Fernando Aguiar Listen Up! (we support you)

Guest Georgio

Guest Georgio

It's totally up to you now. Yallop basically said that he will use you again and will accept you into his squad re: Press Conference.

Please put country before your pride. You don't know what Yallop has been thinking and you basically told us that, so please give him the benefit of the doubt and work yourself back in. You've proved it to the European Community that you can play, prove it to Yallop too - although I am sure he is aware of what you can do. Once again you do not know what he is thinking.

Show us what we know to be true. Show us all why any competing player's spot on the roster is not for the less deserving. You have all the tools so just come out, relax and play your game.

Contact Yallop and you'll have the support of everyone here. We don't want your Canadian Soccer legacy to be that of the lost disgruntled player.

You could help lead us to the World Cup and don't tell us your pride is more important then that accomplishment would be. An act towards reconciling is a show of strength, not weakness.

If you ever do contact Yallop, please chime in here at this site one last time and say soemthing to the effect of "it's up to Yallop now" so that everyone is aware of what is important to you.

And if any voyageur here has anything negative to say, don't phucking troll my thread! This thread is about our support for Fernando and about making our squad the strongest it can possibly be with all options available.

Hi fellas... ...I am relatively new here so I am not quite aware of why Fernando Aguiar went into this "national team exile"... ...

It will be deeply appreciated if anyone could provide me with the complete story... ...it's such an emotional plea by Gergio that I just really wanna know more about the whole story.

Many thanks.

I'm a big Fernando supporter as well, and have said so many times. In my opinion this thing can easily be reconciled in time for the Guatemala match in August.

Perhaps someone who knows Fernando's email address can forward this thread to him directly? I suspect with his new team etc he probably doesn't have much time to visit this site.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3083&whichpage=4

Fernando posted as "Life" in the above thread, he summed up why he didn't want to play for our national team.

Various quotes from the thread:

"Second I have no problems with anybody on the team but yes Watson is an A.s.s hole as for Frank I was dissapointed with his attitude trying to treat me like a little kid and my attitude is just fine, "

"I am proud to be canadian but being pissed on for so many years, im just tired of it and thats it I will not play for Canada again."

"Thanks guys for you support but when You e-mail a coach telling him that you will not play again and he saids ok let me know if you change your mind, come on is that the answer you are looking for, yes thats the answer I got."

He stopped posting after Sean told him off: ;)

"Hey Fernando.... You may be 32.. but grow up.

... You probobly are a great player, but your attitude is horrible ...

Oh BTW, Mr Benfica.. hows that contract coming along?"

quote:Originally posted by ballboy

Hi fellas... ...I am relatively new here so I am not quite aware of why Fernando Aguiar went into this "national team exile"... ...

It will be deeply appreciated if anyone could provide me with the complete story... ...it's such an emotional plea by Gergio that I just really wanna know more about the whole story.

Many thanks.

Search the archives, we don't want to dredge up that muck. I'm sure FA regrets his action on that day, because it hasn't happened since and redhat stated that he was contacted personally. Perhaps it was a bad day, we've all had them and stated things that we latter regret.

The ball is in your court Fernando. Call Yallop and make peace with him and the rest of the team. There's no reason to burn your bridges.

Do it for the Canadian fans who have been following your career since you first laced-up your boots for the Toronto Blizzard in the CSL.

Do it for your family, fans and friends that are all proud of being Canadian (as you are).

Most importantantly, do it for yourself as you deserve a better ending to your international career, and we know you love Canada.

Guest Jeffery S.

I support Fernando but I think as things stand it is not exactly a great moment to make amends. Mostly because after the last national team stint the team is pretty well set, and if additions come at all it will be from the Canadian A-League players and the odd injured player (Reda hopefully once back on form). Meaning that Yallop could in principle get a call, say to Aguiar he's glad to have him as an option, and then not call him up as it would mean leaving off someone working for him since Wales.

Essentially what I am saying is that the non-call-up was a lost opportunity and Fernando has obviously moved on. He is clearly opting for a decent contract until theoretical retirement, an easy place to live over the summer with his family, and maybe just forgetting about his Canada desires. If he wanted to keep fighting all out he'd have taken another offer in Portugal.

An aside, interesting to see how so many of the players on his team and equivalent rivals are shining in the Eurocup and getting offers from stronger clubs. Look at Maniche at Oporto and you have a possible parallel player in terms of level (though younger and maybe a bit more sexy -sorry Fernando :). Also thinking about Sokota for Croatia and Fyssas for Greece, both Benfica boys. This has been Fernando's playing level boys, in case there is any doubt any more.

