TSN'S Euro 2004 Numbers up ...WAY UP

Footy

I hope this is a good indication about the future of soccer as specatator sport [:P]

There seems to be a louder buzz about the European soccer tournament this time. It might have something to do with controversies involving the Italian team, the headlines about England and its 18-year-old star, Wayne Rooney, and France's recovery after a shaky start. Whatever the case, Euro 2004 is getting more air time on radio, receiving a higher placement on sportscasts and also drawing larger TV audiences.

TSN's live daytime coverage is averaging 217,000 viewers a game. That's an increase of 150 per cent from the Euro 2000 telecasts.

Is this a breakthrough? After so many years of Canadian children participating in youth soccer and with Canadians bombarded with so much soccer content on TV, is the sport on the crest of becoming mainstream?

TSN's Euro 2004 anchor, Vic Rauter, loves soccer and has been covering the sport for more than 20 years. But he's not optimistic about it moving into the same league as football or baseball, never mind hockey.

"Euro 2004 is big because people like to watch the big show," he said. "The Euro Cup will go away July 4 and Canada will revert back to what it is -- a hockey country, primarily. The World Cup will come in two years and again there will be a lot of flag waving and then it will go away."

Despite growth in Montreal and Vancouver, the sport in Toronto is still divided along ethnic lines, Rauter said.

"The Germans believe they play the best soccer, the Italians think they do, the Polish do, the English do," he said.

"The problem is they won't go and watch soccer for soccer's sake. People have this attitude that soccer is only good in places where they come from."

Rauter said soccer will arrive when a city is able to support a Major League Soccer franchise and Canadian players will be able to make a living playing the game at home instead of moving to Europe.

quote:Originally posted by Footy

I hope this is a good indication about the future of soccer as specatator sport [:P]

"The problem is they won't go and watch soccer for soccer's sake. People have this attitude that soccer is only good in places where they come from."

Rauter said soccer will arrive when a city is able to support a Major League Soccer franchise and Canadian players will be able to make a living playing the game at home instead of moving to Europe.

I that Vic raises some interesting and very valid points here. But the counter argument might be this: Has anyone really noticed any significant and easily noticeable difference in the way English, Italians, Germans, Spanish and Portuguese play. With the greater number of clubs involved more and more in European competition, more more teams are looking teh same to me. I may be wrong but the sides are not that dissimilar anymore in their approaches, unlike the past. If this trend continues, will people still be able to say: " that soccer is only good in places where they come from."

quote:
"The Germans believe they play the best soccer, the Italians think they do, the Polish do, the English do," he said.
quote:

AH VIC you must have visited the Polish Distric in TORONTO. Yeah its true we think wre the BEST :) heheh @ least he mentioned the Polish fans along with the germans and the English and the Whops :)

Lets hope TSN and Sportsnet start airing more games more soccer orianteed shows TSN has champions league but a domestic league once a week and a wrap up show wouldnet hur and it would give VIC something to do besides calling those boring Curling bonsphiels but hey there is always FORUMLA 1 :) hehehe

As encouraging as the TV numbers are, it's the fact that there are people about the shop who are watching and talking about Euro 2004 which has caught my interest. And it's not that they're just talking to about it to me.

Never happened before. Not for the World Cups, previous Euro Cups and certainly not for the Gold Cups. Kinda nice. And I'm not saying anything but there's nothing ethnic (generaly of course) about my workplace. White, male, english as your only language. So we're talking about neutral observers here.

Vic touchs (again) on the tribal nature of football in most parts of Canada. Can't say as I view it quite as darkly as some here do.

But I'll touch a little on this reality. Don't know if it means anything or not. Few years ago Mr and Mrs Cheeta Senior's oldest cub married into an ethnic Italian family. Got to run into the various in-laws at functions and we'd eventualy talk a little footie. Cheeta Mum was very proud that I followed football because she figured it put me into some sort of common bond with these new family members so she'd never let it rest. Interesting thing though, it was the older Italian borns who seemed to know a thing or two about the Canadian players. Catliff good. Like Mitchel. No, Grey's too old. Dolan has concentration issues. Great to see Tony have the series of his life against the '86s in the final. So on, so forth. The younger Canadian borns weren't nearly as interested in football and certainly not Canadian football. Couldn't even score a goal in Mexico. Yeah, very nice, thanks pal.

Anyway. That's sort of stuck with me. Made for a strange impression. Don't realy know if it was a good one or a bad one.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

to me.

Vic touchs (again) on the tribal nature of football in most parts of Canada. Can't say as I view it quite as darkly as some here do.

But I'll touch a little on this reality. Don't know if it means anything or not. Few years ago Mr and Mrs Cheeta Senior's oldest cub married into an ethnic Italian family. Got to run into the various in-laws at functions and we'd eventualy talk a little footie. Cheeta Mum was very proud that I followed football because she figured it put me into some sort of common bond with these new family members so she'd never let it rest. Interesting thing though, it was the older Italian borns who seemed to know a thing or two about the Canadian players. Catliff good. Like Mitchel. No, Grey's too old. Dolan has concentration issues. Great to see Tony have the series of his life against the '86s in the final. So on, so forth. The younger Canadian borns weren't nearly as interested in football and certainly not Canadian football. Couldn't even score a goal in Mexico. Yeah, very nice, thanks pal.

Anyway. That's sort of stuck with me. Made for a strange impression. Don't realy know if it was a good one or a bad one.

For the most part it is the same in my family.I think it has to do with the younger non Italian borns wanting to be part of or represent something "cool".Lets face it,we're not seeing Stalteri in addidas ads riding mopeds,coming to complete stops,doing flips and providing perfect crosses to Spanish superstars while in mid air.It is the tribal thing.They want to be identified with something that is perceived to be cool.

Soccer in this country is definatly more popular as a spectator sport then ever.

I've lived through the "who's George Best" to the "that Pele guy can play " to the "Diego has skills" to "Beckham this , Beckham that"

CBC taped delayed games on Sunday (including Scottish Cup a week later)

TSN Soccer Saturdays , Sportsnet Soccer Saturdays , FSW Soccer , live champions league , Uefa Cup , Canadian national teams , A-League (RDS)

etc.

At one time I mentioned soccer , well the looks , I can't describe .

WC'02 "Did you see that play Mexico made , 10 passes and an Exorcist type header , wow ". Euro Cup '04 an office pool !

Nah , soccer is taking hold.

Archived