hargreaves england(R)

snake

I don't know but my parent are from Peru but I will never go play for them because I wasnt born there. I was born in Canada therefore am Canadian obviously I like there soccer team but if I had to choose I would play for the maple leaf! You have to belive in the Canadian program otherwise our soccer will never advance can you imagine if all the Italians here would go play for Italy just because there parents are from there??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought Hargreaves played rather well today, especially in the defensive end. Too bad he chose not to play for us, he would've been of great help. After watching the game it is quite obvious that if Beckham ever tries to take a penalty kick again, Sol Campbell must tackle him and pin him to the ground to ensure he gets nowhere near the penalty area. He has now missed his last three penalties and completely fanned on two of them. His miss today was eerily similar to his miss in Istanbul. It looks like he is overcommitting on his approach, it looked to me as though his left heel actually touched the ball first.

this tournament proves all beckham is good for is crossing, free kicks and some hussle on defense. he can't outrun ANYONE. he MUST be moved to a central midfield role for england. it's too bad cuz i actually quite like him. i love seeing those commercials for adidas where he dribbles past people, because well, he NEVER ever does! always good for a laugh. it's weird he missed these pk's because because he's usually very good at them. he should just roof it top left corner every time like shearer does. he has the ability.

Why do people resent Hargreaves for playing for England? I do not know many details, but I heard that he was actually turned down by the great Canadian MNT. Is this true? Or did he just go for the elusive English left wing opportunity?

Please inform.

Hargreaves was invited to try out for the U17 national team (not qute the same as the CMNT, which generally refers to the senior team that plays in the Gold Cup & World Cup qualifiers), but he was not selected for the final roster. He was a year younger than most players, aged 15 at the time.

Two other players cut from the same U17 team played for Canada in World Cup qualifying against Belize earlier this month, with another young Canadian player (currently with Newcastle) cut from the most recent U17 team as 15 year old but fully committed to the Canadian cause cheered the team on from the stands.

quote:Originally posted by frostman

Why do people resent Hargreaves for playing for England?

Please inform.

It's called jealousy. Plain and simple. Deep down we all know almost every Canadian would do the same thing given the opportunity.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

It's called jealousy. Plain and simple. Deep down we all know almost every Canadian would do the same thing given the opportunity.

Oh really?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/nationwide2/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/03/06/SOCCER_Tranmere_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=nationwide2

and Hume was actually born in Scotland, although he was raised in Canada. Whoregreaves was born in Canada, but never lived in England. I still don't know why people defend this guy.

Wooooo!!!!

I'm glad I have finally found other people who agree with my Anti-Hargreaves-ness. We used to hang traitors didn't we?

Here is the real deal on this. If ass-head thinks he is gonna be with perpetual wonderkid England for long he is sadly mistaken. By the next World Cup there will be another great young English Midfielder to take his place. Sure he can puff out his chest and say he played for England, but he'll never see Euro 2008. He could have been with Canada for ages and maybe seen 70 or more caps.

That is a textbook definition of short sightedness, and that is why i strongly dislike him.

Screw that guy

Oh.... by the way...

I was also stunned by how much he sucked in Portugal. He was minus 2 (hockey talk) vs France and minus 1 and a member of the losing side in the shootout vs Portugal. I didn't get to see the Switzerland game but I hear he sucked there too!

Ha ha bloody hah bloody ha!

Goodbye Owen... Next!

I too think that Hargreaves' days on the English team are soon to be numbered. After watching the success of teams like Portugal, Netherlands, and the Czech Republic, England will almost certainly start taking pure wingers instead of just sticking Midfielders out wide. Hargreaves will probably lose his spot to players like Shaun Wright-Phillips and James Milner.

Frankly I was surprised Hargreaves was taken ahead of players like Joe Cole and Scott Parker this time.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Here is the real deal on this. If ass-head thinks he is gonna be with perpetual wonderkid England for long he is sadly mistaken.

Well, the worst player on England's squad is still more famous that the greatest Canadian player of all time (whoever that might be).

By the next World Cup there will be another great young English Midfielder to take his place. Sure he can puff out his chest and say he played for England, but he'll never see Euro 2008. .

