Celtic sign under-17 canuck?

Joe05

When is the next U-17 national team outing??? This U-17 group does not seem to be together at all. One outing in Ireland and nothing since maybe the CSA are hurting for money. When can the coaches see all these new players

I believe it is the U17s playing a tournament in July in the USA, Minnesota I think. If I recall correctly, it will be against the US, a regional US team and a Central American team.

Doubt Lensky will be there, however, as he will be training with Celtic.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I believe it is the U17s playing a tournament in July in the USA, Minnesota I think. If I recall correctly, it will be against the US, a regional US team and a Central American team.

Doubt Lensky will be there, however, as he will be training with Celtic.

From What I understand it is the age group with Lombardo (I believe 1987) that is playing in the USA.

I also just heard that a player may play U17 -20 for any Nation and then decide which country he wishes to represent. This means DeJong could still play for Holland, the same for others like him.

Observer, there is a thread on this Minnesota Tourney on page 2 of this section of the Board. The tournament website calls it a series beween the U17s of Canada, US and Mexico Cruz Azul. Another poster states he thinks the team is mainly 87s, Lombardo's age. I have not seen a roster so you may very well be right.

I do not think that new Fifa ruling is as cut and dry as you can play for a country even if you represented another country at a young age. I believe the circumstances have to be such that you are no longer in the plans of the first country you played with. I cite Kevin Sharp as an example. Born in Canada, but represented England as an U15 or U17 international. Before turning 20, he was no longer in England's plans, but was tied to England and could not play for Canada (assuming he would want to, and that he could actually make the Canadian squad).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Celtic

i have heard that Jacob Lensky could walk on teh nationals and be the best player by far...true or not bc and canadian soccer have messed up again! surprise Surprise

The only possible mess-up is if he choses the Czech Republic over us, which if I recall he could qualify for. As he has just gone to Celtic I don't think we insisted on calling him in for u-17 matches.

I think it is Slovakia Jeffrey. Celtic, just what National team are you referring to? If you are talking U17s (88 and under), you are probably right. If you are talking any older age group, I do not think so.

Obviously, I have never seen him play, but with the talent we have at that level, I do not think anyone can "walk" onto that U20 squad. We have U20 eligible players all over the world at large clubs Feyenoord, AC Milan, Atalanta, Kaiserslautern, 1860 Munich, Blackburn, Hertha Berlin, Sheffield Utd, PSV Eindhoven, ...... etc, etc.

But if he is that talented, all the better for Canada.

Archived