Soccernuts

Windsor's Ademolu goes pro in Sweden

NCAA star leaves school for soccer career

Dave Waddell

Windsor Star

June 23, 2004

<http://mirror.canada.com/images/spacer.gif>

<http://mirror.canada.com/images/advert/advertisement_h.gif>

A few months ago, Stephen Ademolu's biggest concern was getting a decent class schedule for this fall.

But, the 21-year-old Windsorite has parlayed an outstanding season at Cleveland State into a berth on the under-23 Canadian national team and now his first pro contract.

After inking a deal with Trelleborgs of the Swedish Elite League, Ademolu will depart Saturday for Europe.

"It's all happened so fast that it's hard to believe," Ademolu said. "I don't think it'll sink in until I get on the plane.

"I've always dreamed of playing in Europe because that's where the best leagues in the world are. I just felt going back to school for my final year wouldn't challenge me as much as playing in Sweden."

Ademolu wasn't so sure where he fit in soccer's hierarchy until recent months.

After being named player of the year in the NCAA's Horizon League, Ademolu joined the under-23 national team for Olympic qualifying. Canada just missed a berth in Athens, but he wasn't missed by the prying eyes of the soccer scouts that comb the globe for talent.

"The under-23 team really opened doors for me," said Ademolu, with 14 goals in 21 games for Cleveland State last season.

"When I first joined that team, I wasn't sure I could play at that level. All but three of the players were pros and soccer was their life while I was spending an hour or so a day practising at school. But, after a few practices, it made me realize I could play at the highest level and adapt."

Ademolu was still brimming with confidence when he flew to Sweden for his Trelleborgs tryout June 8-9.

The five-foot-nine forward scored a goal and set up another in an exhibition game as part of the Trelleborgs reserve team.

All that was left was to iron out the details of his contract, which includes accommodation.

"They're looking for a finisher with speed," said Ademolu, who also had options in Norway and Canada's A-League.

"They didn't say exactly what my role would be, but from what was written in the paper about me, I think I'm expected to start."

Trelleborgs, which earned promotion to the top division of Swedish soccer this season, currently sports a 2-4-3 mark good for 10th in the 14-team league. The Swedish season starts in April and runs until November.

"This is a great opportunity for me," Ademolu said. "If I do well as a pro, I think it will open up doors (to the Canadian senior national team) more than if I'd stayed in school. They take the game very serious in Sweden. You have to be as close to perfect even in practice.

"At this level, there are no bad players. It's a job now, but it's a fun one."

© The Windsor Star 2004

I coached/managed Stephen's windsor nationals youth team. When his dad and I brought Stephen to toronto to try out for the U14 OSA team, they cut him and my son right away because they were from Windsor and we were told they were too far from Toronto to go to practice. Stephen later went on to lead the Ontario league in scoring and his team to the Ontario cup. My son later made the Alberta U15 squad.

Shame on OSA for wasting tax money.

Im glad Steve's talent is finally being recognized and I believe he will prove to be Canada's best ever Striker.

JUST WATCH.

Good to hear he persevered and made it despite being jerked around by the OSA. The same dumbass who cut Hargreaves runs their technical program doesn't he?

The same D_ ass I believe. I remember him distinctly. Every player that made that OSA team was from the Toronto area. The same discrimination occurs between Calgary and Edmonton with ASA which is located in Edmonton and between Alberta and CSA who seem to take mostly Ontario kids.(even though some Alberta youth teams beat Ontario and BC)

I wish they would leave politics out of sports and do whats best for the athletes development.

I didn't realize he is still just 21. With the friendlies next month likely to feature just North American-based players tt may be a while before Yallop gives him a chance with the national team (unless he tears up the Swedish league the way Occean is doing in Norway) but I'm sure he will be keeping tabs on him for the years to come and in future WCQ attempts. Especially as the likes of Pesch & Radz aren't going to be around forever, it's nice to see that we have several young strikers like Ademolu, Brillant & Occean beginning to make waves at very respectable levels of play outside of Canada.

I said it before and I would say it again: if Steve Ademolu is capable of scoring goals in the same manner that his buddy Oliver Occean is doing in Norway's Tippeligaen, then I do think that Ademolu should play a starting role in Canada's national squad. I would only recommend such a move in condition that something bad happens to Thomas Radzinski (i.e., injury, red card, etc...). I would also highly recommend Oliver Occean (Wow!!! What a player) to this position. Oliver has really impressed me. Every time I read the Norwegian headlines of the Tippeligaen, I would always discover that Occean has scored in every game (sometime 1 or 2 goals a game).

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Strange that with all the Belotte hype he fails at these leagues and then almost unknown guys such as Occean and Ademolu turn up out of the blue and seem to be well suited for this level of play.

Belotte had the talent, just not the maturity.

Archived