PS, why is this a sticky?

I agree with Jeffrey. I didn't see any reason in Kingston to boot one of either Imhof or Bircham off the squad for a guy who took the time to sign up on to an internet forum to call one of his prospective Cdn. national team-mate an a-hole while saying in the same breath that there's no problem with his attitude.

As Fernando will soon be playing at an equal level to Atiba & Imhof, lower than Bircham & De Guzman, the "he's playing at a higher level" argument can't even be trotted out this time.

Guest Georgio

Holy Sh*t. This is what I meant by keep it positive G-L and in tune with the threads purpose in an attempt to show support for Aguiar's inclusion, not spouting off reasons why Aguiar will not attempt to reconcile. Just respect the possibility of it. Imhoff can and has played in different positions. Injuries happen all the time. Depth is required on all sides.

I can appreciate your insight Jeffrey but I don't wish to look at it that way, whether it is being realistic or not. There is no reason for me to believe that the team is set when there is two months before our next qualifier, yallop has expressed that there are players he is still keenly interested in looking at and there are some games in between where Yallop is looking at other players. If the team was entirely set I believe that Yallop would be trying his hardest to use a mainly A squad in the upcoming friendly tournament. Yallop is wise in his comments and leaves leeway for options. I don't wish to debate this here (maybe another thread) but my rational is that any coach who is still seriously looking at players must still be open to accepting and injecting into the squad the best players that he is looking at.

I didn't want this to turn into an opinion based thread, I thought that was kind of clear. Winnipeg Fury has expressed his problems with Aguiar's conduct in the past too but atleast he could get past the desire to put an opposing opinion in or restate regrettable comments made by Aguiar at this time. If you didn't have anything to say that would promote the possibility of Aguiar coming back, why did you have to disrespect the purpose of the thread by saying anything at all?

There is a strong possibility that we don't understand how much Aguiar trully wishes to be a part of it. Maybe I sympathise because I was cut by a pro team once and lashed out a week later and I regret having acted like I did and I would have done anything to play for that team. And maybe Aguiar has no interest in coming back, but I am showing support for the possibility of it.

And yes you guys can say whatever you want, I know this is an open forum, I just thought you might have more respect for the purpose of it and if you had an opinion you'd reserve it just this one time.

Guest Georgio

Holy Sh*t. This is what I meant by keep it positive G-L and in tune with the threads purpose in an attempt to show support for Aguiar's inclusion, not spouting off reasons why Aguiar will not attempt to reconcile. Just respect the possibility of it. Imhoff can and has played in different positions. Injuries happen all the time. Depth is required on all sides.

I can appreciate your insight Jeffrey but I don't wish to look at it that way, whether it is being realistic or not. There is no reason for me to believe that the team is set when there is two months before our next qualifier, yallop has expressed that there are players he is still keenly interested in looking at and there are some games in between where Yallop is looking at other players. If the team was entirely set I believe that Yallop would be trying his hardest to use a mainly A squad in the upcoming friendly tournament. Yallop is wise in his comments and leaves leeway for options. I don't wish to debate this here (maybe another thread) but my rational is that any coach who is still seriously looking at players must still be open to accepting and injecting into the squad the best players that he is looking at.

I didn't want this to turn into an opinion based thread, I thought that was kind of clear. Winnipeg Fury has expressed his problems with Aguiar's conduct in the past too but atleast he could get past the desire to put an opposing opinion in or restate regrettable comments made by Aguiar at this time. If you didn't have anything to say that would promote the possibility of Aguiar coming back, why did you have to disrespect the purpose of the thread by saying anything at all?

There is a strong possibility that we don't understand how much Aguiar trully wishes to be a part of it. Maybe I sympathise because I was cut by a pro team once and lashed out a week later and I regret having acted like I did and I would have done anything to play for that team. And maybe Aguiar has no interest in coming back, but I am showing support for the possibility of it.

And yes you guys can say whatever you want, I know this is an open forum, I just thought you might have more respect for the purpose of it and if you had an opinion you'd reserve it just this one time.

Guest Georgio

I suppose but my intention was for Aguiar to see it and it could have possibly inspired him with the support of his fans to take action towards reconciling.

I am a dreamer, i'll say that much!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Georgio

I can appreciate your insight Jeffrey but I don't wish to look at it that way, whether it is being realistic or not.

