OT: Liberal Minority

Jarrek

Ed, how was the 2004 election over before the West finished voting? The polls closed from Quebec to Alberta at the same time, and half an hour later in B.C. You're saying the election was over based on the results in the Maritimes?

Oh yeah, the voter turn out was crap, there really is no defending it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Most democratic countries average over 70%, England, until recently over that as well. Australia and New Zealand which typically over 75%, which both have parliamentary system. I didn't misread anything. The past few federal elections have brought our average down, not surprising since the election was for all intent over before many in the west even got to their polling stations. But 60% is not 'actually pretty good'. The USA is widely known to be one of the worst democracies in terms of voter turnout.

But there is another factor to consider. More and more, over the past few elections, there have been a majority of constituancies that have been very consistant in their support towards one party or another. In fact, I saw a correlation in results the other day whereby, the ridings with close results had a much higher particiation rate. Lets face it, there are many constuancies in canada where the results is pretty much obvious and you will note that in many of those riding the participation rate is the lowest. The english speaking suburbs of Montreal are not going to vote for any one other than the liberal any time soon. You could probably say the same for much Calgary or rural alberta when it comes to the conservatives. I am not saying that is good but none the less it doesn't affect the democratic process in the same extent as what happened in Florida during the last US presidential elections.

You also have to consider that this election as held at a time when alot people are on holidays.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Ed, how was the 2004 election over before the West finished voting? The polls closed from Quebec to Alberta at the same time, and half an hour later in B.C. You're saying the election was over based on the results in the Maritimes?

Oh yeah, the voter turn out was crap, there really is no defending it.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the two elections prior to this past Monday which also had very low turnout. But I expected difft this time around.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The Greens got over 500,000. It's still enough for federal funding, which is somthing I don't support when it comes to political parties.

Have you actually thought that statement through, Doyle? What do you think happens when only corporations and the rich fund political parties? Is that democracy?

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Have you actually thought that statement through, Doyle? What do you think happens when only corporations and the rich fund political parties? Is that democracy?

I knew what I was saying. You answer seems to state that only a couple a groups can fund parties. Which is sadly wrong of course.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But there is another factor to consider. More and more, over the past few elections, there have been a majority of constituancies that have been very consistant in their support towards one party or another. In fact, I saw a correlation in results the other day whereby, the ridings with close results had a much higher particiation rate. Lets face it, there are many constuancies in canada where the results is pretty much obvious and you will note that in many of those riding the participation rate is the lowest. The english speaking suburbs of Montreal are not going to vote for any one other than the liberal any time soon. You could probably say the same for much Calgary or rural alberta when it comes to the conservatives. I am not saying that is good but none the less it doesn't affect the democratic process in the same extent as what happened in Florida during the last US presidential elections.

You also have to consider that this election as held at a time when alot people are on holidays.

In my constituancy, Huron-Bruce (Southern Ontario), we had a voter turnout of 66% (which is pretty good) even thought this riding has been Liberal since the time of Pearson (at least that is what the guy across the street has said and he's lived here all his life, he's in his 80's). So this theory has it's exceptions. BTW, Paul Steckle won the riding for the 4th straight time with 49.9% of the votes, I was one of 1,501 people to vote for the Green Party here.

Archived