for Barcelona?

by Editor :: 2004-07-04, 14:49

According to reports in Spain, Portuguese international Deco is set to sign for Barcelona in a €15m (£10m) deal.

The FC Porto midfielder will sign a five-year deal.

Ricardo Quaresma could also move to Portugal as part of the deal.

Not sure that I saw anything from Deco in this tournament to be impressed. In fact, I thought he was quite dissapointing for them.

I don't see how Rui Costa couldn't have done better for them in that role behind the forward

Italian commentators on TLN in Canada stated that this tournament was a victory for soccer, because it proved that a team doesn't have to be loaded with rich superstars to win a major competition. I wonder if they felt the same way (or even noticed) when Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000.

There is some validity to the viewpoint, on the other hand it could be argued that this tournament is a blow against the long-held viewpoint in soccer that offense wins championships. Perhaps Italy should now revert to their catennachio days of 40 years ago? :)

If this matched proved anything it's that Ricardo is an absolute cheat. When he knew he couldn't get to the ball his only tactic was to make it look like he got fouled. Anyone who argued that England didn't score that second goal should have a close look at what he did on the Greek goal.

Well in to Greece. They beat the hosts (twice) and the holders and never got scored on in the knockout rounds. If that doesn't say 'deserved to win' I don't know what does. I also agree with the posters who suggest that the local Greek fans will be less annoying that the Portugese fans. They know this was a great Cinderella run and are justifiably proud but aren't going to be claiming that they are the world's greatest soccer nation because they won.

Mike.

Great performance by Greece: they did a superb job of man marking and especially covering for each other in defensive positions. I suppose you could second guess that Portugal would have been better served having two full strikers (Pauleta and Nuno Gomes) on at the same time when they were behind instead of maintaining their attacking tactical shape (with the disappointing Deco playing behind the lone forward). Rui Costa's attempts at quick one-twos near the edge of the penalty area, though they didn't quite succeed, seemed to create more discomfort for the Greek defenders than the early crosses from the flanks or the wing play of either Ronaldo or Figo. The Greek fullbacks did a terrific job and the centre backs and keeper nullified any aerial balls played in.

The Greeks played like a well drilled defensive club side looking for an away result in a Champions' League tie against a more fashionable opponent. Great teamwork reaped rewards!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Italian commentators on TLN in Canada stated that this tournament was a victory for soccer, because it proved that a team doesn't have to be loaded with rich superstars to win a major competition. I wonder if they felt the same way (or even noticed) when Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000.

There is some validity to the viewpoint, on the other hand it could be argued that this tournament is a blow against the long-held viewpoint in soccer that offense wins championships. Perhaps Italy should now revert to their catennachio days of 40 years ago? :)

That's the sentiment I've been trying to convey to anyone who's been willing to listen to me (which turns out to be not many people ;)). But I end up sounding like I'm against Greece or do not appreciate their achievement.

If Italy had won this way they'd be bashed for being boring, not applauded for great defensive teamplay.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

That's the sentiment I've been trying to convey to anyone who's been willing to listen to me (which turns out to be not many people ;)). But I end up sounding like I'm against Greece or do not appreciate their achievement.

If Italy had won this way they'd be bashed for being boring, not applauded for great defensive teamplay.

Italy can't play that way, Greece can, simple as that. Greece is a team that is and will continue to be an underdog, and have to play like one. Nor do they have any tricks up their sleeve, all their players are what you see is what you get. No magic.

Italy should have a bit of all: magic, some tricks, some great moves and something special. When they have won as a nation they have had it. Italy is a champion nation and has to show it, national team and clubs. Meaning sometimes, vs. a lesser opponent, you have to carry the game with all the consequences, home or away. Usually it leaves them in good stead, lately the national side has suffered, but I think it has to be passing. One expects, in Europe, traditionally, Italy and Germany to be in the quarter finals of Eurocup and WC. I don't even expect that from France.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Italy can't play that way, Greece can, simple as that. Greece is a team that is and will continue to be an underdog, and have to play like one. Nor do they have any tricks up their sleeve, all their players are what you see is what you get. No magic.

Italy should have a bit of all: magic, some tricks, some great moves and something special. When they have won as a nation they have had it. Italy is a champion nation and has to show it, national team and clubs. Meaning sometimes, vs. a lesser opponent, you have to carry the game with all the consequences, home or away. Usually it leaves them in good stead, lately the national side has suffered, but I think it has to be passing. One expects, in Europe, traditionally, Italy and Germany to be in the quarter finals of Eurocup and WC. I don't even expect that from France.

I understand, respect and appreciate that view. But I can't be convinced that the "big teams" must "win big" (ie. live up to certain stylistic standards in the way that they win). Regardless of who you are and what style you employ, any win that is honest and doesn't rely on an inordinate amount of luck or number of favourable decisions by referees or higher-ups is good enough in my books. I do want Italy to use a different style, but only because I think it would be more effective, not because of how it looks; in other words, if they (or any other team, for that matter) played exactly like Greece and won the tournament then I wouldn't complain.

Archived