hargreaves england(R)

snake

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Just because something is a job, does not mean you cannot enjoy it. I mean, the Greek players got paid very nicely for their performance in Euro 2004. Doesn't mean they didn't want to win for the sake of being considered champions (as opposed to just wanting to win for the money). Being part of a NT involves taking on more responsibility, more work and less spare-time. It's a job, just like,say, being a good father is job.

Then going by your criteria, his job should be to represent his country of brith and upbringing - Canada.

Continuing with your theory, let's examine each "job" based on their incentive.

The incentive for the sacrifices made at the club level are financial.

The incentive for the sacrifices made by a father is to raise a well adjusted child.

The incentive for the sacrifices made by an internatial soccer player is the honour of representing his country on the pitch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Then going by your criteria, his job should be to represent his country of brith and upbringing - Canada.

Continuing with your theory, let's examine each "job" based on their incentive.

The incentive for the sacrifices made at the club level are financial.

The incentive for the sacrifices made by a father is to raise a well adjusted child.

The incentive for the sacrifices made by an internatial soccer player is the honour of representing his country on the pitch.

That doesn't follow from my theory. The Greek coach is a big part of the Greece team, so guess what his incentive was (since he's German)?? Not to mention all 5 AEK players on the Greece squad have already developed a swollen head and are demanding money now! What follows is that the incentives to play for national teams doesn't differ a great deal from the incentives to play for club teams: Money, fame, sex and the desire to win!

What's funny is nobody thinks OH should play for England, but I've seen on here people saying Zidane should be playing for Algeria. [:o)]

You've got an uphill battle here amacpher...

It Owen doesn't know what playing for your national team is all about.. then too bad for him. Unfortunately this boils over into the same problem Canadian soccer fans have - supporting their own country.

I saw a lot of soccer jersey's being worn during the Euro, but very few Canadian ones.

Honestly, I'm all for people immigrating here and having a good life and whatnot.. but if all they're gonna do is whine about how great the "old country" was.. then they should just go back if its so great.

Don't mean to sound contrary, but why would people wear Canadian jerseys during Euro? If our friends representing "Old World" heritage would simply pay attention to their new world's struggles in concacaf the next whore might stay at home. But as a side note I'm always puzzled by how excited people can get for their grandparent's homelands. Being just Canadian isn't that boring, is it?

Well.. I should clarify that of the jerseys' I saw people wearing, only a few were actual Euro national team kits. Most were various club teams from around the world.

It was more like a "celebration of soccer" is what I was getting at, but that few people decided to invite Canada to the party.

Well.. I should clarify that of the jerseys' I saw people wearing, only a few were actual Euro national team kits. Most were various club teams from around the world.

It was more like a "celebration of soccer" is what I was getting at, but that few people decided to invite Canada to the party.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Don't you think that those club jerseys were just a substitution for NT jerseys by people you didn't own the particular NT jersey of the Euro country they're supporting (eg. if someone is going to go out to watch an Italy game, they're more likely to be wearing a jersey of a serie A club if they don't actually own an Italy jersey over, say, a Canada jersey even if they DO own a Canada jersey)?? However there are exceptions. Anyone notice the Canadian flag at the Copa America game in Peru?

Archived