He never would have seen Euro 2004 or Euro 2008 if he played for Canada, would he?

He could have been with Canada for ages and maybe seen 70 or more caps.

Maybe that's what scares him. He doesn't want to fly over the Atlantic 70 times more than he otherwise would just for fun.

That is a textbook definition of short sightedness, and that is why i strongly dislike him.

Well, if you were offered 2 jobs: one was stable/permanent but ordinary and very dull at times with a bad location to boot, while the other job was an exciting challenge and ideal location but one where you could get fired if you don't pull your weight, which one would you pick?? If picking the latter makes a person short-sightedness then I guess all the successful people on the planet are short-sighted too!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, if you were offered 2 jobs: one was stable/permanent but ordinary and very dull at times with a bad location to boot, while the other job was an exciting challenge and ideal location but one where you could get fired if you don't pull your weight, which one would you pick?? If picking the latter makes a person short-sightedness then I guess all the successful people on the planet are short-sighted too!

This is the type of response that bugs me the most. Playing for a national team is not a job. He chooses to play for Bayern Munich over Calgary Mustangs for his job and that's absolutely fine. But playing for a national team is something different. Anyone who does not see it this way doesn't really appreciate the meaning of national teams, and if too many people start viewing it this way (sometimes I think we are reaching this point) then I don't think there is any point to having national teams at all (except for organizers, sponsors, TV, etc. to make money off tournaments, but I won't be watching).

quote:This is the type of response that bugs me the most. Playing for a national team is not a job. He chooses to play for Bayern Munich over Calgary Mustangs for his job and that's absolutely fine. But playing for a national team is something different. Anyone who does not see it this way doesn't really appreciate the meaning of national teams, and if too many people start viewing it this way (sometimes I think we are reaching this point) then I don't think there is any point to having national teams at all (except for organizers, sponsors, TV, etc. to make money off tournaments, but I won't be watching).

Yeah!!!

and by the way...

Hey amacpher.

KEEP CHASING THAT ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR YOU CAPITALIST ****.

quote:

Originally posted by amacpher

Maybe that's what scares him. He doesn't want to fly over the Atlantic 70 times more than he otherwise would just for fun.

Ah, yes. But wouldn't that be 140 times? One each way?

Still in Lisbon? Very jelous.[}:)]

As for Hargreaves. Well, we got Bircham. England got Owen. I'm no Bircham fan, but I think we got the better of the deal. At least Marc's never worn out his welcome at a club level (yet!). Don't know if one could say quite the same thing about Mr. Hargreaves tenure with Bayern. (It's the right of every Voyageur to give Hargreaves at least one dig once per post)

And no, not Hargreaves best tourny. Seems to have been on his own page when on the pitch. Nice to see the energy, though. As waisteful and useless as it was at times.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This is the type of response that bugs me the most. Playing for a national team is not a job. He chooses to play for Bayern Munich over Calgary Mustangs for his job and that's absolutely fine. But playing for a national team is something different. Anyone who does not see it this way doesn't really appreciate the meaning of national teams, and if too many people start viewing it this way (sometimes I think we are reaching this point) then I don't think there is any point to having national teams at all (except for organizers, sponsors, TV, etc. to make money off tournaments, but I won't be watching).

Just because something is a job, does not mean you cannot enjoy it. I mean, the Greek players got paid very nicely for their performance in Euro 2004. Doesn't mean they didn't want to win for the sake of being considered champions (as opposed to just wanting to win for the money). Being part of a NT involves taking on more responsibility, more work and less spare-time. It's a job, just like,say, being a good father is job.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Hey, amacpher, since you are so fond of defending the Whore, how do you defend the fact that he lied about playing for Canada?

I'm not taking sides. Just tired of blind fans. Anyone who thinks he had a bad game against Portugal is just that - a blind fan. His crosses into the area were much more dangerous than Beckham's. He created the free-kick in the 89th minutes which could (should?) have been the winning goal for England. He created England's best scoring chance in the first extra-time with the cross that found Beckham's head. Plus he took the 5th PK and looked cool doing it. But, yeah, other than that he had a dreadful match. [:o)]

Archived