Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

No World champions, no European champions anymore !

What a relief !!!

French goes home with its arrogant fans and their kindergarten songs

Guest Jeffery S.

Greece pretty well did what they have done in all matches so far. Very disciplined on defence, usually lining up 8 behind the ball. Play good defence all over the field, have solid lines without anyone really flashy, seem to be very concentrated and work as a unit. Then they get a goal and use it to defend more and maybe counter.

Goal by Charisteas was essentially a counter, as the French never recovered to get a man advantage in the box to defend the cross that went into him. Still, a defending error. On the play Lizarazu had one of his only bad moments, missing the winger. Otherwise France's really attack came down his side when he doubled over or cut in. Meaning with two strikers against 4 defenders and no penetration on the wings or aggressive midfielders finding the box (Pires did more than Zidane) France had the same problems scoring as they've shown all Cup. A team that desperately needs new blood and could use retiring a few guys to get it. And maybe learn from Scolari and sub out your star when he's playing crap.

Hindsight: France missed Micoud, one of the only midfielders who could fit into Zidane's spot effectively. And then we'd have had two of Stalteri's teammates at each other.

For a guy who can't start for Werder Bremen, that was some sweet header today. I'm hoping this will be a good tournament year for a certain other Werder Bremen player.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

Otto, Otto, Otto !

No World champions, no European champions anymore !

What a relief !!!

French goes home with its arrogant fans and their kindergarten songs

You must be Belgian. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

A team that desperately needs new blood and could use retiring a few guys to get it. And maybe learn from Scolari and sub out your star when he's playing crap.

I enjoy your observations, Jeffrey.

The youngest member of their starting midfield (Vieira, 27 years old) was missing this evening and the other two holding midfielders (Dacourt, 29, and Makele, 31) seemed to lack something. Zidane (31) seemed lethargic, too.

Charisteas has been crap for Werder and a huge dissapointment after transfering with great fanfare but he sure has played a lot better at the Euro. Doesn't even seem to be the same player and maybe they will rethink about trying to transfer him out or at least this should up his price. France made a big mistake in not calling Micoud, not even as a sub. I think this shows that there is some leveling of the playing field between the nations in Europe. It may, however, be a mistake to be to awed by this and think there are so many strong sides in Europe considering the poor level of play that we have seen throughout the tournament. After finally a game played at a high level yesterday we were back to the same boring mediocre play that has characterized this tournament. Greece was full value for the win but it is also not as surprising as it may seem. The Greeks have always had good players who should have produced better results but never played as a team and with discipline. Rehegal has achieved what many previous coaches before him failed to do and got the Greeks to play as a team and realize their potential. France was very poor today and their play has shown that their World Cup showing was indicative of their play and not a one off bad result.

They were bad from start to finish, and did not even deserve to be in the 1/4. So am I surprised? No! Are U? But what a relief that the luck was missing, lacking, absent, not there, what ever. They're finally gone! The most over-rated team, right? I hate Henry even more with her arrogant expression. They should clone Cantona – at least they would have an attraction.

For those who said or think that this is the biggest upset of all EUROs, one question: have you seen them play in the first round…???

Congratulations and THANKS to the Greek national team for ‘la libération’.

The four best teams of the tournament play on Saturday and Sunday, what a threat this should be.

How about another Holland-Czech republic fiesta? The dream final...

Bizarre Comments From Santini After Match

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYjk0aWtjBF9TAzk1ODYzNTkwBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=afp-fbl_eur2004_fra_santini&prov=afp&type=lgns

June 26, 2004

LISBON (AFP) - Jacques Santini launched an astonishing attack on the French squad blaming them for France's failure to defend their European title successfully following the shock 1-0 defeat by Greece.

In his final press conference as national coach before taking over ailing Premiership side Spurs the 52-year-old accused the players of taking advantage of his being too nice to them which was just about the only thing he accepted responsbility for.

"I tried to protect the squad by not bawling them out in public," said Santini, who took over from the hapless Roger Lemerre after the debacle of the defence of their world crown in the 2002 World Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Why did I ignore the reality of what was happneing on the pitch? Because I am like that.

"Like one says I was too nice and they betrayed me by taking advantage of that.

"I am going to say what happened, if the players wish too then they can.

"I thought that when we got into the knockout stages the players experience would tell but instead I think after we beat Germany 3-0 in a warm-up match that several of them became complacent," added Santini, who had guided France to a 21 match unbeaten streak till the Greeks rudely dumped them out of the tournament.

