Does anyone else find the silver goal stupid?

Grizzly

Although I thought today's result was in order (it was a pretty even game, a Czech win would have been ok as well), I find the silver goal rule stupid. In my opinion you should either have the golden goal (my preference) or play the whole overtime period. Is this FIFA or UEFA rules? I don't see any reasoning that would support favouring the silver goal other than the muddy thinking and lack of backbone of soccer officials.

I would rather that they implement a system and stick with it. I liked the golden goal when they introduced it. But many of the criticism about it was that it tended to reward teams who were cautious in extra time. Just like sudden death in hockey its usually a mistake that results in the winning goal.

One of the best games ever played ( Fra-W.Ger in 82)night not be thought of as great game if the Golden goal would have existed at the time. France would have won and gone on to the finals. This year Por-Eng game was much more interesting because of the silver goal rule. I do however agree that it would make more sence to me to play the full 30 minutes. regardless if there is a goal or not.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

FIFA is scrapping the Silver Goal rule anyways. The Portugal-Greece game will be the last game ever played with the Silver Goal.

Yes, see the thread entitled "Artificial playing surfaces permitted from July 1". There's an article posted there that summarizes the rule changes that come into effect as of July 1 (except for Euro 2004 since it had already begun). One of them is the scrapping of golden and silver goals.

My guess is that the silver goal rule came about when FIFA (or UEFA?) were trying to find a method that would create the FEWEST penalty shootouts. In theory, you would think that the golden goal would be the answer, but it had the opposite effect in practice. The silver goal makes teams play less cautiously (compared to golden goal) and adds that extra scenerio where PK's are avoided (ie. when a team leading after 105 minutes but game is tied after 120).

After watching some wide-open play during the extra times in Euro 2004, I have to say the silver goal rule wasn't a terrible idea.

Dose anyone else find the silver goal stupid?

Yup. Don't much care for the golden goal either.

I'm okay with the two halves of extra time. If you've got to follow that up with penalty kicks that's the way it's got to go I guess.

TSN had one of those round table discussions last week relating to soccer, silver goal rule, penalty kicks and Beckham's shame. General agreement amongst the non-footie crowd (which was 3 of 4 faces) was that the only reason they were being made to talk about soccer was because of the wicked ratings Euro was getting AND that penalty kicks seemed a stupid way to decide who advances. Should just keep playing sudden death overtime until someone potted one.

Yeah, good idea dip-****s. How about this. When a baseball game goes to extra innings don't let the teams change pitchers under any circumstances.

The problem with overtime is , that it's overtime . Whatever system is employed the losing team will cry foul. I thought the silver goal was fair. The problem with the full 30 minutes to me is , you have to allow two (maybe) substitutions . Making players play for 120 minutes plus stoppage time seems inhumane somehow. PK's have always annoyed me to end a game. But a game has to end somehow and big tourneys can't have re-plays . It's just not practical.

Golden goal or sudden death , I've never liked . Too iffy , if I had my choice ........re-plays is the way to go.

Hahahaha to end the World Series after 15 innings there'll be a home run derby.;) Or the most annoying of all team sport OT's the NFL sudden death . What's up with that ? Sudden death in a game where each team actually gets undisputed offensive possession.......Noooooo I meant heads .......how the eff did you hear tails. I want to go to the video re-play referee to see if he can read my lips. [:o)] In conclusive ........then we toss the coin again.

It's a tough issue. Imagine using sudden-death like in the stanley cup. A quarter-final round game going to 5 extra periods. You might as well just eliminate both teams.

A radical idea could be to adopt NHL regular season OT, and make each team remove a couple of players or something.

I hate penalty kicks so much, I usually just turn them off. (excellent home run derby analogy, argh1)

Archived