Well of course I'm the last one to not want Fernando on the squad, but I am trying to be realistic. It was not made as a slag at all, though I agree G-L is just poaching on this one. I have no doubt our team would be better with him. But I am just trying to interpret his move to Sweden in terms of his wanting to get a decent multi-year contract to take him to retirement at 35 (hopefully with options for a few more), and maybe get out of the Portugal maze. No doubt if he'd felt part of the Canada club he would have insisted on a higher level league, the options were in fact open to him (Vitoria Guimaraes had put in an offer). He has a top agent in Portugal, Veiga, who has a lot of Portugal MNT players (Figo recently left him).

But why not try? All we need is for Fernando to reconsider, and simply do what I think all players should be doing: stay available for your country.

Fernando, if you are out there, please reconsidred your options. I would love to see you back on the national squad. There's an old saying about Blizzard players, they never turn their backs on the fans. They always walk with pride, dignity, and loyalty. This is the old moto that the greats such as David Byrne, Roberta Bettega, Ace Ntsoelengoe, Jimmy Nicholl, Bruce Wilson, etc... have always deeply respected. Please Fernando don't forget where your roots lie. Blizzard forever.

I, and I know many others, remain un-convinced that bringing Fernando back into the squad will do any good at the present time. This thread was at one point a sticky and the lead post indicated that everyone here would support him making himself available. I spoke up because that isn't true. I'm a member of this board and *under the present circumstances* I don't feel that way. Perhaps if Fernando came on here to apologize for calling Watson (whom I'm hardly the biggest fan of) what he did in a public forum I might feel differently.

This is hardly a case of "trolling", as it was put. This is a public forum, if you want to send a private message of support to Fernando that nobody can disagree with then by all means go ahead. If someone is attempting to claim something as the views of all Voyageurs I have the right to indicate that such is not the case. Sorry.

I agree with Gianluca on this one. If you want to a unanimous letter of support to Aguair write him a personal letter yourself (I am sure you could write to him care of his club). If you post on here you will get the myriad number of views that make up the Voyageurs. If he wants to play for Canada he will make himself available and then it is Yallop's choice whether to call him or not. I highly doubt that a post on this website will have much effect on the situation nor do I think Canadian fans should be in the position of begging players to put on the red and white. Either you want to play for Canada or you don't. If you want to play you make yourself available and it is up to the coach to call you or not. Personally, I would hope that Aguair would make himself available and that Yallop would call him if he is confident that he will not upset team chemistry. The first move is Aguair's though, he was not kicked off but removed himself from consideration.

Maybe I've missed something here. But I thought that FA did not get called because he did not make the squad following the training sesion in the UK. Save for perhaps one or two persons here, none have us could have possibly have seen him perform in order to make a fair assessment. What puzzled most of us, myself included, was why a player who plays at that level is not considered for the MNT. Nothing more. Therefore, I have to agree with an earlier point, now that he is no longer at Benfica what concrete case do we have to claim that there exist any kind of injustice or any evidence to suggest that FA's addition would make Canada a stronger squad than it would be with the player who would lose his spot on the team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Well, 99% sure. His registration e-mail seems to be legit, and the IP that he posted from traces back to a Portuguese Internet Service provider.

It was Fernando of course. I'd recognize that lax proofreading anywhere.

Guest Georgio

So let me get this straight. If Aguiar contacted Yallop to make himself available some people here would not support him. Unless he comes to a chat forum and apologizes for calling someone a name FIRST! The guy was ignored for almost a decade and he quite possibly spoke out of an impulse of anger. And signing up on a forum doesn't mean that he fully considered what he was about to say, that's just stupid, I don't fully consider the ramifications of what I say all the time, and I can assure you that I am never as frustrated as Fernando appeared to be after being left off the squad for the Wales match with all the other sh!t that happened to him before in the past.

Something is seriously wrong with that. I wish I as more articulate at times, but I think the pride before country stigma also applies to some here too when it would not hurt anyone if Fernando made himself available. And if it did hurt anyone on the team Yallop would be able to deal with that by not including him.

This to me is about Fernando making himself available, not about whether he will play because that is not a sure thing and is also up to the coach. It's not about this forum's collective ego either.

Man I wish he would prove some of you nimrods wrong by making himself available, definately not apologizing on this forum, making the team, starting or playing an important role in our qualification round, helping bring us to the World Cup and then playing another important role at the World Cup as all players do, including those on the bench.

Now that would be sweet!

I challenge you Fernando to do this. If you don't your a bloody chickensh!t and a prick!

32 years old with your experience is a great age, especially for the time of getting Canada to the World Cup. So he'd be 34 at the World Cup and he could be the player coach that Watson wanted to be (i know that scenario is not likely) and .... just soak it up baby!

You guys may have noticed I've changed my tact.