Santini, who had a distinguished playing career as a midfielder being capped by France and played in the 1975 European Cup final for St Etienne against Bayern Munich, rejected suggestions he had damaged morale by announcing before the tournament he was leaving - instead it was the players who got the blame.

"There were maybe players who by the time they got here had already moved on from the era of Santini," said the former Lyon coach, alluding to the fact several players didn't really care how they played as he wasn't going to be around afterwards.

When asked had the team lacked leadership against the Greeks especially when they went 1-0 down in the 65th minute he declined to answer save to smile indicating he believed there had been no-one prepared to pull the team together.

Santini put a large part of their failure to go any further down to the lack of technical skills of the players.

"I have not been able to pin anything down as a reason in the few hours I have had to think about it.

"We did not come here in too relaxed a manner or saying we we were too good.

"In order to justify our favourite's tag we had to be really strong on top of our technical game, and that was what let us down in all four matches.

"And of course several players did not play to their normal level."

Clearly he had among others Marcel Desailly in mind, though his selection of him in the 2-2 draw with Croatia upset Bixente Lizarazu and almost cost the French the match.

"My choice visavis Marcel was always clear," said Santini.

"I never told him he was a replacement. The fact he had not played in all the lead-up matches meant there had to be changes in the squad.

"His absence from the starting line-up in the last friendly against Ukraine was down to a specific thing of which I will not elaborate on. He can if he wishes," added Santini, who along with Desailly during the week leading up to the opening match with England had claimed the 35-year-old had a mysterious knee injury.

Santini said the team had lacked a competitive edge to it which was not just down to fatigue.

"Fatigue is not the sole preserve of French players," said Santini, who got the job on the back of delivering Lyon their first title.

"We knew that to go further we needed to be more competitive than we had been in the previous matches. I think the squad had the necessary elements to achieve that but against Greece we only played properly for 45 minutes and that was not enough," added the former French international.

Santini said he had not noticed as some observers had several of the players smiling after the final whistle had gone on their Euro campaign.

"If some people saw the players smiling that is their problem.

"I don't function like that. After the match I got the players and the staff together to speak to them. That is human nature which I attach a lot of importance to," he said.

As to whether the French could rebound from losing the title in time for the qualifiers for the 2006 World Cup finals Santini said they had to regroup quickly.

"Maybe they will bounce back.

"But they will have to do it quickly because the qualifiers for the 2006 World Cup start in two months (they have Ireland in their group).

"I do not know if it is the end of a generation but the squad has a lot of potential."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't players and coaches just be quiet, dignified and discreet in defeat? My respect for Santini has disappeared.

Guest Jeffery S.

Most of what Santini criticizes is totally his fault. If you don't want your players to be complacent you have to put in the better younger guys and pressure the experienced ones. And shake up the alignment in terms of strategy, watching Trezeguet go through the motions was a bit horrible (glad in the end he won't be signed by Barça). Almost the entire French side is 100% sure of their starting spots. And that is the error of the coach, who gave them a complacent principle to learn from, it was his cue.

Another thing it led to, and I commented on this after their first game vs. England, was a mannered way of playing. Like you know what it is that makes you tops and you just imitate yourself, or an image of yourself, and think this is enough. Meaning you get thinking there are no other ways of winning than the way you "always" have. Mannerism. For three games this was masked by another factor, luck, lucky to come back against England, lucky to get a draw with Croatia.

Even here Brazil has evolved from their style 30 years ago, partially because their best are in Europe, partially because they have different players. We don't have a great Brazilian midfield anymore in the sense it once was, so Brazil gave the ball to their opponents and essentially countered the last WC, doing a relatively fast build-up that defies the tradition. Some Brazilians don't like it even when they win, which is fine, but at least it corresponds to the type of striker you have (Ronaldo) who is deadly on a run and with space (and much weaker in a scramble or having to head). So Brazil is evolving, and France will have to if they want to regain their status in Europe and the world.

Compare France with England, where Rooney is probably not among the best half dozen strikers on the basis of club performance. He has simply taken advantage of the coach's confidence and has been wonderful. Credit to Ericksson for starting him. England has been a very attractive team, perhaps the most interesting England side in years, including finding James as reliable, putting in Terry and able to compensate for a make-do back line in part, only the midfield was predictable. So I don't like to talk about an England failure since going out as they did was honorable and hard to criticize, a very solid team I think, much more future there than on the France side.

Archived